Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2019, 00:33   #1
BHPian

Ferrari Roma - Vantage killer?

The fifth new model from Maranello this year - F8 Tributo, F8 Tributo Spider, 812 GTS, SF90 Stradale… and now Roma, designed to muscle in on the Aston Martin Vantage and AMG GT’s patch.

Ferrari Roma - Vantage killer?-ferrari_roma_01.jpg

GTC4 Lusso T is the big front-engined V8 Grand Tourer, Portofino is the front-engined V8 convertible, F8 Tributo and hybrid SF90 Stradale have the hardcore mid-engine V8 market covered and Roma is something new - a front-engined V8 coupe, a bit faster and more dynamic than Portofino, that plugs a sizeable gap in the line-up.

Ferrari Roma - Vantage killer?-ferrari_roma_03.jpg

Ferrari tends to use separate platforms for separate model lines, but the Roma’s basis is the Portofino - same wheelbase, same 3.9-litre twin turbo V8 engine, but with a few crucial changes. The engine has been juiced up by 19bhp to 611bhp at 7500rpm, it uses the new eight-speed DCT gearbox from the SF90 Stradale and the interior is entirely new. Ferrari is calling the Roma a 2+, rather than a 2+2, and with only the pictures here to hand it’s unclear exactly what that means - optional rear seats is our best guess.

Ferrari Roma - Vantage killer?-ferrari_roma_04.jpg

Performance is enhanced over the Portofino, partly down to the extra grunt, partly down to weight loss - at 1472kg dry, it weighs 73kg less than it’s open top sister car. So, 0-62mph in 3.4 seconds is a tenth faster than the Portofino and two tenths faster than the 503bhp Vantage, 0-124mph in 9.3 seconds is comfortably faster than both and a top speed of 198mph+ is plenty for anyone that lives in the real world.

Ferrari Roma - Vantage killer?-ferrari_roma_05.jpg

SOURCE
rshanker is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 00:39   #2
BHPian

Re: Ferrari Roma - Vantage killer?

If they offer it with a manual, I don't see why the new Vantage/AMR would even sell (which they aren't, already). Bellissima, Ferrari!
raystriker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 08:03   #3
BHPian

What a looker it is! Also the Ferrari interiors have been around for quite a while now. Although not too sure about this one, welcome to see a change. Reminds me of the old Supra though. Definitely a Vantage killer. I feel like this will replace the Portofino in a while.
TSIboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 13:02   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raystriker View Post
If they offer it with a manual, I don't see why the new Vantage/AMR would even sell (which they aren't, already). Bellissima, Ferrari!
Guess, we won't be seeing a manual Ferrari anytime soon or maybe ever..

The car looks striking and is a beauty, but I kinda feel the styling is a bit unFerrarish

Especially the headlights reminds me of the Supra
The rear and interiors too.

To be frank, if you remove the badging, I would wager this is a new Aston Martin.
DicKy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 01:54   #5
BHPian

Shmee got a first look, as always

Ferrari have also posted a brief video of the event
rshanker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 18:51   #6
BHPian

Front reminds me of Aston Martin, rear looks like it was designed by Porsche and interior looks like a Japanese Sports Car.

Great looking car. But can't say it's a Ferrari until someone points it out.
ZenMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 20:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

With every new launch of Ferrari I start loving their cars from yesteryears more.

812 Superfast, my love for F12 Berlinetta increases mutlifold.

F8 Tributo (This is still very okay, considering it is more of a derivative of 458/488 design), I appreciate the purity of F430 design even better.

Even their new nomenclature also sucks. Hard to belive that they can't come up with good names when just simply translating some numbers in their monther tounge brings exotic sounding names.

4 Door=Quattroporte
800=Ottocento
Old 15th November 2019, 21:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

This thing is devoid of any identity, IMO.

You could plaster any marquee brand name on that car and it would pass off as their own.

Oh well, if it sells, which I think it would every ones happy.
bigron is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 21:38   #9

It looks like an electric car with that grille IMO, I wouldn't be surprised if they make this their first mass production electric car in the future. That is of course considering they electrify their entry level models before the top end.
Old 15th November 2019, 22:29   #10
KMT
BHPian

The lines have a strong resemblance to a 365 GTB4 Daytona.
The Roma has gorgeous lines.
Old 24th December 2019, 11:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Ferrari Roma - Watch Ferrari Roma turn heads in this Official Video

RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 12:31   #12
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree to some of the view points mentioned in this thread. I personally love the timeless design of the older Ferraris specially the 288, 348 and 355. Amongst modern-day Ferraris, the F430 looks timeless to me. IMO Ferrari peaked with the 458 but their newer designs lack some amount of charisma. I felt the same when I first saw images of the 812 however, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw one in flesh. It is a handsome looking car but it will still not qualify as a timeless design in my books.

That said, I personally love the way the Roma looks. The perfect blend of long-bonnet-short-boot silhouette, the flared rear wheel arches, the curvy rear and the race-car inspired interior cabin layout are great design elements. Not sure if I can compare it to the new Vantage, but the Roma surely looks straight out of a Bond flick, more so in the Grigio Silverstone paintshade.

With supercars heading towards extreme category, there is a lack of a perfectly usable supercar on a regular basis. I am sure the cars are getting more user-friendly but the rat race is all about performance figures and hence modern supercars ought to be more otherworldly and aerodynamically perfect which means they tend to look a little more edgier and sharper with every generation. The Roma, in comparison, surely looks more of a daily-driver supercar, much like the sporty 911s. However, I shall reserve this comment till actual real-world comparison reports and first-hand experiences roll out.

Last edited by //M : 24th December 2019 at 12:32.
Old 24th December 2019, 15:19   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Looks nice. But bland.
I dont really like or resonate with these modern day super / hyper cars.

Vastly prefer those Ferrari’s of yesteryear’s - the 250 GT Lusso, 250 GT Berlinetta SWB, 275 GT, 250LM, 340MM, 156MM, 375MM, 308 GTB, 512BB, Dino 246, 195 Vignale...

And all those other wonderful Marques - Lagonda, Lancia, Alvis, Allard, Alfa Romeo, MG, Jaguar, Lotus...Oh! I could go on and on.

But the greatest inspirational feeling of romance and love of the Automobile is epitomised (in my opinion) by the fantastic cars of the 20th century. The 1920’s, 1930’s, the 1950’s, 1960’s and to some extent the 1970’s and 1980’s. To me, the 20th century, was and will always be the Golden Age of Motoring and The Automobile.

All else, is passé, irrespective of all the splendiferous technological marvels they throw at us these days.
Old 9th August 2020, 11:51   #14
BANNED

The reviews have started trickling in

turbo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 19:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Ferrari Roma review by Auto Trader

Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com