Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2007, 23:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
It wouldn't be so because the WRX is not equipped with an automatic transmission.
Oh yes i forgot the Matic in the 4 Matic. I stand corrected. Thanks ported
Old 4th April 2007, 01:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the new beauty Vcash!!! Hope to see some nice pictures from your end & yes, Enjoy your drives!!

P.S. What happened to the E-type plan?
Old 4th April 2007, 08:37   #18
SuperSyn

vcash were there any reasons that Lexus products weren't considered? The newer cars (all of them, IS, GS, LS) are very nice indeed, and Lexus service is usually second to none.

Old 4th April 2007, 08:41   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Our old ML 320 circa 1999 has 4MATIC as an option. Again - not sure if the RHD MLs have the AWD option or are RWD with 4WD option?

Ajmat - Care to field this one?
Was talking about the passenger cars, the G, ML, GL, R come with 4wd in all guises.
Old 4th April 2007, 09:04   #20
BHPian

congrats on getting that bad boi. wat color is it and also curious on how big are the wheels ??
Old 4th April 2007, 09:33   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
GTO, The 4Matic option has been there in the E for a longtime now.
Just not in India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
@@GTO
The 4matic option is available for the C, E and S as well as all SUVs. Might be a US / Europe thing since we really don't need AWD in India / Asia.
My bad, I thought this was one of the limited edition E350s from India. Then I realised you picked it up in the States. I am aware of the 4matics being available overseas; driven some in the States.
Old 4th April 2007, 09:39   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My bad, I thought this was one of the limited edition E350s from India.
What E350 limited edition in India? Shed some more light on this....
Old 4th April 2007, 10:05   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
What E350 limited edition in India? Shed some more light on this....
Check it out here : Linky
Old 4th April 2007, 12:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Scooby, the ML as i understand is a 4X4 which translates to not being permanant 4 wheel drive so cannot be termed as a 4Matic. If it is, then its an AWD like the Forrester. The problem here is that motor car companies have patented certain terms and as such the other companies cannot use them. 4Matic is a merc owned term or word as a logo as Quattro is used only used by Audi. I think your previously owned Sti would meet the norms and can be termed as a 4Matic but not legally. Take common rail diesel technology for instance. Hyundai cals it Crdi, Mahindras call it CrDe, Ford calls it Tdci, Mercedes calls it Cdi but they all mean the same using the same technology. Im my opinion the 4Matic = Permanant 4Wheel Drive. What the companies do is add different features like Hill Descent etc and change the power transfer ratios to the wheels and advertise their product as superior. But if one can change the power transfer from front/rear to four wheel as in the humble jeep it not a permanent 4 wheeler.
Phew! hope that helped.
Dear The ML is the face lift 2004 version, bought CBU in 2005 from MBIL. Its a permanent 4 wheel drive[thats a AWD] the only option the driver has is to shift to "low range" for difficult terrains. so it means the 4matic doesnt it? but it also has the ESP, so i guess the electronic sensors shift ratios according to drive/road/speed etc.
Old 4th April 2007, 12:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Check it out here : Linky
Yes, the E350 CBU is available in india, thru the dealers. Infact they are not able to sell them because of the high prices. come with full options and lying with MBIL for 6 months now!! including panaromic roof. earlier prices were 65lacs on road, now it seems they are offering some discounts to liquidate them.[just as how i picked up the ML at a discount in 2005]
Old 4th April 2007, 16:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

well im not too sure but i think there is no 4Matic available in MB suvs which means that they are already 4Matic . I presume this is MBs way of badging sedans and saloons which are not actually seen as 4WDs. So that means now if one does'nt fancy SUVs (that would be someone like myself) but have to get a 4X4 car, (not being an SUV) due to weather conditions or whatever, one has a choice and can get a 4X4 non SUV, only its called 4Matic ie the feel of a car and the driveability of an SUV. Tell you, these ad guys.
Of course the whle expanation above goes for a toss out of the window if merc does make a 4Matic ML which i seriously doubt. So ure right about your ml already being 4Matic then!!

Last edited by V-16 : 4th April 2007 at 16:37.
Old 4th April 2007, 20:24   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
well im not too sure but i think there is no 4Matic available in MB suvs which means that they are already 4Matic . I presume this is MBs way of badging sedans and saloons which are not actually seen as 4WDs. So that means now if one does'nt fancy SUVs (that would be someone like myself) but have to get a 4X4 car, (not being an SUV) due to weather conditions or whatever, one has a choice and can get a 4X4 non SUV, only its called 4Matic ie the feel of a car and the driveability of an SUV. Tell you, these ad guys.
Of course the whle expanation above goes for a toss out of the window if merc does make a 4Matic ML which i seriously doubt. So ure right about your ml already being 4Matic then!!
All MB SUVs are now badged as 4MATIC. Mercedes-Benz, Home of Mercedes-Benz Luxury Automobiles
You and Scooby are right that they are FT 4WD. I think MB brands them 4MATIC to promote the branding universally amongst its product lines as does Audi for Quattro and BMW for X drive.

@GTO - Sorry for not clarifying that the E350 was bought in the states. I never knew that they sold the 350 in India and now your comparison to S class pricing makes sense.

@JUELZ 41 - The Wheels are 18" Twin-10 Spokes and the color is Pewter Metallic - A combination of Silver and Champagne.

@SuperSyn - We have a Lexus GX470 and love it! Lex Service is unparalled and the Germans cant even come close. The IS and GS were too small. THE LS was a technological behemoth and the ride was luxurious and supple but it did not inspire confidence around turns and corners like the 5 series or the E did. Plus it was RWD which threw it out of contention since AWD was a prerequisite.

@iraghava - Thanks Ishan! The XK project is on the backburner as all the good cars are $60K plus. I am looking for something within $30K since this would be a summer weekend car. The Defender project is on and Xtreme Power has offered to help me locate one in Mumbai when I come down in August.

Wow - this thread has digressed! I wish I could put up pictures sooner but when I get done from work it's too dark to take her out on a photo shoot. I'll put up pics this weekend and I promise that you guys will not be dissapointed!
Old 5th April 2007, 11:14   #28
Team-BHP Support

A trivial bit of info - the 4matics are assembled or at least some of the final assembly is completed in Austria by Steyr Puch who assemble the Crossfire, G Class, some ML Class, the X3
Old 9th April 2007, 08:20   #29
BHPian

Hey All,

It was a really hectic weekend and between The Masters on TV, weekend errands and other commitments, I didn't have time to take her out for a photo shoot. But I wanted to post some pics which I took in the garage. They are not great but they showcase some of the E's fluid lines. I will post a detailed driving review and take some pictures outside later. I hope you enjoy them.

Old 9th April 2007, 18:41   #30
Senior - BHPian

Wow the wheels & interior looks fabulous Vcash!! Hope you're really enjoying driving her around!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks