Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2008, 18:37   #61
Senior - BHPian

Why not the current V6 TDI does 0to100 in 10.2 (+/-) secs and the PD takes the same time. The common rail does it in 8.8 secs and the cost differential is small so why not. I driven the 2 liter passat with PD frankly there is a little clatter and the engine takes a while to windup!

If BMW/Merc/Audi can give multiple options adn I believe the Passat is also going to offered in various forms why not?
What is reliability issues have you had?

cheers
Old 17th July 2008, 21:46   #62
Senior - BHPian

canonball: Realibilty.well I can go on on this one.The first to go was the front passenger seat.the seat electronics simply gave up.Then the sunroof motor went.Its been 6 months and skoda is still trying to source the part.Ridiculous.Thirdly the xenons stopped working.In fact they did not stop working but were permanently on even when the light switch was off.I have had trouble with my tachometer.The needle refused to budge.Alothough that has been rectified.These are the few I can remember.And the skoda after sale service is worst to say the least.They just dont have the inventory of spares.
Old 18th July 2008, 10:09   #63
Senior - BHPian

So is yours a oneoff case or are there other Superb owners with similar stories? What year is your car? I do hear about bad service/bad dealer culture and a few laura's with defects but friends who have both laura & octavia have had problem free ownership.
Old 18th July 2008, 14:30   #64
Senior - BHPian

Well i know atleast 10 more people who have faced one problem or the other.Problems which should not incurr in a 23 lakh car.In one case the engine simpy seized after it sucked water from the road from under the radiator .There are people who travel extensively(more than 4000 kms a month) giving up there superb and buying sonata embera diesel.Also the hight service cost is killing.Ialso have a sonata which has done about 2.5 lakh kms. and apart from few hiccups here and there it goes well.
Old 24th July 2008, 16:11   #65
BHPian

If any of you have been watching the Tour de France, you can see the new Superb's as the support cars..
Old 24th July 2008, 22:37   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Well i know atleast 10 more people who have faced one problem or the other.Problems which should not incurr in a 23 lakh car.In one case the engine simpy seized after it sucked water from the road from under the radiator .There are people who travel extensively(more than 4000 kms a month) giving up there superb and buying sonata embera diesel.Also the hight service cost is killing.Ialso have a sonata which has done about 2.5 lakh kms. and apart from few hiccups here and there it goes well.
We have a laura and it has been virtually trouble free (knock on wood) we have had it for about 2 years now (?). As far picking a hyundai over a skoda, I would not do it.

Last edited by spawnofsatan : 24th July 2008 at 22:39.
Old 24th July 2008, 22:45   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
We have a laura and it has been virtually trouble free (knock on wood) we have had it for about 2 years now (?). As far picking a hyundai over a skoda, I would not do it.
Is it? You're really really lucky man. I've not just heard, but seen ridiculous faults with Lauras, and know three examples of owners who were sick of the car and got rid of it within 12 months of ownership/usage. Where did you buy your car from and get it serviced? JMD?
Old 25th July 2008, 01:58   #68
Senior - BHPian

spawn: All i have to say is you just plain lucky.And frankly skoda is not really that great a brand.So choosing a korean over a czech or vis a versa is really a no brainer.
Old 25th July 2008, 03:16   #69
Team-BHP Support

mishmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
skoda is not really that great a brand.So choosing a korean over a czech or vis a versa is really a no brainer.
Is it really worth it - making such statements in this day and age?

Skoda's a part of the VW Group (has been for a long time now), and the influence shows in their models. Their cars were known for their terrible quality in the past but a lot of their problems have been sorted out now.

Reliability issues creep into all products. Remember the horrendous time Mercedes-Benz had with it's quality issues, not so long ago?

It's only recently that world-wide, Hyundai's are being recognized as a serious competitor to Honda and Toyota. They've improved drastically since they started out.

You've made a general statement without taking all this into consideration.

There isn't any no-brainer - it's a personal choice.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th July 2008 at 03:20.
Old 25th July 2008, 09:11   #70
Senior - BHPian

aah:Yes it is a general statement .Pick up a skoda or a hyundai.They are equally good ar equally bad.If you have a positive experience with a brand you tend to like the brand and if you dont then you have a perception of negativity.Also how the world takes to the brand ultimately does not matter.If you happy with a car in your country end of the story .And your liking for skoda just because its VW arm intrigues me..They have access to a large parts bin but even then they have more than there share of realibility issues.And as far as Hyundai is concerned its a comparison I gave taking into consideration what i practically experienced.I am not seeling you a Hyundai.
Old 26th July 2008, 00:09   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Is it? You're really really lucky man. I've not just heard, but seen ridiculous faults with Lauras, and know three examples of owners who were sick of the car and got rid of it within 12 months of ownership/usage. Where did you buy your car from and get it serviced? JMD?
We bought the car from Autobahn at Prabhadevi, mumbai. The service is great and we love it.

As far as hyundais being superior to skodas, I highly doubt it.

The first cue is the design, most hyundais are a mish-mash of other cars, I would rather have something else than a poor copy.
Old 1st August 2008, 15:04   #72
Senior - BHPian

"PD Engine" it is, is what I have confrimed from the horses mouth. They will launch the 2 liter PD engine putting ot 140 bhp first in first quarter 2009, and the common rail will follow in late 2010 to mid 2011. The PD does 0 to 100 in 10.3 sec, its a shame that Skoda can't bring the common rail....internal compultions is what I was told...more like lets not disturb the VW/Audi stable and Indian customers are anyways 2nd rate so why give them choices first lets see how we can milk them..the government milks consumer with duties anyway so lets join the bandwagon.

Anyways I doubt I am going to wait that long for the common rail
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks