Team-BHP - X Prize for 100mpg car
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   X Prize for 100mpg car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/22825-x-prize-100mpg-car.html)

The X Prize foundation, the same guys who offered $10 million prize for private spacecraft have now announced prize worth millions for the first PRACTICAL car which gives 100mpg.
No science projects please. The car should be practical.
Categories : 4-passenger/4-wheel; and 2-passenger/unspecified wheels
Automotive X PRIZE: Prize Overview

this sounds really interesting is bikes allowed then i could pick up a cd 100 and put gas on it and try lol but wish i can enter.

Sorry, no bikes. Already there are so many bikes which give 100mpg+ in India, not to mention the 150mpg+ 100cc bikes!

Nevertheless, the winner is going to be a diesel for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 404890)
Sorry, no bikes. Already there are so many bikes which give 100mpg+ in India, not to mention the 150mpg+ 100cc bikes!

Nevertheless, the winner is going to be a diesel for sure.

thought i could win 10 mil but .

Move over 100cc guys, Wouldn't the fiesta qualify for this ?;) (With the incredible mileage being advertised ?)

You believe it or not, FIAT had (a prototype) a version of Palio on 1.2 turbo diesel which is supposed to give 94MPG. I've read it about some where on the net. It is also supposed to be a low-cost car, but cost of manufacturing that 1.2 turbo diesel was on the higher side, hence they didn't do it.

The Third World car war | Features | Motoring | Telegraph

here is the excrept about what I'm talking earlier.
<<
This was also the principle behind the innovative Fiat Ecobasic concept of 1999. Notwithstanding the success of the Palio, a conventional steel-bodied, low-cost car for South America launched a decade ago, Fiat also produced this brilliant little hatchback that promised 94mpg economy and 80g/km CO2 emissions, with low production costs thanks to the use of pre-coloured, sheet-moulded plastic (SMC) coachwork, which dispensed with the need for a paintshop at the factory. The purchase price was mooted at 6,000 euros (£4,000).
While the Ecobasic was a fantastic little car, great to look at and to drive, it was very expensive to produce, especially its advanced 1.2-litre turbodiesel engine, and that's what killed it off. [COLOR=#0000ff]When I drove it[/COLOR], I evoked the appeal of economical, utilitarian transport, but I now realise this was decadent and wrong. The era of cars such as Dante Giacosa's Fiat Topolino and Nuova Cinquecento, cars that could get a whole country moving, are long gone, in Europe at least. I'd still like to own a Fiat Ecobasic, but that's for selfish reasons. I know it wouldn't be suitable, let alone affordable, for a rural Chinese family.
>>

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 404906)
Move over 100cc guys, Wouldn't the fiesta qualify for this ?;) (With the incredible mileage being advertised ?)

Nope. 1 US Gallon = 3.78 Litres & 100 miles = 160 kms, so the FE required is around 42.32 kmpl.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahadev_kc (Post 404918)
You believe it or not, FIAT had (a prototype) a version of Palio on 1.2 turbo diesel which is supposed to give 94MPG.

Under Ferdianand Piech even VW developed a car around 2002-03 which gave more than 100 mpg on diesel. But it was a proto & not destined for production. In fact, VW currently sells a 3L-100mpg diesel Lupo in Europe.

If you read the link, they will test the car in their own way. So no driving at 60kmph in 5th gear. Running through their test cycles, the car should give 100mpg.
If the earlier X Prize for spacecrafts is any indication, the tests will be very very tough.

Quote:

the FE required is around 42.32 kmpl.
Did we not have a hyundai verna thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...=hyundai+verna

Hyundai could get there before ford.

31 teams have been announced for the Auto XPrize
Automotive X-Prize announces first 31 teams accepted to competition - AutoblogGreen
Home Page of the competition

The list

• Aptera Motors – California, USA
• Commuter Cars Corp. – Washington, USA
• Cornell University – New York, USA
• DEHyds – Washington, USA
• Delta Motorsport – Northants, UK
• Desert Fuel – Arizona, USA
• Disruptech – California, USA
• Dragonfly Technology LTD – Northhampton, UK
• Fuel Vapor Technologies – British Columbia, Canada
• GreenIt! – Oregon, USA
• Herf Duo – Berlin, Germany
• HyKinesys – California, USA
• Kinetic Vehicles – Oregon, USA
• Kuttner Doran Inventions – Virginia, USA
• Loremo AG – Munich, Germany
• Maine Automotive X – Maine, USA
• MDI, Inc. & Zero Pollution Motors LLC – New York, USA
• Michigan Vision – Michigan, USA
• MotoTron Corporation – Wisconsin, USA
• Phoenix Motorcars – California, USA
• Prometheus Systems, LLC – Arizona, USA
• Porteon Electric Vehicles, Inc. – Oregon, USA
• Psycho-Active – Georgia, USA
• Roane Inventions – Texas, USA
• Society for Sustainable Mobility – California, USA
• Spirit One – Alberta, Canada
• Tesla Motors – California, USA
• Valentin Technologies – Wisconsin, USA
• Velozzi – California, USA
• X Tracer – Winterthur, Switzerland
• ZAP Motors – California, USA

nice thread..but the statistics are very ironic...

the contenders as mentioned below are mostly American (read guzzlers) and Europeans..(never mind)

Asian countries should be the only sole contenders here...India being one of the top 3...

I bet the Japs will win it...but seems like the want to sit out of this one...:p

cheers..