Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2020, 20:14   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Depressing video of a Mercedes showroom being vandalised (George Floyd protests)

Off Topic. The riot troubles in USA, the difficulties they are facing with CV19 and Trumpistan's conduct on both issues has had one good impact -- my NRI relatives who are forever preaching, via Whats App to lowly brethren like me, have shut up completely. USA Govt and media indulge in moral preaching and condemning when such incidents occur in third world countries. Maybe this time India, Russia, China & Brazil should impose sanctions on USA for its human rights violations!!!!
V.Narayan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 19:28   #47
Team-BHP Support

Re: Depressing video of a Mercedes showroom being vandalised (George Floyd protests)

Well known TV comedian Amber Ruffin shares her stories of run-ins with the police while she was less famous.

Here is another video she had made last year about racism in USA.

Last edited by Samurai : 6th June 2020 at 19:31.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 22:59   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCar View Post
The thing is, USA is probably the best country in the world in terms of providing equal opportunities. Not perfect though. One can genuinely make a difference if she/he is smart, hard working and enterprising. SpaceX, Tesla, Apple, Starbucks, Netflix and many others cone from USA. Because it offers the best to anybody willing to move ahead. At the same time it has highest number of people in prison.
Sorry, but that is simply not true at all. It is a country deeply divided between haves and have not. The ‘have nots” getting the short stick on just about anything life and society can throw at them.

You can check any official statistic about USA country and what you will find is a massive divide and very few people able to bridge it. If you are black you will never become white. Whites on average have it so much better, better education, better health care, better jobs, hardly get strangled by deranged cops etc. etc.

Check out that prison population you mention. Check out the ratio white to non whites.

i have lived there many years, I have family and friends who live there. In many ways it is an amazing country. But if you believe in a fair society, where everybody, regardless of sex, religion or otherwise has the same access to education, health care, the same opportunities in life in general, the USA comes in bottom of the heap compared to many other countries.

Check out the school ratings. We lived in Kansas city. The suburbs of KC are amongst the most effluent neighbourhoods in the USA. Average family income well over 100K a year. 3 out of the top 10 schools in the USA were in the KC suburbs. These suburbs are almost exclusively white. The area know as “east of Troost” was were the black folks lived. The 2 worst schools of all of the USA were there. Only 10-15 miles apart from those 3 outstanding schools. The difference for those kids was whether they were born in a black or white family.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 12:36   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post

I'm just curious to know what company does he work for? Is it a well known American Tech company? I work for one in Hyderabad and have had direct reports (white male and females) reporting to me directly who were based in the US. I faced no such issues whatsoever, would be surprised if this is occurring in a major Tech company.
It is a major tech company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Off Topic:

It's possible different people have different experiences, but in all my stay there and continued visits not once has such a thing happened with me or any other Indian I know of.

In fact, more of my white american friends have been pulled over by cops than I have! One of my (white American) colleagues even threatened to sue the cop that had pulled him over!

An outrageous thing I had done was pull over a cop! Fairly early morning on the way to the airport my GPS was not functioning. Wanted to ask for directions and the only person I saw was a cop driving around..had to pull him over by stopping in front of him! The guy was so confused and mad he pulled his gun out. When he learned what I had to say he burst out laughing and tells me never to do that in Philadelphia. Some cops can just shoot!
The said individual is of very dark complexion and maybe that is what is triggering it. I for e.g am a typical Indian looking male. I have faced mild racism/stereotyping in many places abroad. Probably you are lucky not to experience it or maybe you are not sensitive enough to catch those clues. My BIL for e.g fails to catch those clues and thinks all is fine. Finally to each his/her own.
car love is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 14:29   #50
Senior - BHPian

With statues of colonizers like Columbus in Boston being beheaded and many other statues being brought down, wonder how we react to such things !

We have statues, parks, roads, buildings named after of our colonizers. We were looted, famines created. We will have our wise people say, we shouldnt do that though
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 11:50   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
With statues of colonizers like Columbus in Boston being beheaded and many other statues being brought down, wonder how we react to such things ! We have statues, parks, roads, buildings named after of our colonizers. We were looted, famines created. We will have our wise people say, we shouldnt do that though
I think we are glaring at more sinister things to come in terms of revolt/revolution and the common man taking to the streets and declaring "non compliance" of lot of things we have grownup studying. Troubled times are ahead and I fear it will spread rapidly
Old 27th January 2021, 14:59   #52
Team-BHP Support

Finally there is new law in USA where police brutality can be taken to court.

Quote:
A Black woman and four children who were held at gunpoint when Aurora police officers mistakenly thought they were in a stolen vehicle sued the city of Aurora, Chief Vanessa Wilson and five police officers Monday, alleging the officers had no legal grounds for their actions.

Video of the Aug. 2 incident shows the children — ages 6, 12, 14 and 17 — laying face-down in a parking lot and screaming in fear as police handcuffed the 12-year-old and 17-year-old after officers ordered everyone out of the SUV at gunpoint.

One officer attempted to handcuff the 6-year-old girl as well, according to the lawsuit, but the handcuffs were “too big to fit around her wrists.”
source

Last edited by Samurai : 27th January 2021 at 15:02.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 23:40   #53
Team-BHP Support

US Police shoot a black man for resisting arrest after jaywalking. He was merely crossing a quiet narrow street in the absence of traffic.

Last edited by Samurai : 23rd February 2021 at 23:43.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 06:51   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
US Police shoot a black man for resisting arrest after jaywalking. He was merely crossing a quiet narrow street in the absence of traffic.
Moral of the story: Beware of white hoodlums in uniform when in MRN (Most Racist Nation *).

*Agreed, we are more racist /casteist than any other nation, but I'm trying to make a point
Old 25th February 2021, 06:40   #55
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Topic discussed enough. Closing.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks