Second-gen (W126) 88 23.22%
Third-gen (W140) 84 22.16%
Fourth-gen (W220) 18 4.75%
Fifth-gen (W221) 36 9.50%
Sixth-gen (W222) 135 35.62%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2020, 19:01   #16

Re: Mercedes S-Class: Which is your favourite generation?

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 19th February 2020 at 07:46.
JSR@007 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th February 2020, 20:03   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
I like the facelift S-Class more.
I am in the same boat!! Whosoever designed these headlights, Man I would kiss those hands. Very rarely can a modern car look Elegant and Macho to this high degree with perfect balance.

Pre-facelift, the S and the 7 were closer to each other in terms of desirability for me. After the face lifts, totally the S.

CHEERS!!
Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 21:09   #18
BHPian

Mercedes-Benz S Class, that too, of its latest 6th generation (W-222) is, in fact, in my view, "The luxury car built with ultimate sophistication".

Period.

As they say, "Rome wasn't built in a day", so is true with this beautiful machine. Here is an evolution of its exterior design, depicting from its lateral side :

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th February 2020 at 01:22. Reason: Fixing YouTube URL.
Ankur@VNS is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 22:10   #19
BHPian

Contrary to what my dad would say, I simply love the pre-facelift W222 with the Single LED DRL except for the standard alloys we got in India with the CKD S350. Swap those with the launch edition rims and it's a drool-worthy car. The facelift headlights ruined the looks in my opinion. I'm sure a lot of you won't agree!
advaydh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 22:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
simply because it was not called the S-Class back then.
If that's the case, would still love to wait for the W223 to be out in a few months. Proportions on the camouflaged prototypes look promising. Mercedes will probably end up with the best execution of the large grille!
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 07:50   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

For lovers of the W140, don't miss this Clarkson review. I had come very close to buying a W140 & W126. Drove a couple of examples. Problem is that these cars are too old today and no longer have that "magic" build quality or road manners. All of them drove like tired old grandmothers that would be out-handled by a 10-year old Skoda Superb. Very sloppy.

Am sure there are a tiny handful of pristine examples that drive like new, but no way their owners would part with them. Not after spending all that time & effort in their upkeep. It's like asking me to sell my Jeep.

GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 10:37   #22
NTO
BHPian

I voted for the sixth gen W222. It is the best S class ever made. Especially the one after facelift which had three DRLs each side. However, I love the W221 just because it is the only S class I have driven around and seen almost everyday during my undergrad days. My college's dean used to own one and the one I drove was owned by a friend of mine. The soft close doors, the partly digital instrument cluster, the bi xenon HIDs (first experience for me which gave a camera flash like effect), the comfort of the air suspensions, the three pointed stars in our eye sight standing proudly on the hood tip which looks as if it is kms away from the driver and the shove in the seat when floored made me fall in love with the W221.
NTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 11:10   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I voted for the first generation, the original one, the W116. For sheer visual beauty none of the later versions come close I think.

The newer ones, probably drive better, they usually do. But nothing can beat the quality and the engineering ingenuity that Mercedes put into the original W116. As they did with all their models, prior to selling out quality and engineering perfection to cost cutting with the introduction of the W124 and many, if not all, subsequent models.

Do not modern Mercedes are fine cars, if not very fine cars. But the W116 was a far better car compared to its than contemporaries, compared to the latest S-Class and current contemporaries. The gap narrows constantly.

A well looked after W116 will be head turner anywhere, even people who are not interested in cars will look and admire. No such thing with a modern S-class.

Of course, it could also be because I am a bit of an old git and I prefer old stuff. Mind you, if I had to travel by car on business a lot, I would take a modern car over any of my favourite classic cars anytime.

Actually owning a W116 is going to be tremendous fun, as a hobby car. As a daily drive, you could do much better.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 11:41   #24
BHPian

Love the 3rd and 6th the most. But voted for 3rd as it stirs up memories of my early years when i used to have poster of the same in my room. It is also the most Gangta of them all. The new one is absolutely amazing.
Old 19th February 2020, 12:37   #25
BHPian

Voted for the W222

I thought the W221 looked low-key gorgeous when I first saw it and was thought it was impossible for Mercedes to design something even more gorgeous. Mercedes being Mercedes of course proved me wrong with the "eye-gasmic" W222.
fastturtle10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 13:24   #26
BHPian

Voted the current generation W222! It looks elegant, modern and yet retains the class so closely associated with the iconic S line.

Can't remember if one of my rides was on one, but I really noticed the "S" closely on one of my trips to Germany in the mid 2000s. Was amazed at how much tech the card had back then!!

Last edited by pannags : 19th February 2020 at 13:27. Reason: grammar
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 13:51   #27
BHPian

I had the pleasure of owning a W140 S500 for a while. It was an impressive beast.

However, I voted for the W126 since it is one of the last old-generation pure mechanical machines which can be owned and ran with relative ease - simply put very little electronics.
raman.aries is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 14:32   #28
BHPian

W126 any day !

Pure elegance and class written all over it. The design is timeless and I like them in dark shades
Old 19th February 2020, 14:32   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quite commendable that the W222 is leading the poll with 40% of the votes. Says a lot about the car, especially when enthusiasts have traditionally prefer the classic & timeless old Mercedes'.

It's also the first S-Class to bring the "old days" back IMHO. The W220 was too cheapened, while the W221 had awkward styling.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 15:43   #30
BHPian

Never a dull day with the W222 S63!
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes S-Class: Which is your favourite generation?-s63.jpg  

yash2424 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks