Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2020, 14:00   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW targets design critics in the iX EV commercial

I have never been a big fan of BMW, even though I have owned a few 5-series. Too bland a design for my taste.

Neither am I particular fond of EVs. And that is before we discuss range.

Still, I liked the video and this iX got me interested! I like cars that break with tradition!

Going to call the BMW dealer to get myself a test drive with one of these contraptions later next year. BMW site tells me it will be in the showroom from November 2021 onwards. Wait and see

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 19th November 2020 at 14:20.
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 14:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

What is ugly is ugly.
The rebuttal by BMW saying why are people so opposed to the change, is bonkers. Seriously? People in fact eagerly wait for new models... just not when new models are so butt ugly. Where does the buck stop with these grilles? First it was Lexus which introduced absolutely terrifying open mouth grilles and now BMW. Oh and 4 series not only looks bad from the front owing to that grille, side profile is also sad and very unlike BMW.

Seems like a futile exercise to just keep pushing hideous designs and waiting in the hope that design "grows" on people - what are the chances any of these humongous grille'd BMWs to get loved over time by the masses? I say next to zero.
In the hindsight, I despised most of the BMWs from 2014-18~ too but now I feel those were beautiful compared to these 2020-2021 monstrosities.
Old 20th November 2020, 09:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
So this how MG Hector would look with right sized alloy

Calm your grill down BMW. This might look worse once new design theme comes up for EV, as they don't need any grill at all.
giri1.8 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 10:01   #19
BHPian

As long as they have the Chinese market, they can afford to be so arrogant.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/bmw-sal...ry-11604480573
Old 20th November 2020, 10:28   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The video titled "What's your reason not to change?", features actual quotes from social media. Rebutting each and every one of them, the narrator asks if we have started to feel uncomfortable with the unknown or have we just stopped being open for anything new.
I have to ride the fence here, its absolutely true that people are uncomfortable with the unknown, people's reaction here to almost any new design, is a testament, first it was fluidic design of Hyundai calling it "Korean" even though it was an all European team who did it, then perhaps it was my own reaction to Lexus which for it's time was daring and absolutely brutal on the eyes, but today I'm neutral to them, I even like how their SUV's look, maybe that is what it is? Getting warmed up to a design? Likewise people looking at Hyundai design today, seem to yearn for the designs of a decade back which they hated at that point of time as well.

However, BMWs today really are an aesthetic mess, I get that the designers wanted to go daring and all guns blazing and that it is their baby project which they've brought into fruition, but I absolutely loathe their designs today, they've made Chris Bangle's designs seem very simple, measured and aesthetic (I liked his designs btw) and that's saying a lot.

From Tesla's Cybertruck to this iX EV, it seems that there is a lot to worry about EV in terms of design and aesthetics, which seems to take away from the fact that EVs are fuss-free and easy to drive.

I hate timeless and "clean" lined (is there such a thing as dirty lines?) cars as well, between the VW's design sold in India today and this, I'll pick the controversial designs any day, however, its sad that there is no in-between designs today appealing almost universally across all age groups and income brackets.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 10:57   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SreeT View Post
There's nothing new about the grille. Beavers have been sporting that look for millions of years.

Attachment 2082239
When ‘kidney grille’ becomes the ‘lungs grille’
RoboCop13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 11:39   #22
Team-BHP Support

The grille may bring in extremely polarized opinions, but I am sure very soon this will be the ‘new normal’ for BMW.
Recently saw the 4 series coupe and the big grin/grille actually lends some good street presence to the car.

Coming to the iX EV, a pretty neat video featuring Christoph Waltz

vb-saan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 12:02   #23
BHPian

Un-popular Opinion !

I actually like the way these BMWs look. In my opinion BMW has been overly conservative ever since Chris Bangle left the company. Recent designs have been pretty bland & never had much of a presence.

I owned a Facelift F10 530d MSport, which i thought looked a tad bland. However i never upgraded to the current G30 5 series simply because it was too bland, especially the interior. It felt like every 5 Series after the E60 was getting more & more boring with each new generation. I thought BMW was playing it too safe till the current Big Grill upgrades started rolling out.

Though i don't fully agree with their response to this issue, design wise - i think they are finally starting to take some risks which i appreciate.
CalmConquests is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 12:09   #24
BHPian

I was really excited when they first launched the first looks of the 3.0 CSL Hommage in 2015 with the original Kidney grill design, it was just perfect. I still believe with a few tweaks they can get it right.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW targets design critics in the iX EV commercial-ezgif.comgifmaker.jpg  

glikithvinayaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 12:46   #25
BHPian

Change is not always good,
BMW is perfect example for the same.

BMW targets design critics in the iX EV commercial-img_20201120_123650.jpg

It's not very difficult to choose between the two if one has to.
BMW should consider bringing back their conventional smaller grill or at least should keep the option to choose between the two.

Not changing much is good sometimes,
VW Polo is perfect example for the same.
Look at this red beauty
BMW targets design critics in the iX EV commercial-poloexteriorrightfrontthreequarter.jpg
gjnnbagal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 13:13   #26
BHPian

My personal opinion even though it is contrary to popular opinion, is I like the way the iX looks and appreciate BMW having the guts in them to push the boundaries. EVs are futuristic cars and they should look like one. Even the upcoming Ms are pushing it forward, when it comes to design.

Disclaimer: I am a geek and a bmw customer.
animeshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 13:25   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

What a fantastic ad. I think change is good - I personally like the older designs better but I would much rather go with it controversial innovation than more of the same. And this is a look that could grow on you.
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 13:43   #28
BHPian

The designs from BMW and Hyundai are so polarising that all they want is to make people just talk about their design.....even though it is in negative sense

Funny, I see a neatly designed car from a random OEM, I do the following:
1. Firstly, Imagine how bad BMW or Hyundai designs have been recently
2. Then start to admire the design of the new car

Thats how polarising the designs have been. You just can't stop discussing/thinking about them.
Old 20th November 2020, 14:26   #29
BHPian

Against popular opinion, I also am a fan of BMW's new designs. Just like the new M3's design, which I hated at first, I grew on it and now I genuinely like it. I appreciate BMW for taking risks and exploring new territories despite angering their fanbase in the process. I am excited about their new designs and hope to see one in my garage someday. I think its safe to say people will continue to buy BMWs and sales will only go up since if the current Creta is a best-seller, any car design can sell (no offense)
Old 20th November 2020, 15:33   #30
BHPian

Actually, in the video, I didn't find it as bad as it looks in the pics.

Most Viewed