Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2020, 00:29   #46
BHPian

Re: The 7th-gen Hyundai Elantra, now unveiled

I like the clothing on the new Elantra however its looks are rightly polarizing and not exactly "timeless". These kind of designs have a tendency to look weird once the initial hype dies down.
Laxman9192 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 09:49   #47
BHPian

Honestly: owning 2 Hyundai’s. That front is just horrendous and mismatched to the car. The back—is so well designed and design pattern is symmetrical with sharp cuts. Totally ruined by that front. Like those Lexus’ we see. In your face — air dam first. Why? Hyundai?
asingh1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 19:18   #48
BHPian

Styling is personal and these polarizing designs either grow on us (not everyone) or will have very few takers. I am a sucker for boxy and angled designs. But feel this design will grow over a period of time.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...982610&thumb=1

This is my all time favorite Elantra design
Attached Thumbnails
The 7th-gen Hyundai Elantra, now unveiled-2017elantra06galactic_gray.jpg  

Silver Knight is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 19:24   #49
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Well this is far better than what they have done with the new Creta. The front looks good, the side profile is ok but the rear is a mixed bag, could have been better. Compared to the 6th gen Elantra this one looks more aggressive but again that rear is out of sync with the front.
Old 22nd March 2020, 21:22   #50
BHPian

Most of the Hyundai designs are too loud . They may look good when they are launched but after a period of about 2 years or so they age very rapidly and loose their sheen. Santro, Verna, Elantra, Sonata are examples of this. Even its sister concern Seltos looked stunning when launched but now it looks overdone from a few angles. Mature designs stand test of time like Polo, Punto, old gen. Mercedes etc.
Old 22nd March 2020, 21:55   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Knight View Post
This is my all time favorite Elantra design
In my view, the most gorgeous, balanced, modern and practical design in any automobile ever. Numero uno in my books and I'm fortunate to own it.

What Peter Schreyer did for the growth of Hyundai as a brand via design, the current lot of designers are demolishing in every way possible.

And yes, I hate clean lines and angular looks, hate it like none other.. but this car has a perfect mix of curves. Not uber boring like VW cars.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 02:27   #52
BHPian

Does it matter in the Indian context? D1 segment sedans are almost dead. Only the Octavia sells because of its brilliant engine and great looks. It wouldn't sell in our shores even if the design is good.
Old 2nd April 2020, 14:07   #53
Senior - BHPian

2021 Hyundai Elantra - by Autocar India

Walkaround by Hyundai USA

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd April 2020 at 16:35. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 16:49   #54
Senior - BHPian

I love the design. Thank god someone is trying out great new bold designs which mostly work (here) but could be an odd ball at times (new Creta). Full marks to Hyundai for atleast trying, rather than the super safe Toyota and VW designs that have failed to excite with their designs for eons of time now. This Hyundai design philosophy kind of reminds me of the sleek Chrysler designs of the early to mid 90s.
SPARKled is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 18:50   #55
Senior - BHPian

The design certainly looks different. Hyundai is always trying new and different things, be it their designs or technology. Sure some of it may not be for everybody's liking, but they never sit idle or wait and watch. Got to respect that.

In the video, she says Hyundai manufactures its own steel. I didn't know that. So they are one of the few manufacturers who have close control over steel. Other than our very own Tata, I don't think there are brands with their own steel plants.
Old 3rd April 2020, 18:48   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
In the video, she says Hyundai manufactures its own steel. I didn't know that. So they are one of the few manufacturers who have close control over steel. Other than our very own Tata, I don't think there are brands with their own steel plants.
Hyundai got to cars the very last, before that they were a pure metallurgy company. Their automobile business is a minor portion of their business, very minor and not very profitable if I've read correctly.

Their main businesses before and even today, are shipping, making ships, containers for shipping, satellites, construction vehicles like bulldozers and cranes, defence equipment, financial and credit card institutions and tooling/part manufacturing. They own several sports teams in S.Korea as well in football, volleyball and baseball.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 19:58   #57

Not a fan of new Creta's design. But this one looks stunning, especially from the front three-quarter angle. Need to wait and see how it drives.
vishnu.t91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 23:29   #58
Senior - BHPian

I think like everyone, i love the rear end and the side profile seems to gel well. Its the front end which is just too difficult to digest
The interiors look the part (in fact they are quite nice).

Like someone said on this forum, sedans have to look spectacular in these times of the CSUVs and SUVs.

Is it me or is the rear 3/4ths of the car remind you a civic (a newer update one though).
Old 9th April 2020, 16:34   #59
BHPian

Elantra in different colours and test drive video.

Last edited by M124 : 9th April 2020 at 16:35.
M124 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 11:30   #60
Senior - BHPian

2021 Elantra - World Premiere Highlights. N version also to be developed.

Most Viewed