Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2020, 23:16   #1
BHPian

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!

When I bought my Dzire, I thought I will pen down a review as soon as I complete the run-in period of the car, i.e at 1000km. But I didn’t. Then, planned to do it at 10K which did not materialize. At 30K, I told myself that I should get serious with the review. Finally, I am typing this at 31K km. There, obviously, has been time constraint, but more than anything else, it was my laziness. A week or two ago, I went through a Dzire AMT review, which was the first ownership review of Dzire on TeamBHP. That got me excited and I felt, I got to utilize my partially free time (because of lockdown. I still have to go to my workplace like every alternate day, but there is lesser workload) for a Dzire review in a different part of the world with some similar and some different driving conditions.

As you can see from my location, I drive my Dzire in Nepal. For first 23K, I was in one town, where I bought the car and then, I moved to my hometown (been seven months) where Dzire does some 1500km each month.

The Buying Process

The car was bought on Oct. 13, 2017. This is my first new car. Prior to this, I owned a used Tata Indica Petrol since 2014 which was sold off in 2016. Like any other TeamBHPian, I got interested in cars fairly early in my life. But as cars attract a tax of 240% plus in Nepal, these are too expensive here and requires a lot of financial management. My initial plan was to buy a new Alto on bank loan. Did some calculations, and decided rather than paying compulsory 35% of the MRP of the car as down-payment and rest as EMI for several years, I should instead put in all the money that I had in a used car and avoid the hassle of EMI. And thus I ended on a ten year old Indica for NPR 7,50,000. In the hindsight, I realized that was one of the worst decisions of my life and unlike any BHPian, I was much happier selling off my Tata Indica for NPR 4,40,000 after nearly two years, than the day I bought it. What happened during ownership of Indica requires a completely new thread. Though, I had learned to drive on my acquaintances’ Volkswagen Santana and Hyundai Sonata while abroad back, in 2004, I mastered my driving skills on Indica and I thank it for this.

After selling off my Indica, there was this one year period where I did not have any vehicle under my disposal. Before Indica, I had a humble Yamaha Alba 106 that I rode for 54K km in a little over four years. I sold it off within a few months into owning Indica. As I was the only one driving in the family, I did not find the need for more than one vehicle. During my car-less period, I rented several cars for out of town trips to run for family errands. Some of those cars were Renault Kwid, Ford Ranger, TUV300, Scorpio, Bolero, Sumo, Swift, Wagon R etc. These cars were usually rented from the town that I lived in or sent from other towns where I had relatives and always came with a driver. On one occasion, the Swift Vxi (2015 model) was sent from a town 175km or four hours away. As I had asked for the car at 6am, the driver drove through the night and caught his sleep only for a couple of hours. When the car arrived, I did not feel comfortable being driven by a sleep-deprived driver. I told the driver to fasten his seatbelt and go to sleep. Drove non-stop for 250km to my destination and fell in love with the free-revving nature of K12 engine. It was after this drive that this engine entered my shortlist for my next purchase. Among other cars that I rented, drove TUV300/Scorpio for a few hundred km while I drove Kwid for some 2-3000km as it was owned by a colleague of mine and I help him learn driving.

Finalizing the car

I was open to any good car from any brand that catered to my requirements. My requirements were:
1 Budget of NPR 30lacs (INR100=NPR160) plus minus a few lacs
2 Petrol engine. Because the category where I was looking for, the contemporary diesel engine carried a premium of 5 lacs NPR over petrol engine
3 Two airbags and ABS
4 Good drivability
5 Spacious. Though, there rarely has been more than two occupants, we occasionally carry huge amount of luggage because of shuffling of stuff among my ancestral hometown and where I worked (and bought the car) and my current workplace which is kind of my hometown because I have spent most of my life here. Similarly, though, I am not very tall or very fat, (5,9 and 90kg), I had problem fitting into seats of many cars while in others my knees brushed the dashboard that I found irritating.
6 Either a hatchback or a compact sedan or a crossover. Anything without 4x4 is not an SUV.
7 Should be frugal and easy on maintenance.
8 Good build quality.

The showroom cars that I test drove:

I, literally, checked out and also test drove most of the brands that had showrooms in my town.

The Ford:
They had Figo, Aspire and Ecosport. Had a good rapport with the people in the showroom and they were really keen on selling their car. I was more interested in Ecosport than others and they offered me the best price. The deal could not materialize only because they were soon bringing out Dragon series of petrol engine and it made no sense going with the old engine. Though I did not buy a Ford car, I recently helped a colleague of mine buy an Aspire. I got him an extra of 1 lac discount compared to any other dealer in Nepal. Ecosport is still in my radar.

Hyundai:
There was a Hyundai showroom in my town before I began looking for a new car. Before I owned Indica, checked Eon once. When I was in car hunt, they had shut down the showroom but I still contacted their showroom in other cities to inquire about their offers Thought of Elite i20 or i20Active though they were slightly over my budget. I even watched several videos of YouTube on i20 Active and they were all praises for it, especially the build quality and the interiors. But, because there was no showroom at that time, discarded the idea of having a Hyundai. A couple of years ago, they opened a grand showroom, probably the best in that town. I went there once, exactly a year ago, to check out Hyundai car for a colleague of mine. I loved Verna and even test drove the top version. But their attitude dissuaded a potential customer. They ask potential customer to fill up a form before test drive that stated if any damage was to occur, the one test driving the car was to bear all the damage repair expenses etc. This is definitely what a showroom should not do. They are the number one selling brand in Nepal. My colleague bought a Tata Nexon XM petrol later.

Honda:
They were offering me very good deal for previous generation Honda City 1.5 iVTEC as they had only a few in the stock to clear. The manager of the local dealership became a good friend of mine and used all him means to convince me. Frankly, I was tempted. But as a facelift was already launched in India and was soon make its way to Nepal, the idea of having that City got shelved. They also had a previous generation Civic in blue color, manual petrol for 68 lacs for me. I told them, well, someday.

Tata:
Coming from Indica which I was happier selling than owning, did not bother to visit them. That said, Tata has really worked hard in recent years and I want them to sell more vehicles. Maybe, I could increase their sales by owning a Nexon EV in future. As said earlier, I dealt for colleague who bought Nexon and another who got Tigor XM Petrol some ten months ago.

Mahindra:
Went there just for a sake of visit to see KUV. Ruled it out instantly. They had room for a longer car. Needn’t chop it off right in the middle. And that body with that awful engine is an obvious no. Others in their lineup did not serve my needs. But test drove Scorpio PIKUP 4x4 just because I had never driven that before.

Others:
Meanwhile, also got in touch with Renault and Nissan showrooms located in another city (where I am located now). Inquired about Duster and Sunny. But without a service center in my own city, those brands seemed more of a liability. That said, Kicks has always interested me and I have recommended it to several. Similarly, Toyota showroom in another city (my current location) had only expensive vehicles like RAV4, Hilux, Prado. They also have Rush now that I test drove for a friend just before lockdown. Similarly, when I went to Kathmandu, made a visit to Datsun and Volkswagen. Frankly, the car shopping lasted for more than one year. I did not buy one instantly after selling off Indica because I had other investments to make.

Maruti Suzuki:
Hyundai sells more cars in Nepal than MS. I do not have exact data but MS is very close too. The sales person at MS were very frank and friendly. MS in Nepal doesn’t function like in India (what I know from TeamBHP). And the servicing isn’t cheap either plus they make you service your car four times a year! Similarly, comparing with the prices in India, MS sells its cars in Nepal with fat margins. Well, other brands do the same.

How does Dzire come in?
Frankly, Dzire was never in the picture. I strongly felt it’s ultimately going to be either Aspire or Ecosport. Then, Dzire was launched in India. Most of you will have your own opinion but I fell in love with the looks of the 3rd gen Dzire and instantly made up my mind to have one with K12 engine. Was in negotiation with the local dealership in my town. Meanwhile, paid a visit to NADA (Nepal Auto Dealers’ Association) Show in Kathmandu in August/September and checked out different cars displayed.

The Deal:
The local showroom offered me the best possible deal (they usually have lucrative deals from NADA show in August running till Diwali). The car Vxi would cost me some 29 lacs NPR after a discount of 2 lacs NPR from MRP of 31 lacs. They would pay the road tax for first year which is roughly 24K NPR (included in 2 lacs package) and the insurance would cost me some 35K NPR. Everything was going perfect. I was fine with Oxford Blue. Only Silver and White were must no. But wife wanted Gallant red which was fine for me as what mattered to me more is the comfort inside and the engine.

Paid a few thousands NPR, the exact amount that I don’t remember, to book Vxi in Gallant red which they promised to deliver a few days before Vijaya Dashami. Prior to booking, test drove one in Sherwood Brown for quite a distance and came out very convinced. We usually have a long holiday during Vijaya Dashami and hence, I had already laid out a plan for some traveling. Waited till the day before holidays. They could not deliver in gallant red. They were pushing me for Sherwood brown that they had. We were literally mentally prepared for receiving the red car for the holiday trip but they let us down. I was kind of infuriated, left MS showroom and went directly to Ford. I would have, literally, taken delivery of an Ecosport had they one in their stockyard!

Fate as it was, we rented a WagonR for the holidays which MS people helped us find at a subsidized rate and carried out with our travel plans. Back from trip, kept waiting for the gallant red Vxi but they kept us lying and telling us that it was on its way. Finally, one fine morning, Oct 13, 2017, they brought one in blue to my residence. Since, that color was still our choice, though a second one, we okayed it. They took the car back for a wash and preparation. During my lunch break, which begins at 1pm, hired an auto and went there with wife and kid, paid 35% of the MRP which came around 10 lacs, took a few photos and left the showroom. As I had to be back to work, finished all this in less than 10 minutes. While all this was happening over last two months, I had applied for auto loan from Standard Charted. They were to pay remaining 65% of the MRP to the MS while I had to pay them the EMI for six years for the loan amount of 18.5lacs NPR. As I knew people at Standard Chartered (they are more flexible to people from my profession) and at MS, I left them to talk among themselves for the financial transactions. For a car bought in October, MS would only get rest of the amount in December and my EMI would begin only from January, 2018. Well, I had the car, and all of those delays did not matter to me.

Here, I must thank MS for this. Some companies like Hyundai in Nepal, do not handover the car until the bank has released the loan. Probably, they do not need to be flexible because despite being strict on prospective customers, they are selling in huge numbers. On the other hand, MS let me have the car with a partial payment and assured me to take my time to complete loan and other financial stuff. People at Ford and Tata have also been very flexible to my colleagues through my recommendation.

As soon as I got the delivery of the car, took it to a gas pump, filled it up and took it straight away to a holy site of Devi, called Gadhimai, some 17km away. It was a gravel road with potholes, so took a while for us to reach there, get the Pooja done and return to my workplace. Delayed I was by an hour, but that was fine.

Over next few days, the dealer offered me eight accessories for free as offered. Floor mats, body cover, rain visor, Chinese parking sensor with reverse camera which they have fixed on the IRVM, car perfume, steering cover and seat covers. Probably, they counted camera and parking sensor as two accessories.

The Experience so far

As the car has been meticulously reviewed in the official review, I need not repeat the same thing. Here, I will only elaborate my personal experiences about the car and what I feel about it.

I have done a little over 31K in two and half years of ownership. When I received the car, the odometer reading was 260km because they drive down all the way to the destination from the town called Sunauli on India-Nepal border. The next 31K km are solely driven by me. The mechanics at service center have driven it for a maximum of few meters only.

In the Vxi model, you get a key with lock and unlock function. You also get a similar spare key with lock and unlock button. You press the unlock button and the car beeps twice. This unlocks the driver side door. You press the unlock button again and rest of the three doors open. This setting can be configured to one’s liking but I’ve kept the default setting. The door opens wide and you sit down into the seat. As the car is spacious, I do not rub with dashboard or steering wheel. For my size, I do not have to change the seating every time. I have to do it only after getting the car serviced. Ingress and egress is fine requiring some body maneuvering unlike tall-boy cars. Once seated, there is enough space to the right of my right knee and to the left of my left knee. In my friend’s Aspire, my left knee was constantly rubbing against the dashboard for my seating position. In KUV100, it was worse. Probably, it had something to do with my seating position than the car. Ergonomics is perfect, every button falls in the right place. Once seated and then belted, turn the key once, it switches on the in car entertainment. Turn it again, it switches on the system. Turn again with clutch pressed, the engine comes to life. Initially, the engine runs at around 1100RPM and then after a minute or so, it idles at around 700RPM or so. At idling, with windows up, you barely hear the engine. For a total of three occasion over 31K, I’d turned the key, to switch on, thinking the engine was off.

Once you have taken down the handbrake, all the lights on the dashboard go off. What may stay for some time is a blue thermometer like sign, which will, as well, go off after a few minutes when the engine has warmed enough. In winter months, the engine will be cold even after 3 km of driving. Slot in the first gear and the engine pulls off effortlessly. Pressing the accelerator will only increase the noise and the engine will ask you to shift to second gear. Here, I need to make a mention. As it has appeared in several online reviews, there’s definite knocking like if you change the gear to two from one at lower RPM. At higher RPM, one does not get a feel of it. I find the gears short which is great. Gear shifting is butter smooth and it’s always fun shifting to a higher gear in short duration of time while you climb up the speed. For 90% of the time, I am the single occupant in the car and it pulls linearly in no time. As one reaches the speed of 80kmph or more, the cabin gets noisy with road noise filtering in. With a little more speed, the wind noise also begins to filter in. In my opinion, the NVH levels are poor. Probably, the poor quality of road in Nepal is to blame for this too. But then, the car is lightweight and the sheet metal is thin, so this is to be expected.The clutch is light and the travel distance is just fine. Over time, it has gotten slightly hard.

There are some good roads where I occasionally get to drive. It’s where I get to hear that growl of the engine as it is lovingly pushed. It is such a sweet sounding engine post 2000RPM. It’s then you feel like wanting a sixth gear. The car will happily keep on munching miles at a speed of triple digit without losing a breath. My highway trips are usually 300-400km trips where the car does its duty perfectly. The longest that I have driven without switching off the engine is for four and half hours (Nepal only has single lane highways). The engine is the best part of this car.

I find the suspension to be on stiffer side. City rides are not very plush but highway trips make up for this. At higher speeds, the lighter weight is a concern, but the car is still in control till 120kmp. I’ve touched 160kmph once and 140kmph on a few occasions but the car doesn’t inspire confidence in higher speeds. Over time, I have gradually slowed down. I, rarely, touch triple digits these days.

Brakes are modest. They are definitely not great but they do their duty. Over 31K, there’s only one occasion, which occurred just two weeks, when I had to brake hardly with car coming to a screeching halt. I mostly make sure that I have several meters ahead of me to stop the car. Among various principles that I follow while driving, one is: never overtake if you are not convinced ie, if this question pops into your mind before overtaking: should I overtake/could I complete overtaking, don’t overtake.

Interiors of the car is good. The light color adds to the ambience and airiness of the car and makes it appear luxurious. But it’s a tough job to maintain it and keep it clean. The ICE has FM, AM, Bluetooth connectivity, CD player, USB and AUX. There is also a car charger just beside the USB port. While I am driving, especially, when doing high speeds, I rarely listen to the ICE because I find it distracting. I usually slow down if I feel like listening to music or FM.

Problems faced so far:
1. The knocking issue. I tend to overlook it because I know there is little that can be done about it and that it is less pronounced these days and doesn’t irritating me.
2. Windshield Crack:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4382808 (Maruti Dzire : Official Review)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4382808 (Maruti Dzire : Official Review)

3. Humming noise: Whenever I decelerate, there is a humming noise. In noisy surrounding, you do not hear it. First, the service center guys could not figure it out and said there’s nothing/no noise. Later, they reckoned that there is the noise and but did not know anything about that. Later, when the CEO of the company (importer) was in my town for the inauguration of the new building of the showroom, I talked to him and he instantly asked his expert who he brought along from Kathmandu to look into the matter. After test driving, they concluded that some bearing in the gearbox needs to be changed by opening up the gearbox. A few months later, when the bearing arrived, they gave me a call and asked me to leave the car to get it changed. Frankly, I was not very willing to get the gearbox opened up. I talked to the mechanic who was going to carry out this job. He advised me the best thing to do would be to wait. I informed the manager the same and they cancelled the service job for my car.
4. Dents: Needless to say, it’s a very weak body and easily gets dented. I have a few of them. Fixing them up is a costly affair here.
5. Ground clearance: Its low at 163mm. But MS has still done a good job of fixing things undereneath that the bottom rarely scrapes. As many of you may be aware, Nepal has very bad roads. But somehow, I am still happy with the ground clearance. There has been a few brushings especially during the early days of the ownership because I needed some km under my belt to get used to it. There’s only one occasion when I had to get off the vehicle after a scrape and check if everything was fine underneath. Fortunately, the only leak was water from AC condenser. As it happened, the bridge along the highway was broken down due to incessant rainfall previous night. A diversion was made through river bed to be used by trucks, buses and cars alike. Took Dzire into the off-road territory only to rub its bottom. After I restarted the journey, I thought to myself that it was only the area where we fix the jack for tire change rubbed against the earth.
6. A minor accident: After moving to my current place, I have to make liberal use of headlights as I drive back to my home from my workplace (11km away, one way) usually after nightfall after finishing my work at hospital and then doing the groceries etc. As it happened, it was around 7pm in December, a truck crossed me from opposite direction on a single lane road with high beams on. High beams blind me for a few seconds. I was in 5th gear and doing 50-60kmph when a dog crossed the road and I hit it. It flew in the air, got thrown to the roadside, likely got hurt but did not die (I have a friend’s house who lives right where it happened and informed me that he did not know of any dead stray dog the next morning). I slowed down but kept going because there was no other noise. Plus the impact was not very strong either. Next morning, when I was ready to go back to work, I saw that the bumper was damaged over multiple sites but that was not creating any problem to driving.

A few km into the drive, I found the washer wouldn’t squirt any fluids. I thought the washer tank ran out of water; but there was a different story. Later in the afternoon, I took the car for a checkup. They took off the bumper and found that the washer tank had been ripped apart from the impact and that the bumper was broken at several places. Both the bumper and the water tank required replacement, but chose only to replace the water tank and fix up the bumper. So far, it’s held up well. But the bumper has, over time, gathered several scratches that don’t look good. I may replace it someday.
7. Punctures: Three, so far. All due to nails. My previous city had very bad roads. Changing tires isn’t an easy job.
8. TeamBHP Stickers: As soon as I bought the car, I pasted the prototype “LIVE TO DRIVE” which got stolen after a few months. I have a spare LIVE TO DRIVE sticker but I have saved it for later. Since the theft, I have been using I DRIVE SAFE. I feel this particular sticker helps slow down the rash drivers and makes those trailing very closely maintain a safe distance; this, sort of, takes the other driver in ECO mode while the LIVE TO DRIVE takes other in sports mode. Just my assumption. That sticker is pasted to the right of the S badge on the boot. Could you BHPians suggest another site for LIVE TO DRIVE sticker? I really love this phrase.
9. The headlights are not adequate.

Owning a Car in Nepal

By now, you know that cars are very expensive in Nepal due to taxation. That’s why most of the cars are bought on loan and all the bank have provision for auto loan which is indeed hassle free. When I took a loan, the introductory rate was 9%. It has now climbed to 11.63%. All the car dealers in Nepal take care of transferring charges and most of them pay for the road tax for the first year. In Nepal, we need to pay for the road taxes every year. For a 1200cc car, it’s around 22K per year except in province where I live, its 24K per year. Similarly, insurances are to be renewed every year. Its roughly 1% of the MRP. When I bought the car, I paid around 35K. Since, I have not made any insurance claim, I paid 30K the last time. Both payments for me for road tax and insurance are due in October.

Servicing a Car in Nepal:

Because I work in a hospital, I helped out my MS mechanic as a part of my duty when he was ill (in my previous city). He had reciprocated that help by taking an extra care for my car during servicing. In my current city, I have tipped one. Servicing in Nepal is not a happy experience because of the costs incurred. A liter of engine oil costs NPR 900 which requires replacement every 3 months. Previously, I used to explain them the same car in India requires servicing only once a year and they are over-servicing here and thus, overcharging. They did not change their protocols but they accepted that dealership makes more profit servicing cars than selling them.

Here, we get a different service booklet designed by the importer. There are a total of 16 service leaves, good enough for four years. The alternate servicing is free from labor charge. My average servicing cost so far on average has been NPR 5000 per service totaling to NPR 20000 per year. So far, only air filter has been replaced once. Brake pads are still holding on and tires aren’t that bad. Looking forward to pampering my car someday by replacing the bumper and taking care of small dents. With time, I expect the subsequent service costs to increase.

All said, having a good relationship with those on the floor helps in one way or another.

Parking sensor and Camera:

Though Chinese made, there was no reason to refuse them because they came for free. And I am really glad that these things have worked so well so far. They are precise. The camera screen is fixed on IRVM with spring holders which got loose are a few months. Since then, it have been fixed with rubber bands.

Dashcam:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...ml#post4644599 (The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...ml#post4644599 (The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread)

The dashcam has been reviewed in details in the link above. Unfortunately, just a few days of penning down this dashcam review on TeamBHP, the dashcam wouldn’t work. Could use it for just two months. Please check the following YouTube channel for videos through that dashcam.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgE..._as=subscriber

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgE..._as=subscriber

Fuel Economy:

Needless to say, it is excellent. In my previous city, when I had to drive among 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears, fuel economy was pretty low around 13-14 kmpl. On highways and in my current city, I manage around 20. I use an app called acar to enter all my logs. The average is 19.182 for 31K km. This may go down in future because 95% of my driving has been in the plains. As I live closer to hills now, I intend to go for more hill driving which will bring down the FE. MID reading is faulty by 10%.

Conclusion:

I am happy with Dzire so far. Sheet metal quality is very bad. And I knew it before my purchase. Ground clearance is low. And I knew this before I bought the car. But every time I take the car for a spin, it brings out a smile on my face. Dzire had seen its share of good roads but it has travelled for thousands of km on gravel and mud road as well. It has held up well. There are rattles and they came very early. I do not like them but have learned to live with them. 31K in 30 months is not much, but all of that distance has a memory to recall. How long will I keep this car? I don’t know. Maybe for as long as it keeps me happy and the maintenance costs don’t get too expensive. How is the Dzire facelift? It looks better than my current car. Will I buy a Dzire again? Maybe, if the star ratings improve. But, Honda City 1.5 iVTEC and Nissan Kicks 1.3 Turbo Petrol interest me more. Civics, Otavias, Passats and Corollas are all in one crore category here. But if I keep Dzire until my bank loan ends in December, 2023, I may take the electric route!

Five thousand plus words and that concludes my experience with Dzire. There’s a better written review already on TeamBHP. I’ll be glad to answers any questions and queries. The good part about Dzire is that it is sold more than it is talked about. I could be reached on Twitter @amitjha086.
Attached Thumbnails
Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20180101_154902.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20180101_204112.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20180130_162715.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20180226_101949.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20180303_134333.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20180312_143201.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20180518_080410.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20180518_080618.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20180524_173722.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20180802_203226.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20180803_133037.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20180823_101321.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20181031_074303.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20181109_145654.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20181113_073216.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20181113_073438.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20181113_094119.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20190625_105551.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20190625_110954.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20190817_193640.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20190817_193657.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20191027_222316.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20191029_170330.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20191130_124506.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20191130_130331.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20191225_194530.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20200102_230836.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20200110_190942.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20200110_191500.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20200114_173002.jpg  

amitjha086 is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 00:12   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Life with a Dzire in Nepal!

My god they tax cars as if they are contraband! Prices are ridiculous. Annual road tax on top of that, for such poor roads. A very different prospective for us Indians who crib about ever increasing car prices here. Good luck with your Dzire.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 00:46   #3
BHPian

re: Life with a Dzire in Nepal!

Lovely crisp review and excellent pictures. Thanks a lot for sharing. The car prices there are crazy indeed. Add to that road tax every year and 4 services in a year. So the cost of ownership is huge. Possessing a car must require a lot of financial planning i guess. Does every manufacturer mandate 4 services in a year or is it specific to few manufacturers?
Fordlover88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 13:55   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Life with a Dzire in Nepal!

Lovely thread, quite unique. Thanks for sharing!

Always a special feeling to see a Team-BHP sticker from outside India . Anyone who complains about high car prices in India should check out Nepal . We had an interesting discussion on the same in this thread (What would you buy in Nepal?).
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 17:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
My god they tax cars as if they are contraband! Prices are ridiculous. Annual road tax on top of that, for such poor roads. A very different prospective for us Indians who crib about ever increasing car prices here. Good luck with your Dzire.
Sometimes, I feel like moving abroad to be able to own better cars at affordable rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordlover88 View Post
Lovely crisp review and excellent pictures. Thanks a lot for sharing. The car prices there are crazy indeed. Add to that road tax every year and 4 services in a year. So the cost of ownership is huge. Possessing a car must require a lot of financial planning i guess. Does every manufacturer mandate 4 services in a year or is it specific to few manufacturers?
Only the brands that are selling in huge viz MS and Hyundai makes customers service so many times in a year. Honda, twice a year while Ford and Tata just once a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Lovely thread, quite unique. Thanks for sharing!

Always a special feeling to see a Team-BHP sticker from outside India . Anyone who complains about high car prices in India should check out Nepal . We had an interesting discussion on the same in this thread (What would you buy in Nepal?).
Oh that's a decade old thread. Do you know the number of active members in Nepal? Maybe we can have a TeamBHP meet here if there are sufficient numbers?
Live to Drive is such a great phrase. Only once I saw another TeamBHP sticker in Nepal. It was on a WB registered car who were here for traveling.
By the way, what's the criteria to go on home page?
amitjha086 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 00:38   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitjha086 View Post
what's the criteria to go on home page?
You are already there

BTW, quite eye opening the car scene in Nepal. Are the incomes so high that prices are 2X - 3X that of India. What’s the used car scene like ? Are they equally ridiculously over priced.

Is the public transport so great that private vehicles are super expensive or is it just the govt. doing what they do every where else, making life tough for citizens
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 03:18   #7
BHPian

Excellent review, could relate to everything! Really loved the unique way of writing
Few days ago, even I wrote a review of my Dzire ZXi+ AMT (high five!), got the car at almost the same date (10th October, 2017) and have also driven about 31k kms.
The taxation scene in your country is really eye watering as I paid almost half the amount you paid for the same car!

Wish you lacs of joyful and trouble free miles with the K12 baby
Here's a picture of my Dizzy:
Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-img_20190503_185443978_hdr.jpg

Last edited by Nazaar25 : 7th May 2020 at 03:29.
Old 7th May 2020, 23:17   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
You are already there

BTW, quite eye opening the car scene in Nepal. Are the incomes so high that prices are 2X - 3X that of India. What’s the used car scene like ? Are they equally ridiculously over priced.

Is the public transport so great that private vehicles are super expensive or is it just the govt. doing what they do every where else, making life tough for citizens
When you only consider the ex-showroom price of cars (excluding registration and insurance etc) in Nepal and India, this is how the equation works out. When you buy a car, any car in Nepal, you are actually buying three cars. You give two to the government and keep one for yourself. That is how 240% tax translates to. Because of cars being very expensive, car ownership in Nepal is quite low. Unlikely what one may assume, income is too low here with very poor public transportation. The whole system needs an overhaul in Nepal.

Used car scene in Nepal is no different from India. Cars depreciate the same way. Maruti and Hyundai retain better resale value. I should be able to sell my 31K dzire at 24-25 lacs NPR! Similarly, my first car, which was a ten year old used petrol India cost me 7,50,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaar25 View Post
Excellent review, could relate to everything! Really loved the unique way of writing
Few days ago, even I wrote a review of my Dzire ZXi+ AMT (high five!), got the car at almost the same date (10th October, 2017) and have also driven about 31k kms.
The taxation scene in your country is really eye watering as I paid almost half the amount you paid for the same car!
Well, in fact, its your review which motivated me to pen down one quickly. We should keep on updating with our odometer readings once in a while. The taxation here is crazy and what more, they are looking forward to hike it!

Dzire has so far been a trouble free car and quite a pleasure to own. K12 is a gem of an engine. Let me attach a few more pictures.

Attaching a few more pics and some amazing data esp that AVG after 200km or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20200314_174943.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20200501_174351.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20200324_003201.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20200419_112037.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20200507_225417.jpg  

Life with a Dzire in Nepal!-20200228_170523.jpg  

amitjha086 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed