Team-BHP - With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/216053-toyota-japan-tokyo-motor-show-2019-more.html)

Team-BHP was invited to the Tokyo Motor Show 2019 by Toyota.

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-cover-pic.jpg

As a part of the 4-day trip, the agenda covered:

So, join me on a fun-filled trip as I take you across Tokyo with a day-by-day coverage.

Index:

Day 1
- The Welcome Session
- The Toyota LQ Concept
- Toyota's Ultra-compact BEVs
- Toyota's Strategy for Vehicle Electrification
- The Toyota e-Palette
Day 1 Cont’d
- The Ride Experience and Exhibition Tour
- The Toyota APM
- The SORA FC Bus
- The Toyota Supra and 86
- The Toyota Century
- The 2021 Toyota Mirai Concept
Day 2
- Lexus at the Tokyo Motor Show 2019
- Toyota at the Tokyo Motor Show 2019
- The Promo Models
- The Ferris Wheel at Odaiba
Day 3
- Visit to the New National Stadium, Tokyo
- The Yakatabune Ride
- Visit to Toyota Research Institute - Advanced Development (TRI-AD)
Day 4
- Visit to a hydrogen refueling station with an attached FCV showroom
- Visit to teamLab Borderless
Conclusion
- The awesomeness about Japan!

Day 1:

By the end of this session, we were quite exhausted what with so many presentations one after the other. Toyota had a surprise in store for us! Continued in the next post. :)

Day 1: Cont’d

And that concluded a super-hectic first day of the trip!

Day 2

And that concludes a chock-a-block second day of the trip!

Day 3

And that, essentially sums up Day 3. I was going to be spending my last night here in Tokyo! As I folded all my clothes and packed all my stuff, I was recollecting all the good memories of the last few days that I had spent here.

Day 4

The last day of the trip! We had two more things on our agenda before we wrapped up the trip.

And thus, that brings an end to this amazing trip! Sayōnara! But, before I conclude this thread, I thought I must share something about Japan, and about some of the unique experiences I had in this incredible country.

Disclaimer: Toyota invited Team-BHP to Japan. They covered all the travel expenses for this event.

The awesomeness about Japan!

When you hear Japan, what do you possibly think of?

Land of the Rising Sun, renowned brands such as Sony, Casio, Seiko, Nintendo, Toyota, Honda, Yamaha, Canon, Pioneer etc., the iconic bullet train Shinkansen, sumo wrestling, karate and judo, instant noodles, the sensu folding fan, video game titles such as Super Mario, Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, the Soul series, the Resident Evil series etc., Mount Fuji, ninjas, samurais and geishas, anime and manga, sushi and sashimi, the infamous Yakuza - the list goes on and on. We've all read or heard about Japan from several sources and how this country is fascinating (and weird) in so many aspects.

So, when GTO dropped me a mail back in September 2018 (yep you read that right; the invite was sent a year back!), asking me if I was interested in attending the Tokyo Motor Show 2019, I was taken aback for a moment! A few moments later, I sent him a response in the affirmative. It certainly took some time for the feeling to sink in. But we had a good long year to go!

From the moment I landed in Japan and the really short time I had spent there (4 days and 4 nights to be precise), I was in awe of the country, its culture and its people and their traditions. I just thought I'd share something about the experience and the things I had learnt in no particular order.

1. Japanese people are some of the most respectful and courteous people I've encountered anywhere. They will go out of their way to help you, greet and welcome you with an informal bow and a warm smile (Kon'nichiwa! translated, Hello) and bid bye with a bow and smile (Arigato gozaimasu translated, thank you). With all this constant bowing, I'm sure they must have built great vertebrae over the years!

2. Japan enjoys a very high standard of living. The Japanese people live the longest with a life expectancy at 84 years. The quality of its educational system is world class (a good friend and an old timer BHPian had his daughter shifted to a Japanese school from an Indian school!). The country has the highest population of adults who've completed senior secondary education and the infant mortality rate is the second lowest globally.

3. Japan is obsessed with PUNCTUALITY! All our presentations during the Tokyo Motor Show started on the dot, not a minute early, nor late. Our bus picked us up from the respective locations on time (as indicated in the schedule). When my phone alarm rang, I woke up at 5:30 AM on all the 4 days! When in Rome... :p

4. Japan has an extremely high conviction rate at 99.9%! Simply put, nearly all the criminal cases that go to trial in Japan end in a guilty verdict.

5. 1 Japanese Yen = 0.7 INR (taking into account the INR to USD and USD to JPY conversion charges). Cost of living is very high in Tokyo and some of the things are priced astronomically high! For instance, a daily morning newspaper is priced at 400 Yen!

6. Japanese railways are privatised. Rail transport services in the country are provided by over 100 private companies. Their rail transportation system enjoys an unrivalled safety record and level of punctuality. And yes, the operators do issue an official apology if the trains are delayed or even if it departs early! You might have read about an incident when a train rolled out of the station 25 seconds early and the operator issued a formal apology.

7. Japan leads the world's industrial robot production. There are so many types of these robots and not just the mechanical robots in an assembly line of a car assembly - humanoid robots (like the ASIMO from Honda), androids, animal robots, rescue robots, guard robots, astronaut robots, social robots and so on.

8. Escalator etiquette #1 - Always keep to the left of the escalator. Those who are in a hurry will quickly pass through the right.

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-20100620escalator.jpg

9. Japan has a unique umbrella culture! The rains were in full swing and I noticed too many people walking with clear plastic umbrellas in Japan. Ever wonder why?

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191025_090455.jpg

Because they are cheap, widely available and saves the Japanese folks time to hunt around for a colour/pattern of their choice when they've forgotten one and are caught in the rain. Just pick one from a convenience store for 300 Yen. If it breaks, throw it away and buy another one.

There are dedicated lockers for these umbrellas in public spaces such as a museums, malls, hotels etc. to prevent petty thieves from stealing them.

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-umbrella-locker.jpg
    (Image courtesy - Reddit)

Wet umbrellas while entering a mall? No problem. Have a sleeve for the umbrella to prevent the water from dripping on to the floor. Use the sleeve dispenser at the entrance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgJ-gEnMo00

10. If there ever was a metric such as the nation with the highest density of vending machines in the world, Japan would walk away with the honours. Turns out, there are 5.5 million vending machines in Japan - one for every 25 people! I spotted so many vending machines located in every nook and cranny of Tokyo! And these vending machines retail anything from cigarettes, soft drinks, instant noodles, vegetables, fruits, umbrellas, tea/coffee, cheap phones, SIM cards, disposable masks, sanitary napkins, undergarments, NSFW stuff and so forth. There are several reasons for this vending machine culture - convenience (who would want to go to a convenience store to get a bottle of water or a cola?), safety (zero vandalism or theft), reliability (most machines work well after they're setup and the owners maintain them too) and low prices of the goods sold (compared to a convenience store).

11. We've all enjoyed the Kit Kat wafer chocolate no? Check out some of the versions of the Kit Kat available only in Japan - strawberry cheesecake, sake, shinshu apple, purple sweet potato, amaou strawberry, rum raisin, momiji manju, itohkyuemon uji hojicha (!), matcha green tea and roughly about 300 more limited-edition seasonal and regional flavors.

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191022_210616.jpg

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191022_210619.jpg

12. How about ice creams? Japan has some of the weirdest ice cream flavours - seaweed, soy sauce, purple sweet potato, cherry blossom/sakura, chicken wing, lavender, Indian curry (!) and wait-for-it, octopus!

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191022_210830.jpg

13. When was the last time you noticed a sweet gesture from a currency exchange counter like this:

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191021_175002.jpg

Complimentary origami figures at the Narita Arrivals. I wanted to take all of 'em but refrained!

14. Tokyo has an underground bicycle vault to safely park and store the bikes without occupying the pavement space. A monthly membership costs about 2500 Yen. Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C61ANyoYCXo

15. Planning to pick up some cheap stuff like souvenirs or tools or stationery? Check out Daiso outlets. At any Daiso outlet, if the price of an item is unmarked, it retails for 100 yen. I picked up several sensu folding fans, cute fridge magnets, cellphone strap with bells, maneki-neko figurines for friends and relatives from one. I picked up this Goot branded soldering helper from a shop:

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191024_211249.jpg

16. A Team-BHP micro-meet in Tokyo? Why not? :D

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_7875a.jpg

BHPian Viju and his family drove down from Yokohama to meet me at Odaiba, Tokyo. Viju also happens to be my former classmate-friend's sister's husband. And I was meeting Divya after 15 years! This was quite an emotional meet - we spoke endlessly for hours together. This world's a small place!

17. We were walking from the Olympic stadium to our bus boarding point, when I noticed these cute construction barricades:

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191024_095939.jpg

There's even more including the Hello Kitty ones!

18. Another peculiar thing I had noticed during my brief stay there was that everyone seemed to have an iPhone! Being curious, I checked up on the internet. These stats are self-explanatory.

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-mobile-phone-share.png

Name:  Mobile phone share_2.PNG
Views: 9229
Size:  20.8 KB

19. I stayed in a hotel at Shinjuku, the alleys and streets of which are popular hangouts of the Yakuza - the organised crime syndicate of Japan.

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191024_205920.jpg

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191024_205926.jpg

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191024_205953.jpg

20. Tactile pavings or Tenji Blocks on the footpaths to assist visually impaired pedestrians, was invented in Japan in the late '60s and are a common sight on footpaths, stairways and railway station platforms:

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191024_095912.jpg

21. So I check into my hotel room, go to the washroom and notice this high-tech water closet!

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191021_202923.jpg

That seat warmer was a life saver in the cold mornings!

22. Check out these snaps of food displayed outside street food outlets and restaurants:

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191022_210105.jpg

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191022_210108.jpg

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191022_210111.jpg

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191022_210114.jpg

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191022_210121.jpg

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191025_154229.jpg

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191025_154235.jpg

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191025_154236.jpg

Looks cool no? This is Sampuru - fake food or food replicas made out of PVC or resin and bears uncanny resemblance to the real deal! These models are displayed so that the customer knows what he's getting when he pays for some dish.

23. Cameras, lenses, watches, audio equipment such as bookshelf speakers, amplifiers, DACs, AVRs, headphones, watches etc. retail cheaper in Japan compared to India. There are two popular consumer electronics outlets that retail this equipment - Yodobashi Camera and BIC Camera. Just like our Croma, Reliance Digital and the likes. If the total purchase of goods from an outlet exceeds 5,000 Yen, a 10% tax exemption can be availed at the billing counter by producing the passport. They will staple the bill on a passport page and apply a small seal. Further bills can be taped to the existing one. Additionally, a 5% discount can be availed over and above the 10% discount if one pays by a VISA card.

Japan is a paradise for watch aficionados. In addition to the home-grown brands such as Casio, Seiko, Citizen and Orient, there are several local JDM brands which do not retail out of the country and they proudly display the 'Made in Japan' tag to assure the Jap quality and workmanship to the buyer. Check out these images of Yodobashi Camera's watch outlet:

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-yodobashi-watch.jpg

24. Japan is currently facing a unique problem - its population has been on a rapid decline since 2011. The birth-rate has dropped over the years and a large chunk of the population is ageing. About 26% of the Japanese population comprises of the elderly who are aged 65 or above! By 2060, it is estimated that this figure would shoot up to 40%!

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-population-decline.jpg

Then there’s the issue of hikkomori wherein the Japanese youths have become social recluses and stay in isolation and confinement. However, there is good news. The Japanese employers are offering bonuses to their workforce for having babies! Fancy migrating to Japan?

25. Japanese cuisine - I may be entirely wrong here, but I felt some of the Japanese foods are an acquired taste and one begins to like and appreciate their dishes over time. For the love of my life, I couldn’t get myself to eat the sushi and sashimi properly thanks to the weird taste it left in the mouth. I realised that it is not just seafood which is served raw, even vegetables and meat can be served as a sashimi! Here are some of the Japanese dishes that were served:

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191021_214930.jpg

Sashimi:
    With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191021_214934.jpg

Simmered pork pieces with miso:
    With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191021_215536.jpg

Deep fried flatfish with mushrooms:
    With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191021_220723.jpg

Grilled fish:
    With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191021_220812.jpg

Grilled rice ball with soup:
    With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191021_223151.jpg

Thanks, but I'd prefer our butter chicken, dal tadka and butter naan. On the last day of our trip, we were treated to some amazing ghar ka khaana.

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191023_210351.jpg

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191025_114349.jpg

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191025_114345.jpg

26. I thought I wouldn't write about cars at least in this part, but couldn't help sharing this. This is the JPN Taxi, the Japanese variant of the iconic London Taxi:

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191023_073119.jpg

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191023_073149.jpg

This car replaced the Toyota Crown Comfort, an old school model, which was on sale until 2017. The taxicab drivers are always well dressed - most likely in a suit, tie and white gloves. They are very, very polite! Oh and did I say, the left-rear door (through which the customer is likely to board the cab) is electronically controlled by the driver?

https://youtu.be/6uFSiFhSl4M
  27. In the public car parking lots, there are these flap-type locks beneath the cars, which essentially lock the cars and preventing them from being driven away. This system lowers the flap plate when the vehicle space number is entered and the parking fee is paid.

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-img_20191024_212800.jpg

28. Japan is one of those countries which is frequently affected by natural disasters – floods, typhoons, tsunamis, earthquakes, cyclones and volcanic eruptions! Reason? Primarily, because Japan is located in the Ring of Fire or the Circum-Pacific belt in the Pacific Ocean. About 90% of the world's earthquakes and about 81% of the world's largest earthquakes occur along this belt.

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-1000pxpacific_ring_of_fire.png
    (Image courtesy - Wiki)

Heck, earthquakes happen almost daily although of low magnitudes and are not always disaster-prone. Check out these stats from Earthquake Track:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthquake Track
    Japan has had: (M1.5 or greater)

2 earthquakes in the past 24 hours

6 earthquakes in the past 7 days

34 earthquakes in the past 30 days

457 earthquakes in the past 365 days

Yet, this country is damn resilient and we’ve all read about the stories of how Japan bounces back from disasters in no time. Over time, people have been honed to help each other with robotic efficiency during such disasters and, the government have put adequate measures in place to mitigate disasters. For instance, Japan has the most advanced earthquake and tsunami warning system in the world.

And you would have probably seen this image of the world’s largest underground flood water diversion facility, built to prevent overflowing from the city’s rivers during incessant rains and typhoons. Called the Metropolitan Area Outer Underground Discharge Channel, this facility which looks like some ancient underground temple is an engineering marvel!

With Toyota in Japan - Tokyo Motor Show 2019 & more!-kasukabe2006_06_07.jpg
    (Image courtesy – Wiki)

About a week before our trip, typhoon Hagibis wreaked havoc in Japan. I was apprehensive that the trip would be called off but after a few days, life was back to normal. This country truly has its ways!

So that’s a bit about Japan as I read from various sources and experienced first-hand. Cheers to them for the upcoming Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games!

Concluding this write-up, I hope you guys liked reading it as much as I loved experiencing Japan during my short stay. Thank you for reading!

As I sat on my seat in the flight, buckled up and ready to take off, I vowed to come back to this incredible country for more! Sayonara until then…

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Wonderful report! Thanks for sharing :thumbs up

The last post on the awesomeness about Japan was just awesome! It is indeed a fascinating country to visit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gannu_1 (Post 4700791)
Check out some of the versions of the Kit Kat available only in Japan

And not to forget the Wasabi Kitkat :)

What an epic write-up!!. Japan is such a fascinating country. Can't believe you were able to cover so much in just four days - reads like you were there much longer!. My colleagues and I were there last year for a four day official trip in Tokyo, but all I remember is the airport and hotel, and some dinner, and Karaoke :)

Sexy thread, as always Gannu! I greatly respect your attention-to-detail. Comprehensive coverage, nice pics and an awesome writing style :thumbs up. Informative & fun - both. For those of us who haven't been to Japan, this thread was quite something. Especially loved post #8 too.

I am well familiar with North America & Europe. Japan & China are two great countries I want to spend at least a week in, admiring & understanding their car culture.

Thanks for sharing!

Awesome write up! It was like experiencing Tokyo through your eyes. The 'awesomeness about Japan' was truly fascinating.
Thank you for this!!

I'd love to go there just to experience the discipline in public spaces! That escalator picture is simple but mind-blowing.

Gannu, great writeup with some amazing information and pictures to back it all up. Yeah I am not a big fan of Asian food either - I love our Indian-Chinese food but cannot get to like authentic Japanese food. Or maybe I haven't tried at the right places.

Love the discipline that Japan always maintains. And it is one of the countries with the best healthcare on the planet.