Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2004, 14:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

this is what it's all about. The BMWs are constantly a topic of debate all over the world. what i think, BMW is already good at most things, has taken a leap of faith and decided to challenge not just us but itself too. i think we should rise to it.
as far as one man running the show, i think it makes more sense when it comes to designing because it's one man's vision taking form. too many people trying to agree on the same design looks highly improbable. BMWs fate, that these designs turned out to be quirky.
Old 23rd March 2004, 16:02   #17
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW present designs are toooo futuristic, if u can call it futuristic. They may look good 10 years down the line. But not now.
Old 24th March 2004, 05:46   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (v12 @ Mar. 23 2004,14:32)]BMW present designs are toooo futuristic, if u can call it futuristic. They may look good 10 years down the line. But not now.
Hey V12,

They will look ANCIENT 10 years down the line!

I dont think the new designs are too futuristic (although i do think a lot of car designs are tending to be that way).
If you look at the designs independently, they are quite simplistic....dare i say so.....

cheers
Old 1st April 2004, 21:23   #19
snoopy41

hey,hey,hey,,passionate debates about Mr Bangle are fine,,but the BMW group is just going from strength to strength,, ,,well also the April issue of Autocarindia has the cover story that they r finally (really):blues: no,sincerely launching the 318i,,at 26 lakhs,,this year honest,,why r they falling into the same trap with such disastrous pricing as mercedes has done,,also we have got a short write up on pg 13 of said issue

Old 2nd April 2004, 02:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

I agree snoopy, BMW has always priced its cars a lil lower than Mercedes in other countries, dunno whats happened to them here.

Frankly BMW might re-think its pricing ( i hope, according to some insiders i know of who deal in BMWs in India). Cuz i dont see people who'd wanna manually adjust their seats in a car worth 26 lakhs.

revvmaster
Old 2nd April 2004, 10:55   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] BMW has always priced its cars a lil lower than Mercedes in other countries, dunno whats happened to them here.
Localization pal, and the sheer economies of scale that Mercedes-Benz now enjoys. Mercedes has a fully fledged assembly facility at Pune, while BMW cars are still direct imports.

GTO
Old 2nd April 2004, 11:27   #22
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I've heard that BMW is gonna turbocharge its petrol cars as well. Now imgine a turbocharged M5
Old 2nd April 2004, 13:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

Yea pal, i think we'd talked about the TC BMWs coming in for the next range of BMW engines. This news isn't confirmed yet, but if true means the end of an era of BMW NA cars, some of the best we've ever seen.

Frankly there is still nothing more challenging than working on an NA engine. TCing to me just feels like cheating your way to power.

Revv
Old 2nd April 2004, 16:16   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Revvmaster @ April 02 2004,12:23)]Frankly there is still nothing more challenging than working on an NA engine. TCing to me just feels like cheating your way to power.
True...

NA and TC is like beauty and the beast!!!

-Rehaan
Old 2nd April 2004, 19:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

damn, im going to miss the inline-6. my favourite BMW engine. up there even before the 4.0L V8 in the M5.
but i guess once your done with squeezing all the power out of a NA engine, the other ways to go is turbocharging and supercharging.
revv, cheating their way to power would be if the started using nitrous oxide. just my opinion though.
Old 3rd April 2004, 00:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

Well p-head what i indicated was that for a brand like BMW who are known for NA engines, it seems distressful that they are gonna go TC (if they do).

You are right about the power reaching a peak where u need to go TC or supercharging to extract more... but somehow a BMW with TC, SC seems kinda odd!!! (i am putting mini outta the pic cuz it doesnt have the BMW badge)

Revv

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks