Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2006, 00:56   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

on my trip to germany last year to visit a great VW show, found these oddities...

a genuine porsche jeep! and they say the cayenne is porsches 1st off roader...

Old 6th August 2006, 01:02   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

again on my trip last year, herr beutlers personal car...

(beutler was a german coachbuilder, his most famous creations were pick up and station wagon beetles, and four seater porsches...)

Old 6th August 2006, 01:06   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

and heres a suprise! a 56 beetle, fiddled around with by porsche (a one off), to fashion a beach buggy kind of thing...inspired by the fiat 500 "jolly" i presume...

Old 6th August 2006, 14:28   #34
BANNED

Karl I envy and hate you at the same time for seeing all these beauties.. lol
Old 6th August 2006, 18:36   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

all right, ill stop....but heres one for the road...

this was the view from my hotel window in frankfurt...a right hand drive 356 speedster in germany! (possibly replica, but seemed damn close)

Old 6th August 2006, 20:33   #36
Senior - BHPian

That Beetle has four door slots while the stndard Beetle has only two dors. Does it have an extended wheelbase or something?

Yes it is rather similar in principle to the Jolly.

The old offroader looks rather like the VW Kubelwagen. I havent heard of this car before....
Old 6th August 2006, 22:27   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

while on the subject of porsche curios, i seem to have forgotted a very important one...the porsche diesel tractor of the late 50s...my knowledge on them is nil, so ill leave the googling to you guys...

their service vans for the tractor business were VW barndoor buses painted in smart trademark colours with bold logo...these are WAY collectable now...

Old 16th August 2006, 20:44   #38
BHPian

And what abt the history of the post '74 models? The Porsche Turbos, the 959...
Old 16th August 2006, 23:03   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_v12
And what abt the history of the post '74 models? The Porsche Turbos, the 959...
As much as I want to, time is at a serious premium these days man. It pains me to see this thread incomplete everytime.
Old 17th August 2006, 17:09   #40
BHPian

Here are my tid-bits of contibution.
Hope you don't mind, Priyank.

PORSCHE 928:

A companion of the Porsche 944 and 924 was the Porsche 928, which was also the most famous in 1978, when it won the Car Of The Year Award. A wide, smooth coupe which was more like a fastback, it's lines appeared unhindered by bumpers, which were actually concealed beneath. The deliberately visible, rather than hidden pop-up lights gave the car a futuristic look.
This car was powered by Porsche's first V8 unit, and was a 4.4 litre SOHC aluminium unit, and had a 5-speed manual or automatic gearbox.
Even with all this and amazing road manners, 60 mph arrived in 8+ secs and genuine enthusiasts started doubting whether the blitzing performance and character of the 911 would every return.
In 1980, with Peter Schultz at the helm, the front-engined Porsches took a back seat while the 911 once again drove to the spotlight and sanity prevailed(thank God for that). However, the company kept bettering this model, and kept upgrading the engine in the meantime to 4.6, 4.9 and finally 5.4 litres in 1991, when they launched the GTS.
However, Porsche realized that their company was synonymous to the 911, and in 1995, this model quietly passed away, unmourned by anyone.

PORSCHE 911 TURBO:

1974 saw Porsche introduce turbochargers in it's road going cars. Until then, turbos and superchargers had only been active components in races, but this was just the 2nd time a road car had a turbo charger fitted to it (the credit of the 1st one went to the 2002 BMW Turbo in 1973).
Porsche had previwed a turbo fit to a 1973 road car 911 2.7 in the Paris Motor Show, and launched a 500 bhp Porche Turbo racer in 1974.
Porsche basically wanted to homologate the racer and hence furnished the car with luxuries like air-conditioning and electric windows, and quipped it with high-end things which made the car depend more on power. The mildly detuned RSR race-bred 3-litre, flat six engine had one large KKK turbo charger and was fuel injected to produce a potent 260 bhp, and had just a 4-cog gearbox.Outwardly, this car could be differentiated from the unblown 911 by a duck-tail spoiler. Since these were the diaper days of a turbo, there was enourmous lag (something which turbocharged cars still face sometimes, albeit to a lesser extent). Handling was questionable though.
The engine capacity was extended to 3.3 l in '78 and a track proven intercooler was also introduced, which boosted performance. The 5-speed gearbox appeared in 1988, and then in 1994 came the 911 Carrera Turbo we have known pretty well, with a 3.6 l, twin-KKK-turboed, boxer-six engine and four wheel drive which made it possible for the car to nudge 179mph.
The Turbos have continued to evolve since 2001 until now (2006) when we've got the same 3.6 litre twin-turbocharged engine which produces 480 bhp, and is the most powerful Porsche Turbo ever.

Pictures Coutesy : www.worldcarfans.com and www.fast-autos.net

Last edited by turbo_v12 : 17th August 2006 at 17:10.
Old 17th August 2006, 17:12   #41
BHPian

PORSCHE 959:

It is the ultimate 911 ever! That's what many auto gurus say and I whole heartedly agree with them. With Peter Schultz becoming CEO of Porsche in 1980, Porsche 911s started evolving at the usual MACH I speed.

Porsche unveiled this Gruppe B car at the 1983 Frankfurt Motor Show. Aimed at Group B rally competitions, this car needed to be homologated and needed 200 to be produced and sold for that. However, the complex 4WD system took longer than expected to develop and hence the 1st car was delivered to it's patient customer only in 1987. The car had a 2.8 litre, twi-turbocharged DOHC, air-cooled, horizontally-opposed flat-six engine, which was air-cooled but had race-proven water-cooled cylinder heads, and was mated to a six-speed gearbox. The power of this car was a phenomenal 450bhp@6500 rpm. The car boasted race-derived brakes, self-levelling suspension and a choice of firmness and ride height fropped automatically athigh speeds to reduce drag.

Before becoming an official road car, this car raced and won the Paris to Dakar rally in 1986. However, as luck would have it, Goup B, which the 959 was tailor-made for, was banned that year following a number of crashes. Porsche also raced the 959 under the 961 name at Le Mans in 1986. Changes to the car were modest. Outwardly, the front gille was extended to incorporate a wider radiator. Turbocharger pressure was increased, changes were made to the ignition and cooling, and an openeing exhaust, minus the muffler had been fixed. At the rear end, the stabilizer, which was a fixed unit in the road car, was made movable (something we see in F1 now) and enlarged in size since the engine now produced a massive 640bhp. Suspension setup was adjusted and consequently the car went 220mm closer to the tarmac, and the 956 discs replaced the original ones. Wheels were also 17" in diameter.
The car started 26th amongst 50 cars and ran faultlessly, apart from a punctured tyre in front of the pits. It was clocked at a top speed of 207mph, averaged 112mph, covered 2694 miles and nt only came 7th overall but also took the top step in it's class.

This car is truly a legend in my books.

Old 19th August 2006, 14:11   #42
BHPian

Porsche Diesel tractors!

Porsche not only made cars with horsepower but also catered to the needs of the farmers who took care of horses and went on to produce the Porsche Junior which was-
Single cylinder
822cc
Air cooled
14hp

The production by Prof.Dr.F.Porsche in early 1930's initially had mainly 3 prototypes all with gasoline engines as he could not cater to the requirement for the production of diesel engines with aircooling technology.

Later on in 1936 he went on to make the diesel versions with aircooled technology.

He also thought about the difficulty involved in handling the clutch by the farmers and so he went on to produce hydraulic coupling between the engine and the transmission.(Imagine clutchless gear shifts for the farmers!!!!??)

Later on he had 4 other models which differed in the number of cylinders it had in it.Ranging from 1 to 4 cylinder engines with interchangeable heads and cylinders!!!

Guess what he also had planned on introducing a FOUR WHEEL DRIVE in the tractor.(state of the art or what?)

They also conducted numerous tests to produce 14hp to about 55hp. (pretty kewl huh?)

But the actual production was the 14 hp version with single cylinder.

After the WWII Renault had to service the tractors worldwide
The productions of these tractors saw an end in 1963. Nonetheless een today there are some running in some farms and ranches!
Old 12th January 2010, 11:37   #43
Team-BHP Support

The Carrera 'RS' and 'RSR' series ('73 and '74)

The 911 Carrera 2.7 RS, 3.0 RS, 2.8 RSR the 3.0 RSR are highly valued by collectors and are considered by many to be the greatest classic 911s all-time. RS stands for 'Rennsport' in German, meaning 'race-sport' in English. The Carrera name was reintroduced from the 356 Carrera which had itself been named after Porsche's class victories in the Carrera Panamericana races in Mexico in the 1950s.

The RS was built so that Porsche could enter racing formulae that demanded that a certain minimum number of Production cars were made. Compared with a standard 911S, the Carrera 2.7 RS had a larger 2687 cc engine developing 210 PS (150 kW; 210 hp) with MFI, revised and stiffened suspension, a "ducktail" rear spoiler, larger brakes, wider rear wheels and rear fenders. In RS Touring form it weighed 1075 kg (2370 lb), in Sport Lightweight form it was about 100 kg (220 lb) lighter, the saving coming from the thin-gauge steel used for parts of the bodyshell and also the use of thinner glass. In total, 1580 were made, comfortably exceeding the 500 that had to be made to qualify for the vital FIA Group-4 class. 49 Carrera RS cars were built with 2808 cc engines producing 300 PS (221 kW).

In 1974, Porsche created the Carrera RS 3.0 with K-Jetronic Bosch fuel injection producing 230 PS (169 kW). It was almost twice as expensive as the 2.7 RS but offered a fair amount of racing capability for that price. The chassis was largely similar to that of the 1973 Carrera RSR and the brake system was from the Porsche 917. The use of thin metal plate panels and a spartan interior enabled the shipping weight to be reduced to around 900 kg (1984 lb).

The Carrera RSR 3.0 was sold to racing teams, and scored outright wins in several major sports car races of the mid 1970s. The green RSR (in the pictures) sports the chassis number 911 460 0037 and the engine number 684 0027 and it was one of the 3 practice cars that supported the 12 that were pressed into service in the inaugural IROC season of '73-'74.
The International Race Of Champions (IROC) was a brilliant idea: Take the best drivers from a wide array of differing motorsports and pitch them against each other to see who was really the best driver in the World at that time. All cars were identical 3.0 RSRs, all were differently coloured and the drivers had to swap cars between each race.

The 3 practice cars were called upon whenever any of the 12 cars were unable to run, and this particular car was driven in the second Riverside race by Mark Donohue, retiring on the 8th lap. Then in the 3rd Riverside race, George Folmer raced it to 5th place.

Only the top 6 drivers competed in the finale at Daytona's road course in February '74, and by then, 7 of the RSRs had been sold. The IROC had moved onto Chevrolet Camaros the following year in order to reduce costs and the 8 surviving RSRs were sold, most going on to compete in the '74 IMSA Camel GT and TransAm series.
Attached Thumbnails
Porsche Model History!-1959952083porsche911carrera27rs.jpg  

Porsche Model History!-epcp_0902_01_zporsche_911_3_0_rsr_irocfront_angled.jpg  

Porsche Model History!-epcp_0902_11_zporsche_911_3_0_rsr_iroctop_view.jpg  

Porsche Model History!-porsche911carrerarsr3.0_10.jpg  

Porsche Model History!-porsche-911-24-p7-2.jpg  

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th January 2010 at 11:46.
Old 13th January 2010, 08:28   #44
Senior - BHPian

Great thread my 5 cents to this thread
Old 19th January 2010, 17:37   #45
BHPian

Porsche- I will drive one, someday..sure..

I am so much a fan of Porsche since 1999 ! ( thats when, I found NFS 5 Porsche Unleashed)
but, with that, I so much fell in love with the car and the family Porsche..
I cannot describe !..

The shape, the contours, the sound, the music of a Porsche engine..
I just love everything about the Porsche(s), even their oversteers!!

I also wrote up a report like I actually drove the porsche, (for that, I drove it in the game ! and added some snapshots !)
Attached herewith

I dont know if that was OT, but I thought, if you like them so much you would like to read this one too.

I would surely search up some more pics/brochures, and info that I had collected, I remember, I have somewhere on my backup !

/sorry for the length of the post.. but couldnt hold myself, seeing the Porshe all over again, falling in love with the beauty!../
Attached Files
File Type: pdf auto_report1.pdf (865.0 KB, 400 views)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks