Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2020, 12:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Cars are now an integral part of life with distancing norms

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, social distancing norms are now mandatory in most places of the world. With these restrictions, cars are being used to maintain social distancing and drive-throughs and drive-in cinemas, etc. are becoming more popular.

In Cannes, the annual film festival was postponed. However, local residents came together to watch a movie in a drive-in cinema at a beachfront car park. Steven Spielberg’s 1980s classic E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial was played. The screening accommodated 51 vehicles that were parked in every alternate spot. Staff members wore face shields and moved from vehicle to vehicle to scan barcodes on tickets.

Name:  Screenshot 20200522 at 12.44.38 PM.png
Views: 898
Size:  371.6 KB

Cars are now an integral part of life with distancing norms-topshot_1588836311686.jpg

This trend of drive-in and drive-through facilities is now becoming the new normal. Due to limited weddings at German registry offices, a drive-in cinema is organizing official marriages on its stage, while relatives and friends of the bridal couple attend the marriage ceremonies in their cars.

Cars are now an integral part of life with distancing norms-wedding_1588836190794.jpg

With restaurants keeping only the kitchens operational, patrons are lining up at the drive-through windows. Long lines of cars can be seen at popular restaurants the world over.

Cars are now an integral part of life with distancing norms-starbucks_1588836245127.jpg

Cars are now an integral part of life with distancing norms-411ad74a9cde478ea07db3f6871f1037411ad74a9cde478ea07db3f6871f10370_1588836226559_1588840017515.jpg

One church in Copenhagen is also offering a drive-in service to worshipers to curb the spread of the virus. To celebrate May Day, residents in Denmark took part in a drive-in rally.

Cars are now an integral part of life with distancing norms-https___blankpaper.htdigital.in_wireimages_afp_2020_5_3_afp_1qy9ng_1588836361935.jpg

Cars are now an integral part of life with distancing norms-mayday_rally_1588836515191.jpg

Sources 1, 2

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 22nd May 2020 at 12:49.
blackwasp is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 23:56   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Cars are now an integral part of life with distancing norms

Since my childhood days, I always wanted to watch a movie in a drive-in theatre. The day is not far away when that dream will come true. With sunroofs also becoming normal, it'll be fun to watch a movie from the comfort of your car, and a drone serving popcorn from the sunroof!
But the only sad part will be that it's because of a killer virus.

As far as restaurants are concerned, when I was a kid we used to go to the Ramya Drive in restaurant in Mysuru and the badam halwa (paper halwa as I used to call it) was my favourite. The way a make shift table used to be hung on the car door and dishes were served, was exciting to me as a kid. Will be nostalgic if that dining experience rerurns. Although we now have many places where food is served to your car (Swathi delicacy on Bengaluru-Mangaluru, maddur Tiffany's on Bengaluru-Mysuru road) it isn't that exciting...but in the situation where we are forced into looking at drive in dining, people may come up with some exciting, creative ways of in-car dining. I'm looking forward to it actually.

My most recent in-car dining was in Swathi delicacy...
Cars are now an integral part of life with distancing norms-20190831_08321901.jpeg
Guess the car

That said, Many of my friends and family members don't like it, especially during long drives as they don't want to spend additional time in and around the car. But I don't mind, I love it to be frank.

If cars are used everywhere, the infrastructure will be adapted to it and scenes will look like something out of the Cars Movie.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 18:27   #3
BHPian

Re: Cars are now an integral part of life with distancing norms

Nice thread. I already see almost as many cars on the road as bikes (if not more) in my area, which is an anomaly for Pune. Or maybe that's only till the lockdown is completely lifted. It seems people are taking out cars for small distances as well. Even vehicles that were parked for months on end in my society are seeing a lot more movement than they were used to. Having that personal safe space is going to be important going ahead.
I would love to experience a drive in movie in India, but I'm not certain we have enough space for it. Maybe a few such events for a limited number if vehicles might be held once in a while.
MegaWhat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed