Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2019, 13:48   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda to end diesel car sales in Europe in 2021

Honda Motor Co Ltd has announced that it would phase out all diesel cars by 2021 in favor of models with electric propulsion systems, as the Japanese automaker moves to electrify all of its European cars by 2025.

Stricter emissions regulations corroborated with a decreasing demand for diesels are the main reasons for the switch over.

Indications are already there as the Euro-spec CR-V comes with a hybrid power-train as a substitute for the previous generation’s diesel engine while the new Honda E lacks a combustion engine altogether.

The next-gen Jazz due on in 2020 will be offered exclusively as a hybrid as part of Honda’s greater plan to electrify its entire Euro lineup by the middle of the next decade.

Quote:
Japan’s No. 3 automaker has said it would cut the number of car model variations to a third of current offerings by 2025, reducing global production costs by 10% and redirecting those savings toward advanced research and development
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th September 2019 at 14:07.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 17:23   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda to end diesel car sales in Europe in 2021

My goodness, diesel is really getting a bad name, huh? Everyone seems to be either signing off it, or lowering their commitment. Sucks for us turbo-diesel lovers.

But then, diesel was never a Honda strength anyway? You can count the number of Honda diesel engines on your fingers (of one hand). A small, independent company like Honda has limited resources - unlike Toyota - and has to pick & choose where to invest. The company is also super dependent on the USA where diesels don't count for anything.

So, understandable.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 19:46   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My goodness, diesel is really getting a bad name, huh? Everyone seems to be either signing off it, or lowering their commitment. Sucks for us turbo-diesel lovers.

But then, diesel was never a Honda strength anyway? You can count the number of Honda diesel engines on your fingers (of one hand). A small, independent company like Honda has limited resources - unlike Toyota - and has to pick & choose where to invest. The company is also super dependent on the USA where diesels don't count for anything.

So, understandable.
Agreed. When put into perspective, Honda's most powerful diesel is the 4 pot in the CRV. So nothing of significance was lost here.

When I come to think of it, Honda hasn't ever made a production car with more than 6 cylinders :o
raystriker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 22:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, nobody cares about Honda diesels. I think their 2025 all-EV target is too ambitious.
Would have been big news if VW said they're going to stop making diesel engine.
Quote:
My goodness, diesel is really getting a bad name, huh?
VW just hastened the inevitable. Diesel engines in passengers cars die a little before petrol engines.

IIRC, Volvo committed not to develop more diesel engines for cars. I guess they might have a gen or two of new petrol engines, but would just modify the current diesel to meet new emission requirements and eventually phase it out.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 23:38   #5
Team-BHP Support

Related -

Honda India clarifies that the company doesn't have any plans to stop diesel engines in the Indian market -

Quote:
NEW DELHI: Japanese automaker Honda Cars India Limited (HCIL) said it has no plans to stop production of diesel vehicles in the near future, contrary to its European counterpart which plans to discontinue diesel models by 2021 and focus on electric vehicles.

The Indian subsidiary currently sells 75% of petrol and 25% of diesel cars, however this is an overall figure and it may vary from model to model, the company said.

It also said that to comply with stricter Bharat Stage - VI emissions in India, the carmaker has upgraded its two diesel engines for BS-VI which powers Amaze, City, WR-V, BR-V, Civic and CR-V.
Read the full report here.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 09:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think we car lovers also need to start making the right noises about EVs and take some responsibility for the Global warming. While we love the Diesel and high revving petrols, I think emissions are a real issue which we should think about from a larger (more global) perspective.

I just hope the VR tech becomes good enough that we could continue to enjoy driving big diesels and off-roaders and high revving petrols in a virtual environment without the associated emissions.

I think the tiny girl speech at UN did have an impact on me
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 09:24   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Related -

Honda India clarifies that the company doesn't have any plans to stop diesel engines in the Indian market -
I believe once Maruti, VW, Renault, Nissan, etc stop making diesels in the mass market segment, companies making BS6 diesels like Hyundai, Honda, Mahindra and Tata stand to gain a lot. The 1.5 iDTEC should be mated to an automatic in the Honda City. Even if its 80bhp variant as in the Amaze, people would still get a City over a Vento or a Verna diesel automatic.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 23:15   #8
BHPian

If we take the example of Seltos which has an LNT based Diesel, although the lowest variant cost difference between Gasoline and Diesel BS VI versions is 30K only, the difference in highest variant is 3Lacs. Due to CAFE and RDE regulations, all makers would have to shift to SCR ( Urea Tank based tech), which would increase the differential further by another 50K-100k. A Hybrid with a comparable mileage as diesel might turn out to be cheaper than a Diesel. That is the logic on which all Japanese OEMs operate including Honda.
All these theories will go for a toss if the traditional heavy vehicle makers like TATA and Mahindra develop cheaper BSVI diesels. Industry intelligence already indicates TATA / Mahindra wouldn't have very expensive BSVI diesels. By shedding of excess weight, then they can more easily achieve CAFE and RDE norms. Interesting times ahead...
Carma2017 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 00:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Honda has such a minuscule market in Europe, am sure no one noticed. You'll spot a Chevy in India with higher frequency than Hondas in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
I believe once Maruti, VW, Renault, Nissan, etc stop making diesels in the mass market segment, companies making BS6 diesels like Hyundai, Honda, Mahindra and Tata stand to gain a lot.
Barring Maruti, remaining have Euro 6 diesels already in EU. Infact they might even take advantage of Suzuki caught napping in terms of BS6 diesel readiness (related thread (Maruti 1.5L Diesel : Official Review (Ciaz, Ertiga))).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks