Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2020, 15:28   #1
BHPian

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?

This post is my subjective view on one of the most beautiful automobiles on earth.

The first car was built by Karl Benz. The Benz Patent-Motorwagen ("patent motorcar"), built in 1885, is widely regarded as the world's first production automobile, that is, a vehicle designed to be propelled by an internal combustion engine. The original cost of the vehicle in 1885 was 600 imperial German marks, approximately 150 US dollars (equivalent to $4,268 in 2019). It had a 1.0L (954cc) single cylinder engine 2/3hp.

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-330pxfirst_car_replica_iaa_2007_1_crop.jpg

Car manufacturing has come a long way in the last 135 years and this vehicle I believe represents the pinnacle of car manufacturing.

Now at this decade we are at a watershed moment. The cars were largely powered by ICE engines for the last 135 years but from say 2030, I suspect there might be hardly any Internal combustion engine vehicle production.

Dictionary Definition of a Car: "A road vehicle with an engine, four wheels, and seats for a small number of people"

However, in my view a Car has also the below distinct purposes. IMHO there is only one car which fits all these.
  • A sport tool/machine (Racing, Rallying, Drag-racing)
  • An adventure companion (Overlanding, world-trips)
  • A status symbol
  • A commuting vehicle
  • An object of art

The pinnacle of production cars by categories:

Fastest on road:SSC Tuatara (508 KMPH)M
Fastest on track:Lamborghini Aventador SVJ (6:44:97 at Nordschleife)
Fastest city car/Most fun city car: BMW Mini Cooper/Ford Focus RS
Fastest on most terrains: Mercedes AMG G 63
Best Overlanding vehicle: Jeep Wrangler
Most comfortable on road: Rolls Royce Phantom
The best electric car: Porsche Taycan Turbo S
The safest car: Volvo XC 90
Most beautiful car:Mclaren P1/Ferrari 488 Pista

I know there might be other categories and arguably other vehicles which are the better. However, please note that this is a subjective list, feel free to comment your favorites.

Now, for the purposes of safe commuting and status symbol RR Phantom would arguably be THE BEST. However, it does not tickle the adventure spirit.

What if there is a car which you can take it to a track and have fun, go on a adventure road-trip, and attend an Dinner/event in style, comfort and luxury? Ofcourse one could argue that we can have multiple cars for different purposes which will definitely be better. However, the sheer possibility of having one vehicle which can do most things well is just mind-blowing.

I like the Continental GT's interiors than the RR Phantom and would you believe if I say Continental GT is one of the fastest production cars in the Pikes peak International Hill Climb.

Behold the Bentley Continental GT

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-img_4852.jpg

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-img_4849.jpg

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-img_4878.jpg

I feel 'The Bentley Continental GT' is a perfect amalgamation of most purposes mentioned above. I would argue that this the best car on the planet now. The Continental GT was love at first sight and it only increased after considering the fact that might be the last generation of vehicles with an Internal combustion engine. The W12 and the V8 of the Continental GT will be a collectors dream.

The GT is one of the finest IC engine car that was ever made. The pinnacle of technology and craft of automobile making at its finest. The collusion of German Engineering and British craft of making automobiles has yielded us this fascinating creation.

For those who do not know, it is German Engineering as Bentley is owned by VW group and the chassis and drive train comes from Porsche.

Specs and Features
  • 6.0 litre twin turbo-charged W12 engine producing 635 PS & 900 Nm of torque or V8
  • Air suspension with 48 Volt active anti-roll system
  • 8 speed dual clutch transmission
  • 21 inch wheels
  • 650 watt, 10-channel, 10 speaker audio system
  • 0 - 60 mph 3.6 seconds, 0 - 100 km/h 3.7 seconds
  • Max Speed: 207 mph / 333 km/h
  • Kerb weight: 2244 kg

Full specs here:

[ATTACH=bentleycontinentalgt2019-complete-specs-1550863299.pdf]2078284[/ATTACH]

The Bentley Car Configurator: https://www.bentleymotors.com/en/mis...figurator.html

It is one of the best car configurators ever I have used, one can customise from paint, interior trim options, wheels, accessories.

Here is what I have configured:

Bentley Brochure.pdf

The artist:

Pictures of the beauty:
Attached Thumbnails
Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-img_4847.jpg  

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-img_4848.jpg  

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-img_4850.jpg  

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-img_4854.jpg  

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-img_4862.jpg  

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-img_4864.jpg  

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-img_4867.jpg  

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-img_4871.jpg  

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-img_4886.jpg  

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-img_4890.jpg  

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-img_4894.jpg  

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-img_4896.jpg  

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-img_4897.jpg  

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-img_4909.jpg  

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-img_4910.jpg  

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-img_4912.jpg  

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-img_4916.jpg  

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-img_4918.jpg  

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-img_4919.jpg  

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-img_4920.jpg  

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-img_4922.jpg  

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-img_4924.jpg  

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-img_4926.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf bentleycontinentalgt2019-complete-specs-1550863299.pdf (501.1 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by Godzilla : 9th November 2020 at 15:34.
Godzilla is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 15:48   #2
BHPian

re: Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?

Bentley Continental Pikes peak edition

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-bentleycontinentalgtpikespeak.jpg

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-bentleycontinetalgtpikespeakedition.jpg

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-bentleytakesonpikespeakwithcontinentalgt1920x805.jpg

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-bentleycontinentalgtpikespeak2.jpg

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-contipikespeak_01.jpg

Pure lust

Beautful roads with the Gorgeous beast. A dream date.

Mesmerising Night drive

Details video review:

V8 roar in the track:

The playlist :https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...niOtJwsoHzzzfq
Godzilla is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 17:34   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for sharing. Certainly an interesting car.

I won’t comment on best, but it certainly is not going to get awards for the prettiest car in my opinion.

This is one mother of a car, very much in your face! This car just shouts show-off and or up yours, take your pick.

But a very impressive package, but maybe not something to be seen with?

Br jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 18:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good thread. Nicely curated videos.

They seem to have attempted a lot of stuff with the car. One awesome machine!

Thanks for sharing!
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 18:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?

A Bentley is a Bentley - an outstanding car.
But I associate the best car in the world tag to the Mercedes S Class. Although, I must say when I got an opportunity to sit in it for the first time (early this year), I frankly wondered what's the fuss about?!
rrsteer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 09:08   #6
BHPian

My favourite car up until this point was the Mclaren P1 and the 458 speciale aperta but after reading your post for a car that can basically do everything I wanna say it might be the ferrari gtc4 lusso.

All wheel drive for the adventure - Check
A comfortable 4 seater for munching miles-Check
A V12 engine with a soundtrack to die for - Check
A work of art-Check (Atleast in my eyes)
Bonus - It's Italian

Name:  Screenshot_202011100906472.png
Views: 5478
Size:  446.3 KB
aansh singhania is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 15:42   #7
Team-BHP Support

I am not a fan of the Continental GT. Its looks are not as classy as the older Bentleys such as the Arnage and Azure and I find the interior overdone. But, that's just my personal view.

The engine though, is a masterpiece. Considering the weight of the car, it is quite astonishing that it is so fast. Just imagine this monster outrunning some purpose built supercars!

Not sure if it is the best IC engine car in the world, but even if it isn't, it would certainly be close.
Aditya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 10:38   #8
BHPian

I love the Continental GT.

Its W engine was the first which got attention to the brand. I remember making a seminar on that engine during my engineering days.

I have seen it on the road, commands a humongous presence. The rear is a bit bland but damn classy. The interiors can be customised- white with black checked Stichting is one which I would pick with ink blue shade on the exterior.

In my list of the dream cars this & the continental spur are at the top - depending on when I buy it, I am a bad boy or a classy CEO.

I hate the Track versions with the gawdy spoilers though.
Old 11th November 2020, 11:20   #9
BHPian

The Flying Spur for me

I used to be a huge fan of the GT, till I saw the Flying Spur. Pure class, indescribably menacing at the same time. The perfect amalgamation of straight lines, curves and a 600 horsepower W12.

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-bentley-1.jpg

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-bentley-2.jpg

And is if this wasn't delicious enough, somebody decided to render an estate version! Just makes me go weak. Completely weak!

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-estate-1.jpg

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-estate-2.jpeg

As the venerable Mr. May would put it:

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-fizz.jpg

Last edited by Tassem : 11th November 2020 at 11:23.
Tassem is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Fastest on road:SSC Tuatara (508 KMPH)M
this is debatable. Jerod Shelby, CEO of SSC has admitted that doubts, criticism and reviews by prominent car youtubers forced the company to review the footage and came to the conclusion that "something" doesn't add up. Hence, they will be doing a re-run in the near future.
Personally, I feel the Tuatara is capable of insane speeds but whether it can smash the record remains to be seen.
Maedhros is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 10:00   #11
BHPian

While I personally wouldn't call it the best ICE car, it certainly is very special. I haven't had the pleasure of driving one yet, but I remember the review that completely changed my opinion on the car.

A few years ago, Vicki Butler Henderson reviewed the CGT convertible on Fifth Gear. I distinctly remember how she was imrpressed with the split personality of the car – a comfortable GT that's still enjoyable on the twisties when you want it to be.

And to be honest, if I'm spending that much on a car, I'd prefer if it's relaxing to drive for those road trips and fun to drive for those night drives! Seeing all the different versions of the car mentioned in this thread also prove how versatile the CGT is!

P.S. can't find the video on YouTube. Please do share if anyone has the link!
AnInternetUser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 11:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Bentleys are definitely a thing of beauty !

I haven't driven one nor been offered a ride in one, but from having seen one at close quarters while abroad, the thing does take a place in your heart.

During the original trio's tenure in top gear, Richard Hammond seemed to have a blast in the previous generation Continental GT in an Australian Mine. That video was so WOW ! Fun and luxury ! Yes, It is indeed an allrounder if you can afford it.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 00:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

Bentley has just built the 80,000th example of the Continental GT at its factory in Crewe, taking them 18 years and three generations since the original model debuted in 2003.

The landmark vehicle is a right-hand drive Continental GT V8 finished in Orange Flame and featuring the optional Blackline and Styling specifications.

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-bentleycontinentalgt80000th16a.jpg

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-bentleycontinentalgt80000th14.jpg

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-bentleycontinentalgt80000th15.jpg

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-bentleycontinentalgt80000th18.jpg

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-bentleycontinentalgt80000th13a.jpg

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 11:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

2022 Bentley Continental GT Speed revealed

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-20210324_114320.jpg

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-20210324_114323.jpg

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-20210324_114326.jpg

It is powered by a twin-turbo 6.0-liter W-12 engine with 650 hp and 900Nm comes with an updated eight-speed dual-clutch transmission which claims to be at its best when the car is put in the Sport mode.

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-continental_gt_speed__16.jpg

Bentley says it will go from zero to 60 mph in 3.5 seconds and has a top speed of 208 mph.

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-machine_veneer_detail_v2-1398x699.jpg

The electronic all-wheel steering set up ensures that all four wheels turn in the same direction at high speeds for improved stability while the front and rear wheels turn in opposite directions at moderate speeds.

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-continental_gt_speed__1.jpg

The Speed gets air springs, adaptive dampers, and Bentley's Dynamic Ride system, which utilizes active anti-roll bars. 22-inch wheels will be standard.

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-continental_gt_speed__18.jpg

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-continental_gt_speed__17.jpg

Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?-continental_gt_speed__8.jpg

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 24th March 2021 at 12:00.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 09:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

2021 Bentley Continental GT Speed track review

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks