Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2020, 13:19   #16
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Honda's new hatchback for ASEAN markets

The side renders look very odd. The front over hang is a bit too much. Somehow the car looks like a mish mash of the Civic and the BMW X1 as pointed above. While the side profile of the BMW looks very smart, this on the other hand looks like a jugaad. The wheels are still puny like those of the City. They could have just got the Civic Type-R hatchback instead.

How do they plan to position this next to the Jazz? Are they going to co-exist or is this a potential Jazz replacement?
sub.g84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 13:59   #17
BHPian

Why are the mainstream budget manufacturers scared to release a long (>4 mtr) hatchback in India. We don't know if it will be outright rejected as many people (including me) love a nicely designed hatch (hot hatch) with good proportions. As mentioned by all above, Honda city hatchback would have helped in part sharing and reduced cost for the manufacturer, and it would have been a calculated risk for them.

May be some one should take the lead and dive into it. What if, they come up with pearl.
petrol_power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 14:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

City without a boot would make the price cheaper only by 1 Lakh max. So I doubt this is it. Amaze without a boot (Brio V2) is more likely with a City like nose!
Old 20th February 2020, 16:28   #19
BHPian

The rear end of the new city resembles that of the 3 series while the rear end of its hatchback derivative resembles that of the 1 series.

On a serious note, I doubt that it'll make its way to India as it doesn't look like to be sub 4 metres in length
Old 20th February 2020, 19:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda planning a new hatchback based on the City sedan

Dont think it will be launched in India. But if they are interested, they can add some plastic cladding on the sides, make the bumpers look more butch, raise the stance of the car by giving bigger wheels and voila, Honda has a Creta rival !! They can name it Z-RV or whatever-RV they want. After all, they did the same with the Jazz and it sells more
NiInJa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 19:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

All I can say is Honda has lost the plot in India. Instead of getting this, I think they can plonk the 1.5 iVTEC with a CVT in the Jazz and launch it with a premium pricing, it will definitely have takers.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st February 2020 at 22:10. Reason: Typo.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 19:35   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
All I can say is Honda has the lost the plot in India. Instead of getting this, I think they can plonk the 1.5 iVTEC with a CVT in the Jazz and launch it with a premium pricing, it will definitely have takers.
Can't agree more, and would definitely add WR-V to the list.

BTW, resemblance to the BWM notwithstanding, the styling looks dated and uninspiring. I don't understand what the Jazz platform is missing that this is likely to introduce, except the opportunity to cut corners and cost.
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 13:57   #23
BHPian

Given that City is becoming bigger and moving towards the 15L bracket, i suppose they plan to introduce this hatch to cover the gap. Mostly they'll end up pricing this close to 10L but honestly it wont be VFM.
What's it with Honda. They are finding innovative ways to encounter failure. The need of the hour is to bring in a good rival to Creta/Seltos. Together they are doing more than 20k vehicles per month.
vigneshA is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 19:17   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Why are the mainstream budget manufacturers scared to release a long (>4 mtr) hatchback in India. We don't know if it will be outright rejected as many people (including me) love a nicely designed hatch (hot hatch) with good proportions.
I agree, in my opinion, the small pseudo SUVs are useless and have ruined the market for larger hatchbacks. A nice hatch with sorted dynamics and decent power will be much more fun to drive. But sadly people want a car with body cladding and raised seating position, which is based on a hatchback but doesn't handle as well as the hatchback it's based on and can't even go off road
Revmatch99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 20:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Why are the mainstream budget manufacturers scared to release a long (>4 mtr) hatchback in India.
We have one. Maruti Suzuki S-Cross
Latheesh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 22:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revmatch99 View Post
I agree, in my opinion, the small pseudo SUVs are useless and have ruined the market for larger hatchbacks. A nice hatch with sorted dynamics and decent power will be much more fun to drive. But sadly people want a car with body cladding and raised seating position, which is based on a hatchback but doesn't handle as well as the hatchback it's based on and can't even go off road
I agree with you. I find Baleno better looking than Brezza. But, it's not just the high-seating people are drawn to. It's the ground clearance too which clinches the deal in favour of SUVs. Our inner city roads give us a taste of off-roading. Hugh bumps, deep potholes, constant digging. If you seat 4 persons in a sedan or hatch, they sag and start scraping the undercarriage. Until the day we have table-top roads, SUVs will continue to rule, under-4m or over 4m. In fact, I suggest an under-4 meter to most people unless they haul 4 or 5-up round the year. In my car, backseat is occupied only 5 or 6 times a year. If I buy an under-4 m, I save on money and space. Darting in and out of traffic is easy, too. Above 4-m , IMO, it's better to go the whole hog and get a 7-seater.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 10:10   #27
BHPian

The long bonnet will cut into the interior space of Jazz as it will need to stick to the 4m length, and space is its current USP. As a owner of current gen Jazz, I absolutely love the space inside, very well packaged. Any reduction in it will be a step backwards for Jazz . Nothing much to distinguish it from other premium hatchbacks.
sanchari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 10:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

Weird. City(and WR-V) itself is a Jazz based compact sedan for commonwealth countries I guess? Barely saw one or two in Australia in 2 years. And none in Europe. Jazz/Fit is the global model which is available everywhere. Now reverse engineering a hatch again out of City?

The new global fit actually looks sad compared to the current one exterior wise. Good it's not coming.

Last edited by SoumenD : 22nd February 2020 at 10:29.
Old 22nd February 2020, 10:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Weird. City(and WR-V) itself is a Jazz based compact sedan for commonwealth countries I guess? Barely saw one or two in Australia in 2 years. And none in Europe. Jazz/Fit is the global model which is available everywhere. Now reverse engineering a hatch again out of City?

The new global fit actually looks sad compared to the current one exterior wise. Good it's not coming.

Right -- Fit is sold in many developed countries including Japan/US/etc.
City is mostly for ASEAN/SAARC and the likes.

I think this will be a new model (likely not named Jazz) for our markets.
Old 26th February 2020, 10:19   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda 'City Hatchback' rendered:

Quote:
It’s looking more and more likely that Southeast Asia will lose the global Honda Jazz model with the advent of the fourth generation, instead receiving a sportier, more low-slung hatchback version of the new, regionalised City

Honda planning a new hatchback based on the City sedan-2021hondacityhatchbackrender1850x369.jpg

Honda planning a new hatchback based on the City sedan-2021hondacityhatchbackrender4850x445.jpg

Honda planning a new hatchback based on the City sedan-2021hondacityhatchbackrender2850x369.jpg

Honda planning a new hatchback based on the City sedan-2021hondacityhatchbackrender5850x445-1.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 26th February 2020 at 10:22.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed