Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2007, 03:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Toyota's most significant product introduction ever-The Tundra

Toyota's most significant product introduction ever according to some.Certainly, the Japanese automaker and its U.S. dealers have spent billions of dollars creating the new truck, building a new factory in Texas to make it, renovating showrooms and service bays to fit it in and setting up a publicity schedule that would exhaust a Hollywood star.

At auto shows, in TV, print and Web advertisements, and at 300 or so boat or outdoor shows where the new Tundra will be exhibited this year -- Toyota is shouting about the Tundra.
Reason:

The Big Three's struggling sales could be hurt even more as the bigger, better Toyota Tundra targets Detroit's traditional sweet spot: the pickup truck

Of the Big Three automakers, Ford may have the most to lose, says James Hall, vice-president of auto research firm AutoPacific. GM just launched a new truck, and Ram buyers like their truck's unique front-end styling. But Ford may be the most exposed because it has the most share of the segment. "Whenever you have new players coming in, the one at the top of oligopoly gets hit the hardest," according to Hall

The tundra just illustrates one thing BIG

The new Tundra is 10 inches longer, five inches taller and four inches wider than the previous model. It can tow more than 10,000 pounds when properly equipped.
Engine choices include a 4.0-liter V-6, a 4.7-liter V-8 and a 5.7-liter V-8. It comes in three cab configurations -- the two-door, three-seat Regular Cab; the four-door, six-seat DoubleCab; and the four-door, six-seat CrewMax with its 44.5 inches of rear legroom. Buyers can pick between 5.5-, six- and 8.1-foot-long cargo beds.

Source:
MercuryNews.com | 03/02/2007 | Toyota's BIG deal

+
Toyota's Texas Shoot-out

+
Pics/For more pics:
Chicago Auto Show: Toyota goes BIG with 2007 Tundra - Autoblog
Old 3rd March 2007, 03:42   #2
BHPian

I don't really know why it would be considered their biggest launch ever but they certainly seem to have put a lot behind it. I constantly see ads for it showing its engine and brake prowess.
Old 3rd March 2007, 12:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

There are Tundras everywhere, here in the US. Every possible person who has something related to heavy duty work has it. It does defeat the so called American PickUp monopoly.This new one is huge!
Old 3rd March 2007, 12:59   #4
BHPian

Toyota's launch in this segment (Pick Up's) and their entry into NASCAR has actually touched a few raw nerves. Pick Up's are seen more american and to their heart. So is NASCAR. Toyota's entry and switching over of some key drivers have upset some of the traditional fans. It was interesting to them venting their anger through a campaign called FART (Fans Against Toyota Racing).
Old 3rd March 2007, 13:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Its huge and Ram inspired (even the engines displace the same amount 4.0L, 4.7L and 5.7L). People said the same about the Nissan Titan when it came out a few years ago, when it won every comparison test against the domestics. But it has hardly put a dent in their sales. Ofcourse pickup sales have fallen due to rising fuel prices, but thats a different story.
Most important launch? Hardly.... Significant? Yes. Its expected to do less than 10% the numbers the domestics do.
Old 3rd March 2007, 13:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post

Toyota's most significant product introduction ever according to some.Certainly, the Japanese automaker and its U.S. dealers have spent billions of dollars creating the new truck
This is not a new truck - I've seen these around in Dubai for about 2 years.
Old 3rd March 2007, 14:04   #7
Joz
BHPian

In the American market this definitely is significant. To start with, the Japs beat the big three with smaller fuel efficient cars. Now that that's done with, they are moving on to capture what little is left for the Detroiters in their home ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Dubai is sort of a weird market. Tell me what you don't see there. I was zapped when i saw a Phantom parked on a regualr bylane amidst tons of mediocre sedans.
Old 3rd March 2007, 14:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Tundra as a product exists for a long time now. But was too refined and carlike (in behaviour, not capability) for its own good. This new generation is significant as this is as trucky as it can get.
BTW, this truck has more "American" content in it than the Big 2 + 1 products.
Old 3rd March 2007, 14:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Its huge and Ram inspired (even the engines displace the same amount 4.0L, 4.7L and 5.7L).
Have you see this thing in real? The Ram looks small beside this - its humongous!

So the Japs are in big displacement territory now - after sitting in an Armada I'm bloody impressed. Their big blocks are as powerful as the Americans - and quieter + smoother.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks