Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2007, 15:21   #46
Senior - BHPian

Salil,

Will you sue someone who changes his hairstyle to look like yours or will you sue some one who changes his name to Salim Power and tries to withdraw cash from your account? I rest my case.
Old 30th March 2007, 18:01   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Salil,

Will you sue someone who changes his hairstyle to look like yours or will you sue some one who changes his name to Salim Power and tries to withdraw cash from your account? I rest my case.
Yes, i will sue someone if he copies my hairstyle provided my hairstyle is copyrighted.... ... which is the case in most automobile design...

Basically, you want to say that if there is a bleak similarity and the products don't fall in the same segment or are not directly competing with each other.... then there's no problem.

Tata 407's design and Merc Vario are very much the same in execution and also, the Indian variant of the Vario, i.e, Tempo Traveller/Excel competes with the 407 in the same segment.

The Bajaj M80 is a complete rip-off of the Honda Cub which is very well accepted.. then why no action?

In the context of the Amby and Mini, your point is very valid and I may be wrong.

I still stand by what I say.

Thank you for your comments (This was not a sarcastic statement, if you misunderstand)
Old 30th March 2007, 18:09   #48
Senior - BHPian

Look dude. No one is condoning the act of copying. If Honda was interested in suing Bajaj then it would have. But I guess there was not any significant impact on Honda's sales and so they were let go. In the case of Bajaj and the 'Gulsar' manufacturers, Bajaj's sales will be hit -> hence the suit. As I said, it is the degree to which the copying happens. The Chinese specialize in rip-offs which is why everyone gets on their case.
Old 30th March 2007, 20:17   #49
Senior - BHPian

Salil.. Do u have a China connection?
Old 30th March 2007, 20:56   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Salil.. Do u have a China connection?
No, I am 100% Indian.

I think that the title of my thread has been misunderstood a bit...

I hate Chinese cars, to be honest.

I just want to say that many manufacturers have copied designs in some part of their entire life-cycle (including Japanese manufacturers in some cases) and the major Chinese car makers will one day eventually stop copying. Just give them some time....

This is probably my last post in this thread. I will post only if somebody makes a comment on my quote.
Old 4th April 2007, 14:44   #51
BHPian

I know no one will agree but still.The Evo X is a great copy cat.The front gril is copied.Check this out............

Old 7th April 2007, 14:40   #52
BHPian

Why isn't anybody saying anything???
Old 7th April 2007, 15:21   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 KMPH View Post
I know no one will agree but still.The Evo X is a great copy cat.The front gril is copied.Check this out............

hey its a copy cann't believe my eyes

i would be happy if the copy cats can perform at par with the orignals and at half the price
Old 8th April 2007, 08:26   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
hey its a copy cann't believe my eyes

i would be happy if the copy cats can perform at par with the orignals and at half the price
Thank God. At least somebody agreed.........
Old 21st May 2007, 20:05   #55
Senior - BHPian

Just came across another one:

Merry Logo--------------------------------------------------Toyota Logo

Pic source:
CCPIT PATENT AND TRADEMARK LAW OFFICE
Old 22nd May 2007, 02:07   #56
BHPian

All car manufacturers, Merc, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari and Aston included, are copy cats. All their wheels are round - originally designed by a 10,000 year old sumerian cave man X(
Old 22nd May 2007, 22:09   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
Honda Cub and Bajaj M80

So, what moral right does Bajaj have to sue a Chinese bike maker who has made a copy of the pulsar ??

You're wrong: the M80 is copied from the Pearl Yamaha, and even then only the concept, not the actual components. The gulsar, on the other hand, is a 1:1 reproduction of the Bajaj Pulsar.
Old 2nd June 2007, 18:47   #58
BHPian

Got one more copycat. Copy Lincoln Towncar Strech Limo.

Old 3rd June 2007, 07:07   #59
BANNED

The whole world has been a copycat, the ancient Indians and Chinese invented several significant scientific and technical materials which are now in use all over the world, from number line, algebra, 0 and modern numerals which were never credited to the Indians are in use all over the world, so is the concept of sub atomic particles, Father Heidelberg on his mission to China saw the workings of a printing press and copied that and developed it further in Nuremberg, now he is credited with the modern print machine.

The Germans invented and patented almost all the critical car components from spark plug, fuel injection to the 4 stroke cycle, they also invented modern day rocket, the basic rocket and gunpowder credit goes to our neighbors China, US and Russia raced to get the German scientists so that they could quickly develop rocket technology. This word copy is more of a slander and look down that it has any substance today.
Old 3rd June 2007, 08:28   #60
BHPian

Well, we can call the Germans copy cats if they were using the exact copies of the 2 millennium old Chinese rockets. Original IC engine was invented by Benz and the rest of the car makers used the concept to make their own engines. They didn't steal the blue prints on break down Mercedes engine to make exact copies. That is the difference between current Chinese vehicles and other makes... they are the exact replicas of foreign brands with no improvements.
I do agree that the Jap car makers did exactly that in the 60's but then they too were called copy cats at that time. The Japanese came up with original designs on the base of copied cars and now they have shed that tag. Hyundai copied designs till recently and they got the copy cat tag too. So the Chinese will have to live with the copy cat tag till they come up with something of their own.

Most Viewed