Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2007, 00:07   #61
BANNED

Is it time we can read some results of the so called 'Breaking of records'??
Old 22nd March 2007, 00:16   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
But this thread is more than eyecandy and it is a question of whether this SSC thingy can challenge a Veyron. Not just in looks but in real world performance, stability etc..
ok.. its not just looks , all of us are Tbhpians we all know whats under the hood matters the most to us..
so let the road tests come out about real world performance, stability etc..then we will know if the SSC actually can beats the Veyron on performance, reliability,top end speed etc etc..

anyways Im not expecting much from the SSC...
Old 22nd March 2007, 00:25   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Is it time we can read some results of the so called 'Breaking of records'??
kept checking the site from morning but nothing has been added is it mostly because of the day and night difference over there.

Quote:
Well that's because American manufacturers and customers are more interested in horse power figures & staight-line numbers of cars then anything else, for proof pick up some American car mags & go through them. (With perhaps the exception of Car & Driver)
yes that is quite true but what i meant was other than the straight cars there are cars like the z06 and s7 that are amazing track cars but when i tell people that they are like no european cars are built for track only similarly people say American blocks are also built for straights.
but that is not true because take for example the koenigsegg at the start cc 8c runs re bored out ford v8 block.
the m5 also are pretty good strip cars also seeing they are 500 bhp rwd and little bit costly to the viper and z06 but see times are changed no longer american cars are built for strip and no longer euro are built for track .

edit:regarding chetanhanad post check out the slalom video.

Last edited by pawan : 22nd March 2007 at 00:33.
Old 22nd March 2007, 00:34   #64
Senior - BHPian

The shalom is a big deal. Could you give us more accurate data as the time taken for the SSC to complete it. Also i would like to add one more thing, the SSC being a RWD is going to loose tremendous horses on launch by spinning its wheels. Just to give a example, AR Shabbirs Supra with more then double the power of JD Madans Evo VI was slower to 140kmph due to the Supra spinning its wheels wheras the EVO had a fantastic AWD system. So with the SSC being RWD i doubt it can hold a candle to the handling & launch of the AWD Bugatti. PERIOD.

Last edited by BUSA : 22nd March 2007 at 00:36.
Old 22nd March 2007, 00:41   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
The shalom is a big deal. Could you give us more accurate data as the time taken for the SSC to complete it. Also i would like to add one more thing, the SSC being a RWD is going to loose tremendous horses on launch by spinning its wheels.
i would recommend you having a look at the 1/4 mile launch video and if you wish i can show a video of a 6 sec corvette with little or no traction loss but awd does assist.

according to the ssc site the test should be happening on the 22nd that is today so would have to wait for them to put up the result have to sit and wait also this car also has another record that is power to weight ratio.

Last edited by pawan : 22nd March 2007 at 00:45.
Old 22nd March 2007, 00:48   #66
elf
BANNED

Quote:
... the SSC being a RWD is going to loose tremendous horses on launch by spinning its wheels. Just to give a example, AR Shabbirs Supra with more then double the power of JD Madans Evo VI was slower to 140kmph due to the Supra spinning its wheels wheras the EVO had a fantastic AWD system. So with the SSC being RWD i doubt it can hold a candle to the handling & launch of the AWD Bugatti. PERIOD.
To paraphrase Pirelli:
Power is nothing without traction.
Old 22nd March 2007, 01:07   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
To paraphrase Pirelli:
Power is nothing without traction.
Actually Elf, it's "Power is nothing without control".
Old 22nd March 2007, 01:12   #68
elf
BANNED

I know. That is why I used the term 'paraphrase' instead of the word 'quote', you gaon-wallah.
Old 22nd March 2007, 02:27   #69
BHPian

Quote:
The shalom is a big deal. Could you give us more accurate data as the time taken for the SSC to complete it. Also i would like to add one more thing, the SSC being a RWD is going to loose tremendous horses on launch by spinning its wheels. Just to give a example, AR Shabbirs Supra with more then double the power of JD Madans Evo VI was slower to 140kmph due to the Supra spinning its wheels wheras the EVO had a fantastic AWD system. So with the SSC being RWD i doubt it can hold a candle to the handling & launch of the AWD Bugatti. PERIOD.
Veyron AWD > SSC RWD
..1000 BHP launch of a AWD will be faster anyday..I would place my bet on the ugly Veyron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
i would recommend you having a look at the 1/4 mile launch video and if you wish i can show a video of a 6 sec corvette with little or no traction loss but awd does assist.
dude..wouldn't recommend comparing AWD with any RWD
AWD beats RWD anyday for launching 1000 BHP..

Quote:
wait also this car also has another record that is power to weight ratio.
ok, but remember its RWD..

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd March 2007 at 05:28.
Old 22nd March 2007, 08:33   #70
BHPian

if you are talking about track yes awd is a king but not quite on the strip because in strip rwd matter more than awd due to the power loss.
Old 22nd March 2007, 09:24   #71
GTO
Team-BHP Support

To add to what iraghava said, its also to do with local driving conditions. America has endless straight and boring freeways strictly regulated by speed guns. You couldnt really care less about handling on dead straights which accounts for a majority of commuting.

But Europe is a different breed.
Old 22nd March 2007, 11:28   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
if you are talking about track yes awd is a king but not quite on the strip because in strip rwd matter more than awd due to the power loss.
AFAIK there is more power loss in RWD. Also at full throttle RWD are going to wheel spin in higher gears as well as higher speeds.

The Video of the 1/4th mile we can see considerable amount of wheel spin. Also what RPM is the SSC being launched in that video depends. The WRX STi of satans_enemy at the speed run had zero wheelspin, so just imagine when the worlds best engineers build a buggati with the help of their children(Audi - Quattro) it will be having the best AWD systems. One of the main USP of the Lancer EVO, Subarus WRX, Audi's, Golf R32 is the AWD system. In fact AWD is so much better that even Ferrari is testing a AWD car.
Old 22nd March 2007, 11:42   #73
elf
BANNED

Technology has evolved to the extent that transmission losses today have become negligible (as compared to the early days of AWD), & the benefits that accrue from it's deployment far outnumber it's weight, complexity & power loss disadvantages.

To extend what GTO said, & to give you an example, both Mercedes Benz & BMW have offered all wheel drive systems across their entire European vehicle range for nearly two decades now. America gets only a few models which sell quite badly (compared to the rest of the range) there. This is mainly due to the general road conditions & climate in both the continents, apart from the sophistication levels of the intended purchasers.

Provided that the vehicles in question have sufficient power (as do the Evos, Bugattis, Subarus, etc. mentioned by BUSA above), they would always launch better due to greater traction & subsequently the more effective harnessing of the torque produced by the engine. The weight & suspension design would also help considerably.

Last edited by elf : 22nd March 2007 at 11:45.
Old 22nd March 2007, 11:58   #74
BHPian

a awd has a loss of 20% loss because its being transfered to two differentials and a rwd has about 10% loss. a awd has no such effect on a launch at a drag talking about high power cars this is because when the car starts to move suddenly the front end lifts increasing traction at rear wheels its only when the front end lands down its gives front wheel power thats why you dont see any awd dragsters any most of thw world record holders have rwd cars.

see this video its a 6 sec car it is street legal as no emission tests on older cars its s 84 vette with 106 mm Precision turbo iput this video to show about traction loss:
Old 22nd March 2007, 12:06   #75
elf
BANNED

Quote:
... when the car starts to move suddenly the front end lifts increasing traction at rear wheels its only when the front end lands down its gives front wheel power ...
That's why the vehicles I've mentioned above have (or should have) launch control & appropriate suspension systems.

Quote:
... see this video its a 6 sec car it is street legal as no emission tests on older cars its s 84 vette with 106 mm Precision turbo iput this video to show about traction loss ...
pawan, let's not get into tuner modified cars in this discussion. It's out of place.

Most Viewed