Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2020, 12:45   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade

Beautiful thread.

I had been to Dubai last year and experienced most of the 'touristy' stuff you have mentioned - including the famed 'desert dune bashing' drive. But yes - the itch to get yourself behind the wheel is a mighty big one that I couldn't scratch.

It was lovely to see all the old pictures and some of the places - I could relate to - which made it even more enjoyable. The auto-scene in Dubai is so lovely even now, wish ours came to at least 25% of it.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 13th July 2020 at 14:06. Reason: Typo
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 14:10   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Amrik, what an incredible thread of an incredible decade in Dubai. I like to fill my life with different kinds of experiences which enrich us...make life more interesting. And just like you, I prefer to take my family along wherever I can. Could tell we are two of a kind

Hope you saw our homepage today
My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-annotation-20200713-140625.png
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 15:18   #33
BHPian

To me, my family is just my Wife and my two daughters. I have always involved them in my best moments. Presently they are in US, while me and wife here in Delhi. I had joined an Off Roading group here, but found it to be more of Suicidal than enjoying besides needed a lot of regular maintenance. I could not afford, either my life or the finance and so pulled back.
Thanks for the appreciation and honour to the thread.
Amrik Singh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 15:40   #34
BHPian

What a great thread and pictures Amrik Sir! I myself have lived in UAE(Dubai) for close 5 years, and have gone to off-roading / dune bashing as a co-driver as I didn't own a 4X4! I just loved the way you described the brotherhood of the off-roaders community. Brought back some very special memories.
Do you use to go dune-bashing on the Al-ain side?

Regards!
-DB
DBeast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 15:51   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeast View Post
Do you use to go dune-bashing on the Al-ain side?

Regards!
-DB
We preferred Hatta, Kalba-Maliha road, Dubai Aweer, Fosdil Rock, Red Dune etc. Yes, made one trip near to Al Ain too. Being family oriented, had to be back soon and not stay away. For hardcore ones, Liwa (Abu Dhabi) was a destination far away. A breakdown here was a big loss to pocket besides bunle of inconvenience.

Last edited by Amrik Singh : 13th July 2020 at 16:04.
Amrik Singh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 21:06   #36

Amrikji, your exhaustive post brought back fond memories of the off-roading thrills I personally experienced with friends and family. I was a regular participant in the Xplore UAE desert drives for 5 years (2010-2014) and also am a proud recipient of a Guinness World record for the longest desert drive train of 4WD's. I used to also drive into the mountains in Oman, Jebel Hafeet and Jebel Akhdar, and had winter camping and BBQ's and bonfires with my friends group. Did quite a bit of off-roading in Oman's wadis too. I owned 2 Mitsubishi Pajeros, a 2009 3 ltr and a 2014 3.5 ltr, and both of them served me very well on long drives and off-roaring trips
Paul63 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 21:51   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul63 View Post
Did quite a bit of off-roading in Oman's wadis too. I owned 2 Mitsubishi Pajeros, a 2009 3 ltr and a 2014 3.5 ltr, and both of them served me very well on long drives and off-roaring trips
I am glad that I have reignited the passion in some members and many off-roading enthusiasts are coming out.
Pajero, in my opinion were a bit heavy with respect to its Power and so considered more valuable in snatch pulling of other stuck Cars rather than driving.
Anyway, thanks for appreciation.
Amrik Singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 22:04   #38

attaching some pics of my Desert Drives and Mountain rides/camping
Attached Thumbnails
My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-3d9b580b7c4fbd2bphoto.jpg  

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-4e718c362ac566ebphoto.jpg  

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-86b45c834b277787photo.jpg  

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-787bf2ab7ed498eephoto.jpg  

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-7882c44d3078f4dbphoto.jpg  

Paul63 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 12:55   #39
BHPian

How shameful for me to have missed sharing my trusted pals in all my Off Road ventures. These are my accessories that have been my partners in tough times. They have even helped my other friends that were in need of assistance.

Portable Air Compressor - Please don't underestimate it from its looks. There was a time it was shiny and new. But its experience & utility is showing with its age. Though in a terrible looking condition, it has a lot of air passing from its nostrils till now.

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-01.jpg

Towing strap - It has pulled me out of deep stuck syndrome a number of times. Has been on my towing hook also for me to do the same favor to others too.

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-02.jpg

Towing strap - A shorter one for less troublesome situation. If situation called, it was joined with the longer one for pulling out stuck a 4WD which was beyond the reach of single strap. Sturdy 'D' Shackles were a part of this.

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-03.jpg

Jump Start Cables - Off the shelf Jump Start Cables are of length just sufficient to connect Batteries when both the Cars are parked next to each other (Correct me if I am wrong). The Cable usually bears a thick Insulator that appears to be good, but with Conductor cable of low cross-sectional area. This tends to heat up when ignition is switched 'ON' for a longer time. I had made this set using a 4 Core Cable of good cross-sectional area, twisting bare ends of all 4 Cables to form a single Cable firmly tightened to the Clamps. The length of the Cables was sufficiently long for difficult situations.

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-04.jpg

Vacuum Suction Cup - Essential for fixing our flagpole to the Windows. Lost some of these along with the flagpoles and fluttering flags, buried in sand with time.

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-05.jpg

Ratchet Straps - During bumpy rides, anything in the Car, would be tossed around and get damaged. It could be a distraction or even hit the driver. All loose things were taken care of by these straps.

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-06.jpg

Walkie Talkie Set - In desert, it was widely used to communicate with each other in the convoy. Mobile system was yet developing and signal was not available in desert. Later, Etisalat has claimed that their signal is available in any part of UAE. Still its use cannot be negated as it is handy, sturdy, and can communicate with all members of the group at the touch of a button.

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-07.jpg

Digital Cameras - Had to be a not very costly one. The harsh conditions would push fine sand into the mechanism of the Cameras and ruin them.

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-08.jpg

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-09.jpg

Digital HandyCam 8 - Not used at the desert runs but were used a lot with family outings. I thought I had transferred all the Recorded Videos from Tapes to PC via USB, but just now found some Cassettes which are not in my system. Unable to transfer right now as the Audio Video cable for this HandyCam is not traceable and the USB is not compatible with Windows 7. Shall have to use compatible Windows XP.

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-10.jpg

Camping Tent - Suitable for sleeping 4 Persons. Has found its way from Sand Desert of UAE, to India and further to lush Camping grounds of USA.

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-11.jpg

Last edited by Amrik Singh : 14th July 2020 at 13:04.
Amrik Singh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 13:47   #40
BHPian

That is one amazing experience to have lived. Thanks a lot for sharing, you have just given many on this forum more life goals to achieve!
You indeed have enjoyed your time around the world. Hope you have many more to pen.
Visaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 13:32   #41
BHPian

We were just commoner Expatriate Guest Workers

The Ruler of Abu Dhabi has a great collection of his own. One of them is shown here

Old 25th July 2020, 19:39   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
We were just commoner Expatriate Guest Workers

The Ruler of Abu Dhabi has a great collection of his own. One of them is shown here

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=1XUEvkMZHno
Lovely thread sir. Brought back so many memories. My dad worked in Dubai from 1974 to 1993. I myself spent a good 9 years of my childhood in Dubai and now visit atleast once or twice a year. The best part for me is the old places, restaurants etc still exist and I make a point to eat there whenever I go.

The collection you mentioned above is the Emirates National Auto Museum or Rainbow Sheikh Museum. The collection comprises 250 different cars include the giant Dodge Powerwagon from the video above. I visited it in 2018 and the museum is housed in a giant pyramid. He also has two Premier Padminis, a Maruti 800 and a Mahindra Classic in his collection.
Dippy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 19:50   #43
BHPian

Talking of Premier Padmini in UAE, I remember seeing a Premier Padmini driven on road in my early days there.
Whats so great in that, is what you would ask.
Well the answer is, it had a Tow Hook fixed on its rear. Now, what would it be used to tow ? A Pram , maybe.
Whereas a Tow Hook in UAE is generally for towing a boat, a trailer with Quad bikes mounted on it or something similar and heavy and with a powerful Car (4WD) in the lead. But not a Premier Padmini ? It was a great feat that the Premier moved on its own power with a Tow Hook fixed on it.
Old 12th August 2020, 12:21   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
I had done quite a few trips with Dubai4x4 starting from Dragon Mall initially till switch over to desertlions.
I was quite regular with Gulf News Fun drive and also on the (probably first) drive with Khaleej Times. I do not recall much Marshals except my friend late Mr. Gerhard Reeck because he was Consultant Engineer at Children City Project where was was MEP Project Manager.
Glad to come across you now.
Regards.
Yes Gerhard was a dear friend. Been out with him many times. He is a good off road driver. Once in Al Faya dunes about 20 yrs ago Gerhard amd me were the only ones who made it to the top in one go. All other vehicles were stuck. The first Khaleej times fun drive was done by me in 2005. We drove around Dubai and had finished with Barbecue dinner in Planet Tours Desert camp in Aweer, Dubail Dunlop Tyres were the title sponsors in 2005 before Toyota took over.
desertfox is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed