Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2019, 12:03   #46
Team-BHP Support

re: The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Looks like I am the only one here who loves the looks, that slight curve on the hood, is just wow!

Have always loved the "not so futuristic" interiors. I would be seriously considering buying this one!
You're not the only one. There are a few of us here.

The photo comparison posted in the previous page shows just how much better the car looks now. Perhaps the pictures are not doing it justice, for some here?

In that comparison, you can see how sharp the front has gotten, the headlights have gotten sleeker and the grille, wider and more defined. The droopy bonnet is similar to the F30 3-Series, as is the 3D-ish grille.

When you examine the side profile, you can see just how sleeker and sharper the new car is in comparison to the old one. The green-house I.e. the windows have been pinched and are now narrower than the old car's humongous green-house. The crease that runs across the side profile has now been given more definition. The wheel arches are larger and the metal-heavy areas around the wheel arches have been reduced, giving it an overall sleeker and sharper profile. It's definitely a lot less bulky-looking than the old car.

For the rear, something similar has been achieved, with the narrower tail lights. The rear bumper has been tucked in a bit as well.

Upon carefully examining the exterior design, one can tell that the 'skin' appears to be wrapped tightly around the body and wheel arches.

These details are not immediately apparent in photographs, but will be prominent in the flesh.

There is no doubt in my mind that in terms of overall exterior design, the new car trumps the old car by a mile and a half. And this is coming from the owner of the now-old generation Octavia.
suhaas307 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 10:36   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
You're not the only one. There are a few of us here.
I completely agree. I love the near perfect balance of futuristic and elegant looks. But that's where it ends for me.
Frankly, I am disappointed by the discontinuation of the 1.8 TSI! The 1.5L mild hybrid will make it a mediocre performer and most probably we in India won't get the 2.0 TSI 4x4 anytime soon (probably through the RS route for few lucky ones only).
And that way, I am sooooo happy to have picked up my 1.8 TSI, 2 months back
mrinmoy_s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 17:44   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
Is the rear (boot) too rounded? Seems to look like Dzire and Ciaz. Hopefully this is just in pictures. Loved Octavia's simple cuts and angles.
Looks more like the Hyundai sedan twins to me.
Old 15th November 2019, 23:11   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Great looking car in my view - looks Superbesque to me. Don’t think the absence of the 1.8 TSI will be felt - 10 bhp is neither here nor there. My gen 2 Superb with 160 HP from the 1.8 TSI was good enough to drive- and this will probably perform better than that. Wonder if they will bring the diesels to India - it puzzles me that Skoda is launching diesels but Audi is not.

Probably a good 18 months before this makes it to our shores though.
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 01:57   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
New Gen Skoda Octavia Vs. Octavia III,

Attachment 1934351
Of all the things - looks are very subjective. For me Gen 2 looks better than gen 3 and definitely New Gen Octi is the least favorite. IMO in this pic it's almost mimicking Kia Stinger - Ki[ee]da anyone!? .
Old 16th November 2019, 03:43   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinmoy_s View Post
Frankly, I am disappointed by the discontinuation of the 1.8 TSI! The 1.5L mild hybrid will make it a mediocre performer and most probably we in India won't get the 2.0 TSI 4x4 anytime soon (probably through the RS route for few lucky ones only).
And that way, I am sooooo happy to have picked up my 1.8 TSI, 2 months back
You know, the specs got me thinking. The 1.5 TSI mild hybrid with 150 bhp isn't so bad when you pair it to the DSG transmission.

I've driven the 1.4 TSi with 140 odd bhp and 250 nm of peak torque (incidentally identical to the 1.8 TSI's torque figures) and it's pretty good. In town, there's plenty of torque to putter around, and on the open road, there's more than adequate power to breach three-figures without breaking a sweat.

Outright punch at the top of the rev range, above 4000 RPM and beyond, is where you can perhaps tell the difference, and the manual transmission made shifting gears a slower process than the DSG. But 80% of the time you will not feel the need for that little extra grunt.

In my opinion, the DSG bridges that gap to 90% just because it shifts so quickly and seamlessly, and the new gearbox will probably be even better and more reliable, hopefully.

If you really need more grunt, you could always unlock some of its reserves by applying a new map. A simple flash will liberate at least 30 bhp, if not more, and with that you can match/breach the power figures of the old stock car for the price of an annual service at your Skoda service center.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 09:41   #52
BHPian

Quote:
You know, the specs got me thinking. The 1.5 TSI mild hybrid with 150 bhp isn't so bad when you pair it to the DSG transmission.

I've driven the 1.4 TSi with 140 odd bhp and 250 nm of peak torque (incidentally identical to the 1.8 TSI's torque figures) and it's pretty good. In town, there's plenty of torque to putter around, and on the open road, there's more than adequate power to breach three-figures without breaking a sweat.

Outright punch at the top of the rev range, above 4000 RPM and beyond, is where you can perhaps tell the difference, and the manual transmission made shifting gears a slower process than the DSG. But 80% of the time you will not feel the need for that little extra grunt.
I agree with you that the 1.5 mild hybrid+DSG may not be considerably inferior to the 1.8 TSI+DSG. Would love to drive it and compare though.

I also agree that the 1.4 TSI+Manual is no slouch and the difference is felt only in the top of the rev range. But while test driving both 1.4 TSI and 1.8 TSI back-to-back, I felt significant difference in the eagerness of the engines to reach that top range and the turbo lag. The 1.4 felt considerably lazier to reach 4k even though it was a manual and I held the gear, as against the 1.8 in Sports/Manual mode. Of course, I am an amateur when it comes to squeezing the extremes out of cars but as a regular enthusiast, I felt the difference significantly. Again, I repeat that the 1.4 is no slouch compared to the other cars in the segment but the 1.8 does give you a "special" feeling throughout the rev range

I just hope the new 1.5 mild hybrid+DSG revs like the 1.8 TSI and I am sure that 30 odd BHP difference won't even be felt in 95% of the times.
mrinmoy_s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 08:51   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
New Octavia unveiled,

Attachment 1933811

Link
The new Octavia takes up from where it predecessor left off. The styling looks fine to me except for the fact that the front looks a little swoopy round the headlights and I am not a great fan of the upright grill. Might grow on as we see it in the flesh but not a fan now.

The two spoke steering too does not click for me. I like a third spoke at the 6 'o' clock position. Looks quite innovative though.

One other thing that i quite expected is the nifty door protectors like on the Kamiq and the Karoq. Given that the doors are long, I would have expected them to be a no brainer. Could not find much evidence of it in the reviews or videos.

Those big wheels really fill the wheel wells quite well and I would hope they provide high profile tyres in India when they downsize so that the wheel wells are quite well filled out.

What I do love is the range of turbo petrol engines especially the 1.0 and 1.5L. And not for the promise they hold in the Octavia but the possibility that it might be used in their smaller sedans. The 1.0L especially with it 200Nm torque would be a useful tool in the Polo or the Rapid. Except for the 1.2 TSI the petrol range of the VW in India have been a serious disappointment.

I expect the 1.5 TSI to do the volumes. Seeing that the 1.0L has 80% of the torque of the 1.8 TSI I wouldn't be surpised to see this become quite popular as it may come in at a aggressive price point.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 09:38   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Reading some international news and reviews, the 1.5L TSI mild hybrid DSG will be less than a second slower than the 1.8L TSI but delivering better low end torque from standstill as well as much better economy.

98% of the people are not going to miss the 1.8L TSI and will be more than pleased with the 1.5L TSI. In most Skoda/VW applications this engine has been praised internationally for it's performance and efficiency. Infact most international media recommend the 1.5L TSI over the 1.6L TDI and the 2.0L TDI which was never the case before.

The case for the 2.0L TSI AWD Octavia for India is very weak imho.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 09:49   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
One other thing that i quite expected is the nifty door protectors like on the Kamiq and the Karoq. Given that the doors are long, I would have expected them to be a no brainer. Could not find much evidence of it in the reviews or videos.
Those door edge protectors are being re-evaluated by Skoda globally and possibly being done away with. For example the Kodiaq has just lost this feature in the MY20 vehicles.

See this Briskoda thread: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topi...oor-protector/

Seems they are prone to breakage plus has the potential to trap unwary fingers in the mechanism. Far better to simply fit classy moulded protection strips if really required.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 10:28   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Those door edge protectors are being re-evaluated by Skoda globally and possibly being done away with.
Ah,that explains why. Potential lawsuits if it injures fingers.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 17th November 2019, 11:43   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Reading some international news and reviews, the 1.5L TSI mild hybrid DSG will be less than a second slower than the 1.8L TSI but delivering better low end torque from standstill as well as much better economy.
I think the version to look out for is 1.4TSI PHEV. It will leave the 1.8TSI in the dust (as long as battery is charged). Based on the specifications for the Superb IV, the 1.4TSI PHEV version of the Superb clocks the same 0-100km/h time as the 2.0TSI (190HP). It would be the same for the Octavia.

In the third generation Octavia, the RS version is 1.2s faster than the 1.5TSI. This gap should also close significantly with the 1.4TSI PHEV.
StarrySky is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 14:09   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I think the version to look out for is 1.4TSI PHEV. It will leave the 1.8TSI in the dust (as long as battery is charged). Based on the specifications for the Superb IV, the 1.4TSI PHEV version of the Superb clocks the same 0-100km/h time as the 2.0TSI (190HP). It would be the same for the Octavia.

In the third generation Octavia, the RS version is 1.2s faster than the 1.5TSI. This gap should also close significantly with the 1.4TSI PHEV.
Ok the 1.4TSI PHEV is something I too am waiting for to come to India as a replacement for the 1.8TSI.But wouldn't it also be significantly heavier than the normal 1.8tsi (3rd gen) and the new 1.5TSI dsg and also affect the handling??Plus almost all hybrids have wooden like brakes AFAIK.
Old 17th November 2019, 14:48   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIVTEC View Post
Ok the 1.4TSI PHEV is something I too am waiting for to come to India as a replacement for the 1.8TSI.But wouldn't it also be significantly heavier than the normal 1.8tsi (3rd gen) and the new 1.5TSI dsg and also affect the handling??Plus almost all hybrids have wooden like brakes AFAIK.
While the PHEV sounds really good it is only on paper for us in India.

There is not even a sliver of hope for Skoda to get a PHEV into India cause the government offers no subsidy and imposes full tax on PHEV. The cost would mean the Octavia PHEV will probably cross 40L and the Superb iV PHEV will be above 50.

Rest assured there is no PHEV that will even be considered.

The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-whatsapp-image-20191117-14.47.40.jpeg
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 20:48   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
While the PHEV sounds really good it is only on paper for us in India.
That is a dampener. But, looking at the Superb prices here (excluding road-tax), and the current Superb prices in India, the PHEV versions need not price themselves out of the market if launched in India. Skoda offers PHEV in all trims here. So, for eg:, a PHEV in Style trim could be offered at a slight premium over the L&K TDI version. An L&K trim Superb PHEV may be priced similar to L&K trim of the Kodiaq TDI. If Skoda wants, I think the cost can be kept well under 50L on-road for a Superb PHEV. In other words, Skoda can undercut Camry if they want to.

Average sales of the Skoda Superb over the last 6 months has been about 110, whereas the Camry's has been about 50. I think a Superb PHEV can add to the Superb's sales numbers, but probably another 20 or 25 cars won't justify the investments needed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed