Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2020, 16:41   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: The 7th-gen Hyundai Elantra, now unveiled

Looks wicked and great; very sharp and hunkered down; all it requires is sharp handling/power/transmission to go with the sharp suit.
Old 18th March 2020, 16:51   #32
BHPian

The 7th-gen Hyundai Elantra, now unveiled-15.jpg

- Probably the first car in the world to come with a factory approved 'dent' on the door!

- The less knowledgeable customer will definitely argue with the showroom for denting his newly ordered car!

- Increased sightings of the 2020 Elantra outside Sai Colorium and Trend Automotive (dent removal places in Blore)!

PS: Sorry for ,

PPS: Design is definitely in your face and I'm mostly a sucker for weird designs. But even I cannot make up mind if I like this or not.
Old 18th March 2020, 18:29   #33
Senior - BHPian

A polarizing design for sure. Hyundai is really pushing the boundaries of how its cars look visually.

The design, features and visual appeal now trickle down to small family sedans.

Hyundai can bring it here, but it will not sell.
Old 18th March 2020, 18:58   #34
BHPian

I don't know why people are saying that the car looks ugly. No offense to anyone, but whenever we have the new iteration of any existing model, we keep hearing these comments like "ugly, i'd buy the current gen, what were the designers smoking" etc etc.... But isn't that mostly because humans are inherently reluctant to drastic changes ? I have always felt so. We don't like changes and we take time to accept it.

Agreed, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and your opinion is about how YOU see the car. Try giving it some time and it might actually grow on you. Personally I would disagree with all who say that the car looks ugly. It looks sharp and refreshing. You cannot sell a sedan in today's world if it looks just like any other sedan in the market. You need to stand out and this one does so in a good way with a sharp yet fluidic design. Wish the handling and dynamics are just as good !!
DieselAddikt is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 20:15   #35
BHPian

Re: 2021 Hyundai Elantra unveiled with striking looks and hybrid powertrain

Looks like an amalgamation of three cars which I admire for their respective designs : the Maserati Ghibli from the front, the Mercedes CLS from the side and the Skoda Superb from the rear. Really have no idea what to make out of this. Looks good in certain angles, but a shift in perspective makes one feel like looking at a different car altogether!
Old 18th March 2020, 21:12   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
You cannot sell a sedan in today's world if it looks just like any other sedan in the market.
I'm glad you said it, mate. I repeat, you cannot sell a sedan in today's SUV and crossover crazy market without standing out. And this is Hyundai's way of doing it. They did something very similar with the Sonata last year. Now, it's the Elantra's turn.

In my opinion, Hyundai's approach is better than what FCA, GM and Ford are doing. They either quit or on the verge of exiting the segment altogether.

Though I quite like the sharp and flashy new Elantra from certain angles, I'm unable to come to terms with the fact the gorgeous Fluidic Elantra has now become this!
arvi86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 21:53   #37
Senior - BHPian

I love the way this car looks, would be a unique sedan on the roads if launched here. I only wish it came with sharp handling, powertrains and gear box to go with the looks.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 22:45   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks good and edgy all around, except for the front which looks droopy, and the grill which looks like its diseased. I'm sure, though, that the production grill will be much more conservative, at least in India.
Old 19th March 2020, 06:22   #39
Senior - BHPian

Not just Hyundai, but I hate the trend of large grills used by most manufacturers. Some of them resemble electric shavers or trimmers.
landcruiser123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 07:44   #40
Team-BHP Support

To me, the car looks incredibly ugly and what makes it stand out even more is how strikingly beautiful their sister company Kia churns out with designs. Looks like this is Hyundai's new design language and there are people who like it, so it will continue.

I'd rather put my money on an equivalent Kia, anyday.
benbsb29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 07:56   #41
Senior - BHPian

It's come full circle - Korean ugly -> Fluidic Design -> European understated design -> Korean ugly.

Looks like someone at the top said " Back to our roots!".

Surprising, for Hyundai has always had a good understanding of the market and converted that perception into profits.
AMG Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 09:59   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The 7th-gen Hyundai Elantra, now unveiled

I absolutely love the rear end styling; it's very stylish. But man, that garish face. It looks like an after-market job done by DC Designs . In the 2000s, some Hyundais wore rather quirky clothes. They had improved recently...the current i20, for instance, is one of my favourite hatchback designs.

But this new generation of Hyundais has completely lost the plot. This, at a time when Kia is churning out some great-looking cars. It's a major competitive disadvantage. Looks matter to me bigtime and I'd never buy this Elantra.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 11:39   #43
Team-BHP Support

It’s like those movies where the teaser was good to generate curiosity but full trailer was completely over the top. And with this Hyundai made one thing very clear – their competition is not Toyota or Honda.They are now fighting it out with Lexus and BMW; no other reason to explain that open mouth face!
Old 20th March 2020, 12:39   #44
BHPian

I think that the design, though slightly outlandish, just manages to do the trick for me. The squat stance and arrow-shape give the car a menacing purpose. Grills are a contentious issue these days ranging from the Beemers to the Lexuses, but heck, they eventually grow on you.
This design is an evolution in the right direction. The engine, powertrain and hybrid options also appear to be sound on paper. However, the demand for D segment sedans is unfortunately dwindling in India, and a garish soft roader would rather sell by the bucket loads as per the current trends.
docprashant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 19:06   #45
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Purely personal opinion -

Positives :
- stance is squat
- rear is very upmarket (taking cues from luxury segment)

Negatives :
- front is overdone, huge mouth like some of those large bottom feeder fish in the depths of the ocean
- overdone the angry face (what's wrong with a normal/smiling face for a car, every designer nowadays wants the face to look like a UFC fighter getting ready to trash talk his opponent in the press conference)
- just how many surfaces are there, by the sides ? do they serve any aerodynamic purpose ? diamond-cut-alloys to diamond-cut-door-panels ? looks like someone came up with this balancing tactic to make the too many surfaces on the front/rear appear less overdone (some of the too many surfaces on front&rear are there to keep the aerodynamics team happy)

Last edited by venkyhere : 21st March 2020 at 19:09.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks