Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2019, 10:53   #1
BHPian

Aston Martin reveals its first SUV in 106 years, the DBX

Aston Martin today took the covers off its first SUV in its 106-year history

Aston Martin reveals its first SUV in 106 years, the DBX-screenshot_20191120111937_chrome.jpg

Aston Martin reveals its first SUV in 106 years, the DBX-screenshot_20191120111958_chrome.jpg

Aston Martin reveals its first SUV in 106 years, the DBX-screenshot_20191120112025_chrome.jpg

• New dedicated SUV platform
  • Powered by a new 4-litre, twin-turbocharged V8 engine
  • Nine-speed torque convertor automatic gearbox
  • Adaptive triple volume air suspension
  • 0 to 100kph in 4.5 seconds
  • Top speed of 181mph / 290kph.
  • Aerodynamics were an important consideration
  • Luxurious handcrafted interior
  • Abundance of Technology

Quote:
Aston Martin Lagonda President & Group CEO, Dr. Andy Palmer said: “I can’t emphasise enough how incredibly exciting and significant DBX is for Aston Martin.
This is a real landmark for this great British brand and I promise that DBX will reward all who experience it in their everyday lives.”

The foundation of DBX is a new dedicated SUV platform. Utilising bonded aluminium, a construction method Aston Martin has refined through the development of its sports cars, the body structure is both very light and incredibly stiff, assisting in the delivery of an overall kerbweight of 2,245kg.

Adaptive triple volume air suspension has been combined with the latest 48v electric anti-roll control system (eARC) and electronic adaptive dampers to provide the new SUV with a huge breadth of ability. With its capacity to raise the ride height by 45mm or lower it by 50mm the air suspension gives any driver the confidence to tackle a wide range of terrain.

Powered by a new version of the characterful 4-litre, twin-turbocharged V8 engine found in the DB11 and Vantage, DBX features an impressive output of 550 hp and 700 Nm of torque, which can propel DBX from 0 to 100kph in 4.5 seconds and on to a top speed of 181mph / 290kph.

Transmitting this power and torque to the ground is a nine-speed torque convertor automatic gearbox, allied to an all-wheel drive system with active differentials featuring an active central differential and an electronic rear limited slip differential (eDiff). This allows the torque to be moved precisely both fore and aft in the vehicle and also across the rear axle. When combined with the bespoke steering system that has been tuned to deliver feel and sports car-like response, DBX imbues the driver with an overriding sense of control, whatever the conditions.

With 632 litres of boot space and 40:20:40 split folding rear seats DBX possesses all the flexible load capacity expected of an SUV with class-leading interior space.

The luxurious handcrafted interior of the DBX is designed to provide equal space and comfort, whether sitting in the front or rear of the car.

The DBX has an abundance of technology. A 10.25-inch TFT screen sits flush in the centre console, while a huge 12.3-inch TFT screen provides a wealth of information to the driver. Apple CarPlay comes as standard, as does a 360-degree camera system and ambient lighting that offers 64 different colours in two zones.

With its all-wheel drive system, DBX is a car that will allow the company to increase its presence in markets where perhaps the weather or terrain is less than conducive to rear-wheel drive sports cars.

Full Article

Last edited by JS Kwt : 20th November 2019 at 11:17.
JS Kwt is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 10:58   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Aston Martin reveals its first SUV in 106 years, the DBX

Top Gear has released a first look release video -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 11:57   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Kwt View Post
Aston Martin today took the covers off its first SUV in its 106-year history

Attachment 1936680

Attachment 1936679

Attachment 1936681
At first look I thought I was looking at the Ford Figo

The overall form, design and even the interiors don't stand out from any angle. I feel sad for companies known for good sports cars who are forced to move to uncharted territory of SUVs just to keep up with the changing market preferences. I am reminded of the likes of Sony and Nokia of the yester-years.

This might not sell very well but I could be very wrong here. I had the same thought after the first look at the Cullinan!
ashis89 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 12:04   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I feel sad for companies known for good sports cars who are forced to move to uncharted territory of SUVs just to keep up with the changing market preferences.
Desperate times call for desperate measures. Aston tried its first motorcycle also this month - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...otorcycle.html (AMB 001: Aston Martin's first motorcycle!)

In comparison, an SUV should be a lot more familiar territory!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 13:21   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
At first look I thought I was looking at the Ford Figo

The overall form, design and even the interiors don't stand out from any angle.
Here are some better pics

Aston Martin reveals its first SUV in 106 years, the DBX-screenshot_20191120134506_twitter.jpg

Aston Martin reveals its first SUV in 106 years, the DBX-screenshot_20191120134649_chrome.jpg

Aston Martin reveals its first SUV in 106 years, the DBX-screenshot_20191120134524_twitter.jpg

Aston Martin reveals its first SUV in 106 years, the DBX-screenshot_20191120134741_chrome.jpg

Aston Martin reveals its first SUV in 106 years, the DBX-screenshot_20191120135634_chrome.jpg

Aston Martin reveals its first SUV in 106 years, the DBX-screenshot_20191120135530_chrome.jpg

Aston Martin reveals its first SUV in 106 years, the DBX-screenshot_20191120135556_chrome.jpg

Aston Martin reveals its first SUV in 106 years, the DBX-screenshot_20191120135730_chrome.jpg

Aston Martin reveals its first SUV in 106 years, the DBX-screenshot_20191120135706_chrome.jpg

Source

Source Aston Martin

Last edited by JS Kwt : 20th November 2019 at 13:33.
JS Kwt is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 13:22   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Desperate times call for desperate measures. Aston tried its first motorcycle also this month - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...otorcycle.html (AMB 001: Aston Martin's first motorcycle!)

In comparison, an SUV should be a lot more familiar territory!
I think the bike was kind of a design exercise, as someone else is making the bike (kind of like the AM37 powerboat). They have been getting into a lot of design exercises in recent times, like the concept flying car and the service to design custom garages for their top customers. The bike will probably only be offered to the Valkyrie or Valhalla buyers.

--
Overall I like the design but there are a few angles I don't like. They should not have gone for that grille tho. It feels a bit stale. The Zagato grill could have been more interesting.

Looking at the powertrain, I feel like they're leaving space for a DBX "S" variant to be introduced later. But deep down I feel like they didn't want to be in the 6XX hp zone and be compared to the Urus as the latter would have probably had an upperhand, thanks to it's magical electronics-something Aston hasn't shown much mastery in.
Attached Thumbnails
Aston Martin reveals its first SUV in 106 years, the DBX-astonmartindbzcentenarycollection71570197013.jpg  

raystriker is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 15:20   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raystriker View Post
--
Overall I like the design....
Slightly , the older model in that picture has so much more presence without being aggressive or in-your-face.
Old 20th November 2019, 15:23   #8
BHPian

I am wondering if "DNA" will still be relevant in the near future ??

Since Lamborghini, Aston Martin and Ferrari (To launch in 2023) are making SUVs to cater to demand, will they let go of their DNA of Performance car manufacturers to ??

On the DBX, no offence to anyone here but it looks like Puma and Urus had a baby

Aston Martin reveals its first SUV in 106 years, the DBX-puma.jpg

Source : Motor 1
Sk8r is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 15:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
On the DBX, no offence to anyone here but it looks like Puma and Urus had a baby

Attachment 1936821

Source : Motor 1
Are you sure?
The grill is different, headlights are different, body style and proportions are different. I don't see any similarities.
raystriker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 19:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Mat Watson reviews the DBX

Sad thing is that he doesn't get to drive it as its a preproduction prototype but still we get to see the usual in depth look at the interior and exterior

Last edited by ram87pune : 20th November 2019 at 20:14.
ram87pune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 20:25   #11
BHPian

Man! This totally looks like a DC design inspired SUV reminiscent of his Toyota Fortuner. That tail lamp totally looks like an upset Looney toons Daffy Duck's beak. Also, whoever suggested that interior color combo thought that the clay model prototype looked good and said "hmm, no need to colorize". Aston Martin "used to" make good looking cars. Now they just look sad and about to shed tears.
Old 20th November 2019, 20:29   #12
BHPian

It's sad to see brands such as Aston Martin being compelled to produce SUVs to remain relevant. Lamborghini had to do the same. But as far as initial impressions are concerned, the Urus stays much closer to the Lambo DNA than the DBX does to it's brand image. I have the feeling that the car will look better with larger Rapide-style headlamps and with that duck-tail spoiler deleted.
Old 20th November 2019, 21:39   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
It's sad to see brands such as Aston Martin being compelled to produce SUVs to remain relevant. Lamborghini had to do the same. But as far as initial impressions are concerned, the Urus stays much closer to the Lambo DNA than the DBX does to it's brand image. I have the feeling that the car will look better with larger Rapide-style headlamps and with that duck-tail spoiler deleted.
I don't wanna be that guy, but I'm a stickler for facts. There is nothing Lamborghini about the Urus. Everything from the chassis to the powertrain is from Audi. The Urus is basically a Q8 beneath. On the other hand, Aston Martin are known for their grand touring cars, so, an SUV could be a logical extension for the family man who identifies deeply with the brand. Why compromise?
Old 21st November 2019, 09:29   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Aston Martin reveals its first SUV in 106 years, the DBX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
I am wondering if "DNA" will still be relevant in the near future ??
So true. All the purists can take a hike . SUVs add to the top line as well as the bottom line (the latter, greatly so). End of the day, they are delivering what customers are asking for. Just look at how popular the Lamborghini Urus is.

As for the sports cars, I've always said that a successful Cayenne or Macan leads to a superior 911. The SUVs give these companies more $$$ for R&D.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 10:11   #15
BHPian

Re: Aston Martin reveals its first SUV in 106 years, the DBX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Man! This totally looks like a DC design inspired SUV reminiscent of his Toyota Fortuner. That tail lamp totally looks like an upset Looney toons Daffy Duck's beak. Also, whoever suggested that interior color combo thought that the clay model prototype looked good and said "hmm, no need to colorize". Aston Martin "used to" make good looking cars. Now they just look sad and about to shed tears.
I would like to interject because I actually like the design, especially the rear. I was a bit skeptic on seeing the earlier photos but after seeing the videos, I really like the design, the front and the sides are a bit bland but the rear tail light genuinely looks amazing like a lifted new Vantage (which I love). So, if you don't like this tail-light, you probably don't like any current-gen Aston Martins, I suppose!

Another point about the design, I don't know why but the sides look quite similar to the Jaguar F-Pace. Given the complicated historical relationship between Aston Martin and Jaguar, shouldn't be a surprise since they have a similar design philosophy
dragracer567 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks