Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2020, 13:04   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rolls-Royce’s illuminated Spirit Of Ecstasy banned by European Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
"Most of these answers are wrong because they ignore two things.

Plenty of research out there that takes all these factors into consideration as they make a total energy calculation over the life of vehicle, which includes any and all emissions required for the production of raw materials, the actual production, shipping/transportation etc right down the disposal of the car at its useful end of life.

And those calculations show EV way ahead of traditional cars. That does not mean EVs do not have an impact on the environment. Leading up to and including its production and eventually dismantlement. One of the biggest factor, during its lifetime is for instance the wear of brakes and tyres. Which is a particular nasty one.

Of course, the next thing is to start sharing cars. The number of car in use at any point in time, compared to the number of cars on the planet is staggering small. If everybody shares it will have a tremendous impact on the environment. Fewer raw materials will need to dug up, transported, fewer cars need manufacturing etc.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 13:40   #32
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Plenty of research out there that takes all these factors into consideration as they make a total energy calculation over the life of vehicle, which includes any and all emissions required for the production of raw materials, the actual production, shipping/transportation etc right down the disposal of the car at its useful end of life.

Fewer raw materials will need to dug up, transported, fewer cars need manufacturing etc.
I wish we could just modify and rework old vehicles nearing the end of their lives to meet the new emission norms and keep using them instead of depending on newly manufactured ones. Reduction in manufacturing will cascade effect on pollution as it will affect multiple industries at once.

Just a few years down the line, I'd love to own an F10 523i with an N.A. straight six, right near the end of it's life. Ability to modify it to Euro6 or BSVI standards would just be wonderful instead of waiting 10 years to buy a new turbo I4.
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 13:47   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
I wish we could just modify and rework old vehicles nearing the end of their lives to meet the new emission norms and keep using them instead of depending on newly manufactured ones. Reduction in manufacturing will cascade effect on pollution as it will affect multiple industries at once.
As I mentioned before, the essence of EU regulation is you can keep using your vehicle as long as you like. It needs to comply with all regulations, including emission of the year of manufacturing. So new regulations are not enforced retrospectively. (that is one of the reason there are so many classic cars around in Europe.) So none of my cars need adjusting for emission norms. They are in compliance with whatever was relevant in 1982, 1986 and 2002.

There is a bit of tension between this principle and some of the emission zones in European Cities. On the one hand you have a car that is perfectly road legal, but you might not be able to take it into certain towns. Several countries do have exemption schemes for classic cars too. But it is the not so old car that can become a problem. E.g. my 2002 Jaguar XJR in less than a few years is likely to be banned in all Belgium cities. (So I need to drive around these cities or avoid them all together )

Even so, you can see more and more initiatives around electrifying “classic cars”. I understand why it is happening, but I am not that interested in it. Or rather, from a technical point of view I find it interesting, but I am not interested to own one myself. At least not at this point in time. There is no need for it, yet!

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 19th October 2020 at 13:48.
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 13:53   #34
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
E.g. my 2002 Jaguar XJR in less than a few years is likely to be banned in all Belgium cities. (So I need to drive around these cities or avoid them all together )

Even so, you can see more and more initiatives around electrifying “classic cars”. Or rather, from a technical point of view I find it interesting, but I am not interested to own one myself. At least not at this point in time. There is no need for it, yet
Then the 523i plan is on! I'd just need to skip delhi and/or make it look like an LCI with M Sport kit, digital cluster and LED headlamps.
Old 20th October 2020, 07:38   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Let's get back on topic guys. No more off-topic posts please. Thank you!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks