Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Old 1st July 2020, 17:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Next-gen Honda Civic spied

Spy images of the next generation Honda Civic have surfaced online.

Next-gen Honda Civic spied-7a5cfee00eca47e7b6b0bd0301a74ef2.jpg

The images suggest that the new Civic could retain its four-door coupe bodystyle with short front and rear overhangs. The car appears to have an almost upright front fascia with a slim grille. The test car seen in these images appears to be fitted with pre-production LED headlamps.

Next-gen Honda Civic spied-4ff2d1e92641436aacf91cac4420eabe.jpg

In side profile, the car looks almost similar to the current Civic. It has a long bonnet and a short rear section. Lack of a large rear spoiler suggests that this could be the standard model and not the Type-R.

Reports suggest that the next generation Civic could be launched in the US market in the second half of 2021.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 1st July 2020 at 17:22.
TusharK is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 21:05   #2

Default Re: Next-gen Honda Civic spied

If in case they bring this to India in the future, Honda should learn from the mistake they made with current civic and offer the 1.5L I-Vtec turbo with both manual and automatic transmissions. Manual for the enthusiasts and automatic for comfort focussed buyers.

Honda has done a big disservice to the current gen car (with 1.8 VTEC) by not giving a manual option , wasting an absolutely potent dynamics package. Current civic costs 23.5 for VX CVT. Launching a manual would have reduced the price by close to 1.5L and at 22L, it would have easily wooed the Seltos and creta buyer, both of which are almost costing 21+ lakhs for the top end variants. Also, the much more sophisticated suspension and platform of the civic would have helped the same.
klgiridhar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:14   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Spy images of the next generation Honda Civic have surfaced online.
I know there was some doubt over whether this is the Civic or not, but it fits in with Honda's 5-year timeline for generation changes (current 10th-gen Civic was launched in 2016). Ever since the highly innovative 8th-gen came out, the Civic has been a "more of the same thing" kind of car. That's not bad, but they will need to try harder to beat the crossovers which are all the rage. And sad engine combinations aren't the way to do that. If this 11th-gen Civic does come to India (I have my doubts), it had better have some serious firepower under the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klgiridhar View Post
If in case they bring this to India in the future, Honda should learn from the mistake they made with current civic and offer the 1.5L I-Vtec turbo with both manual and automatic transmissions. Manual for the enthusiasts and automatic for comfort focussed buyers.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:29   #4
BHPian

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken Honda doesn't have a 1.5L VTEC turbo in its global lineup. The 1.5 L turbo present in the current gen Civic is non VTEC. Only the Accord sport and Touring models have a 2.0 liter VTEC turbo with either a manual or a 10 speed auto box.

The Civic type R has the same 2.0 liter VTEC turbo in that crazy 300 bhp tune

Cheers
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDCi'd View Post
If I'm not mistaken Honda doesn't have a 1.5L VTEC turbo in its global lineup. The 1.5 L turbo present in the current gen Civic is non VTEC.
I don't think so. Here are the details about the 1.5L vtec turbo engine on Honda's site:

https://global.honda/innovation/tech...cturebook.html

I don't think I have ever heard about a separate non vtec 1.5 turbo. Please let me know if there is one like that
Old 2nd July 2020, 13:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

The flowing lines of new Civic, as seen in second pic of opening post above looks more like a toned-down American muscle car. I guess, this car would be well received in US of A which anyway is their biggest market.
Old 2nd July 2020, 14:55   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think so. Here are the details about the 1.5L vtec turbo engine on Honda's site:

https://global.honda/innovation/tech...cturebook.html

I don't think I have ever heard about a separate non vtec 1.5 turbo. Please let me know if there is one like that
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads...ne-genx.10202/

So its only VTC and not VTEC and they aren't exactly the same. The forum also accuses Honda of using the terminologies loosely. I'm not expert on this maybe some experienced people can throw some light onto that. While there are have been 1.5L VTEC turbos before. The current iteration available on their global lineup isn't. This same engine is available in their Civic Si in a higher tune as well.

I got to know this very recently in a video review which mentions that this is non VTEC and I was surprised as well!( think it was throttle house or redline reviews I'm not sure which)
TDCi'd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 10:54   #8

It is better if Honda releases the old Civic which was a gem rather than releasing boring cars, that too, without a manual option. At least, we car enthusiasts will buy the old civic. Back in the days, the civic was better to drive and had the fun factor more than the Altis. But now, an Altis is better in every way. Stretch your budget upwards and you get the Octavia. Seriously Honda, you must do better to sell in good numbers. Even Hyundai's Elantra appeals more than the Civic. We want a civic that behaves like its dad. The old civic is one car where all the three factors namely, fast, cheap and reliability are bundled. A little more Ground clearance and it will be a great car for city and highway drives.

Last edited by vb-san : 6th July 2020 at 12:50. Reason: Minor typo

Most Viewed