Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2019, 18:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units

Toyota has sold 1 crore Land Cruisers globally in 68 years since its launch. Today, the Land Cruiser is sold in 170 countries and sells around 4,00,000 units annually.

Toyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units-land-cruiser-1.jpg

Launched in 1951, the Land Cruiser was used by Japan’s National Police Reserve. Exports began in 1955 and 100 cars would be exported from Japan every year. Exports increased to 10,000 by mid-1960s and by 1980, 10 lakh Land Cruisers were sold. It is said that 14 different models with thousands of variants have been produced.

Toyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units-land-cruiser-2.jpg

Toyota claims that in some countries, 50-year-old Land Cruisers are still in commercial use. The carmaker says that the SUV is used in Africa for humanitarian assistance, in Australia's zinc and copper mines around 1,600 metres underground and in Costa Rica, where they are used to harvest carrots 3,500 metres above sea level.

Link to Team-BHP News
ChiragM is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 11:28   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units

Guessing this number includes the Land Cruiser-Prado? Nevertheless, an astonishing achievement for one of the world's most iconic SUVs. I almost bought one a couple of years back. Loved the 80 & 100-Series back then (love the 80 even today). This is the ultimate combination of practicality + reliability + space + offroad capability money can buy.

But I sure wish they'd update the generations more often. The current-gen Landcruiser is now 13 years old! That is ridiculous for such an expensive SUV. Just to put things in perspective, in this same time, we've seen THREE new generations of the S-Class!
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 01:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nevertheless, an astonishing achievement for one of the world's most iconic SUVs.
Indeed.

Toyota still produce the Land Cruiser 70 series today. You can buy one new, in various configurations. Be it a UTE or a Wagon. The high price does not stop people from buying them. In the used market, they command a premium that is sometimes higher than even Land Rover's.

The one produced today still sticks to the basics. Aside from engine management systems and some active safety systems, there are no electronics. There is absolutely nothing that can go wrong with it.

https://www.toyota.co.nz/new-car/lan...nd-cruiser-70/
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 04:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

It is the car that made the brand Toyota as we know it today, more than the Corolla.

The car evokes the romanticism with overland adventures through remote regions far away from urban civilization. I dream of driving one of those 70 series LCs across Australia and South Africa through the remote parts of the country. Would love to rent the diesel manual with the single turbo 1VD-FTV. Most of the cars customized for overlanding adventures have two spare wheels and two fuel tanks with 130 liters of diesel.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 3rd October 2019 at 04:12.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 04:18   #5
BHPian

I'm not 100% sure but there's a rumour that next gen LCs will be a reality by 2021 or so. I know about this only because the USA don't be getting them. They'll only get the Lexus equivalent. Not sure if this news made the rounds on here.
Old 3rd October 2019, 06:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
But I sure wish they'd update the generations more often.
Contrary opinion :

The LC is known for it's mechanical prowess and utmost reliability. It's the vehicle you'd expect any sensible mechanic to fix (even the newer models) and not chase the manufacturer to get your car fixed.

For me, it's the car I'd buy to last me a lifetime. Most vehicles in the present day era have too much modern-day electronic trickery. The LC is a safe-haven for those who want a workhorse which doesn't throw tantrums (I'm still waiting for my car to return, Skoda!)

Yes, Toyota may build cars that follow the "I'm an appliance" mantra, but they really ace it. They may sacrifice some features or gizmos (though omission of A.Auto/Carplay earlier on the Yaris was a bad move), but you are willing to forgive it for it's shortcomings.

Eg : Personally, I'd sacrifice 5mm or 10mm thickness to get a headphone jack. It's the sole reason I'm not upgrading to a newer Oneplus from my 4 year old OP3.
sharktale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 07:29   #7
Team-BHP Support

What else would you want in a vehicle if you want your SUV to be more than a mall crawler?

The sales justify and I still see few new LC's being sold.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 08:45   #8
BANNED

Quote:
But I sure wish they'd update the generations more often. The current-gen Landcruiser is now 13 years old! That is ridiculous for such an expensive SUV. Just to put things in perspective, in this same time, we've seen THREE new generations of the S-Class!
Dunno the veracity of the claim, but I have heard that LC's are made with at least 25years lifespan for every component from the design stage itself. Goes against the keep up with the trend idea.
Personal vehicle volume of the LC's are very low compared to institution sales. Hardly an oilfield in the Middle East that is not littered with them, not to mention all the UN/NGOs.
Long hard life and reliability are the demands of the core consumer, not keeping up with the trend. And remote base mechanics and store keepers are thankful for it.

Cheers
gthang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 08:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
T

Toyota claims that in some countries, 50-year-old Land Cruisers are still in commercial use. The carmaker says that the SUV is used in Africa for humanitarian assistance, in Australia's zinc and copper mines around 1,600 metres underground and in Costa Rica, where they are used to harvest carrots 3,500 metres above sea level.

Link to Team-BHP News
To add- by terrorists all over the world for their activities - byproduct of being the epitome of reliability. It is the AK47 equivalent for automobile- except for the pricing
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 10:02   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Dunno the veracity of the claim, but I have heard that LC's are made with at least 25years lifespan for every component from the design stage itself. Goes against the keep up with the trend idea.
Personal vehicle volume of the LC's are very low compared to institution sales. Hardly an oilfield in the Middle East that is not littered with them, not to mention all the UN/NGOs.
Long hard life and reliability are the demands of the core consumer, not keeping up with the trend. And remote base mechanics and store keepers are thankful for it.

Cheers
25 years? Oh Damn. I guess I have to start looking to replace my "American Prado" in Ten years
Toyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units-img_20190803_160145.jpg

In the past 50000 miles she's been with us, the only part which "broke down" were the ignition coils. They have a 150000 miles life, and 2 went kaput at 160,000

Pretty much goes anywhere too

Toyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units-img_20190505_164244.jpg

Toyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units-20190202_143545.jpg

Last edited by tsk1979 : 3rd October 2019 at 10:05.
tsk1979 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 11:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Cumulative Global Sales of the Toyota Land Cruiser Series Surpass 10 Million Units

Quote:
Toyota City, Japan, September 20, 2019―Toyota Motor Corporation (Toyota) announces today that cumulative global sales of its Land Cruiser1 series2 have surpassed 10 million units. According to Toyota data, cumulative sales stood at 10 million units as of August 31, 2019.

The Land Cruiser is Toyota's longest-selling car3. It launched on August 1, 1951, as the Toyota "Jeep BJ," and production has continued for 68 years.
Full-scale exports of the Land Cruiser began with the 20 Series, which was introduced in November 1955, four years after the launch of the first-generation car. Since then, Toyota has consistently developed versions that cater to customer needs, without sacrificing the reliability, durability, and drivability on poor roads that served as the basis of development concepts on which the Land Cruiser is based. The Land Cruiser has, for this reason, continued to receive the support of customers around the world. In the beginning, fewer than 100 units were exported per year; by 1965, 10 years after full-scale exports commenced, that figure had surpassed 10,000 units per year. At present, the Land Cruiser is sold in approximately 170 countries and regions worldwide, with annual global sales standing at approximately 400,000 units.

The Land Cruiser contributed significantly to increased trust in the Toyota brand around the world, and created a foothold for the company to expand its exports. Due to its outstanding reliability and durability, there are regions where Land Cruiser 40 Series vehicles continue to be used today, some 50 years after they were manufactured.

The history of the Land Cruiser symbolizes Toyota's QDR―Quality, Durability, and Reliability; at the same time, it is the source of Toyota's car-making for the world, and for people. The Land Cruiser is a reassuring companion for carrying out work and living a variety of lifestyles; it is a car that transports people's lives and items, and that fulfills people's mobility dreams; and it is a car that enables people to go where they want, when they want, and to return safe and sound.

Since the launch of the Land Cruiser 20 Series in 1955, Toyota has expanded its export destinations with a focus on Central and South America, the Middle East, and Southeast Asia. At present, the Land Cruiser is sold in approximately 170 countries and regions worldwide, and in 2018, approximately 400,000 units were sold.

Sales by Region in 2018
Toyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units-006_en.jpg

While the majority of production takes place in Japan, CKD production takes place in Kenya and Portugal.

Production volume in 2018
Toyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units-007_en.jpg
We hear the name Landcruiser and we get the picture of a luxury SUV in our mind. But the vehicle that started it all was a Jeep or more precisely a 1951 Toyota Jeep which evolved to become the Landcruiser brand as we know it today.
Toyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units-1951_bj.jpg

The Landcruiser family tree
Toyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units-lineage.jpg

Landcruiser is a family of vehicles, there are three types of Landcruisers and they are completely different from each other and aimed at specific audiences. They are 1) Heavy Duty, 2) Station Wagon and 3) Light Duty. In India Toyota sells only the Landcruiser Prado 150 which is from their light duty line up and the Landcruiser 200 which is from their station wagon range. Toyota do not sell the Heavy Duty series in India, but still we can find many in the used car market which probably reached our shore as consulate vehicles.

Heavy Duty BJ / 20 / 40 / 70 Series and pictured below is a 2014 LandCruiser 70 series.
Toyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units-2014_70.jpg

Station Wagon -55 / 60 / 80 / 100 / 200 Series and pictured below is the 2012 LandCruiser 200.
Toyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units-2012_200.jpg

Light Duty -70 / 90 / 120 / 150 Series and pictured below is the 2013 LandCruiser Prado 150.
Toyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units-2013_150_prado.jpg

If you can't find the right type of LandCrusier for your needs from the above list, fret not. You can surely find one from the 70 series line up which has a single cab pickup, a double cab pickup, a wagon and a troop carrier.
Toyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units-2017toyotalandcruiser70series.jpg

Do not let the agricultural looks of the 70 series pickup bother you, it is safer than it looks.

Quote:
Despite its old age, the Japanese manufacturer improved the breed from time to time, mainly to keep it compliant with ever-stringent emissions and safety regulations. As reported back in September, the emissions bit has been taken care of by updating the 4.5-liter turbo diesel V8 with better everything. As for safety, the Australia's ANCAP awarded the Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Series in Single-Cab Chassis format 35.75 points out of a maximum of 37.

That translates to a 5-start overall safety rating. The key to this perfect score is the addition of miscellaneous bits and bobs, including dual frontal airbags, side curtain airbags, and a driver knee airbag. Beyond that, the 2017 model year of the workhorse also boasts advanced seat belt reminders for both front seats. If you were also expecting sci-fi tech like autonomous emergency braking or lane support, I’m afraid that the 70 Series doesn’t have those.

Still, goodies such as electronic stability control come as standard, as does hill launch assist, electronic brake force distribution, and emergency brake assist. If it’s not obvious yet, allow me to highlight that those features are plenty enough for a utilitarian vehicle that first rolled off the production line in '80s.
Src:
1) https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/toyota/29534066.html
2) https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...fety-from-anca

Edit:
I had this as the wallpaper on my Pioneer stereo for a while, the picture is a pencil sketch of all important Landcruisers till now.
Toyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units-img_20170319_183100.jpg

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...review-51.html (Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review)

Last edited by Sankar : 3rd October 2019 at 11:23.
Sankar is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 17:18   #12

I am pasting an ode to the Land Cruiser written by some Aussie. Quite a piece I thought.

QUOTE "The Land Cruiser is a tough, no-nonsense vehicle that will keep going long after the Volvo has shattered into a million pieces. Way back when, Land Rover had a 97% market share in the rougher bits of Australia. After the Land Cruiser came along and demonstrated to Bruce that a car needn’t necessarily fall to pieces when presented with a small stone, that share fell to just 2%.

It was the Land Cruiser that put Toyota on the global map, and obviously the company is keen that its newest standard bearer continues to dominate in the world of peacekeeping, mining, terrorism, outback farming and taking children called Arabella to school in Godalming.

That’s why the company tells us it employed 1,500 people for five years to design and engineer it. Toyota is also at pains to highlight the thing’s simplicity. Unlike most modern cars, the Land Cruiser is not a monocoque. The chassis and the body are two separate units and, says its maker, there’s a good reason for this. In Kazakhstan, people do not have access to laser-aligned rigs on which crashed cars can be repaired; just some sledgehammers. And it’s for the same reason that the new car does not have an electronic handbrake or fancy headlamps or computerized air suspension. Because Borat does not have a laptop, it gets standard coil springs with adjustable hydraulic shock absorbers.

Inside, it’s the same story, with big buttons and levers that can be operated by cloven hooves, and much vinyl that can be cleaned with water from the river. The message, then, is clear. This is a car built to work. A machine for people whose need for reliability is not just a matter of convenience, but a matter of life and death. You break down on a sheep station in Oz in December and there’s no RAC at the end of a phone. You are cooked by the sun, and then eaten by dingoes".UNQUOTE
Kamran Mohsin is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 18:53   #13
BHPian

An ode to the Land Cruiser

When a certain Mr. Greg Miller (CEO of the Larry H. Miller Group of Companies), realized that Toyota did not maintain a museum to celebrate the history of it's favorite and famous vehicle, the idea to create a museum of his own both as a place to display his collection and as a way to celebrate the mighty Land Cruiser heritage started to form in his mind. Greg Miller has always loved Land Cruisers. In his words, “When I’m in a Land Cruiser, I’m usually in a place I love, with people I love, doing what I love.” For many years, Greg has been collecting historically significant Land Cruisers and adding them to his collection.

The Land Cruiser Heritage Museum is located in Salt Lake City, Utah

The mission of this Museum is to "preserve and celebrate the history of the Toyota Land Cruiser, and to inspire adventure."

The goal of the museum is to acquire and display one of every model of Land Cruiser ever produced, which is well over 100 models. Private collectors and Land Cruiser enthusiasts have loaned the Museum vehicles, vintage owner’s manuals, over 1000 scale models, tool kits, marketing materials, memorabilia and artwork, all of which are on display. It's a Nonprofit Museum.

Within the walls of the museum rare and classic Land Cruisers are carefully preserved while their stories are shared. It houses what is believed to be the world's most diverse collection of Land Cruisers. Models range from a beautifully patina'd 1953 Toyota Jeep to a pristine 200 series. You'll see 20 series, 40 series, 55s, 60 series, 70 series, 80s, 90 series, 100s, a 105 and many other rare "cousins" of the Land Cruiser, including a Delta mini-Cruiser, Blizzards, a PX-10, and Mega-Cruisers. You'll see the first Land Cruiser sold in the United States, the first (and only) four-wheeled vehicle to traverse all seven continents, and more.

Expedition 7

Greg also outfitted several 78 series Land Cruisers and took them on a journey around the world, driving them on all seven continents, including Antarctica. Popularly known as the E7, the idea of this particular expedition spanning 58,000 miles which took 3 years to complete; was hatched with Mr. Scott Brady, publisher and chairman of Overland Journal and www.ExpeditionPortal.com While setting wheels down on all seven continents was the primary goal,the E7 team drove on some of the world’s most iconic routes as well. In North America, it was the Dalton Highway out of Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. In Europe, it was the northern-most vehicle-accessible road in the world - Nordkapp, Norway. Crossing the Asian continent through Siberia would include the infamous M56 Kolyma Highway, known better as the Road of Bones. In Australia, the choice was the Canning Stock Route. The Namib Desert and Skeleton Coast were to be in Africa. The last leg of the expedition, team saw the Pan-American Highway— the world’s longest “motorable road”—spanning North and South America. The vehicles used were:

1. 78 SERIES LAND CRUISERS
2. 79 SERIES LAND CRUISER
3. LAND CRUISER 70 DOUBLE CAB
4. AT-44 HILUX
5. VDJ76 LAND CRUISER

Toyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units-1.0.jpgToyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units-2.0.jpgToyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units-3.0.jpgToyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units-4.0.jpgToyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units-5.0.jpg

The museum already has housed pretty rare vehicles and also catalogues them beautifully with inside out detailed images of them all on their website. For e.g. a 1978, FJ55RV-KCQ has following images among others:

Toyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units-1.jpgToyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units-3.jpgToyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units-5.jpgToyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units-6.jpg

They have also mentioned a list of all the models they are further searching for and would happy to enlist if anyone helps them in finding them out.
They are also looking for all things Land Cruiser: Books, Brochures, manuals,
Repair manuals, Posters, Old photographs, Tools, Scale models, Pedal cars, NOS OEM parts, Decals, Memorabilia of all types.

They really are die-hard fans of the mighty Cruiser.

Source: expeditions7.com, landcruiserhm.com

sites worth visiting
bmw_lover is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 18:53   #14
Team-BHP Support

It's a legend for a reason and almost in each and every market it sells, the single most complain is the prices. It's expensive everywhere, more so in our country due to the Taxes.

From whatever I hear privately, sadly there will be no LC-200 in India after March 2020 as they don't have a Euro 6 Engine. They will upgrade the Prado with 2,8 Ltr engine although. But who knows if they can pull up a surprise. The next generation is widely expected with a 6 Cylinder Engine and Hybrid power train with no Diesel options.

This is my favorite color incidentally owned by a known and rides with matching BF tyres .

Toyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units-22.jpeg

Toyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units-1.jpeg

Toyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units-whatsapp-image-20191003-6.03.17-pm.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 4th October 2019 at 01:00. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
Turbanator is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 19:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Just to put it in right perspective, I would like to put here the picture of what started it all

The 1951 Toyota Jeep BJ

Toyota Land Cruiser global sales cross 1 crore units-toyota-lc-1951-bj.jpg

Source: https://blog.toyota.co.uk/wp-content...08/1951_BJ.jpg

https://blog.toyota.co.uk/history-of...-duty-models-2

I would like to know what the thoughts, of those who were behind 1951, are today (I know I am thinking wishfully).

The evolution of this to what it is today, would be the best testimony to the "all that what is Japanese"

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks