911- 996 11 6.96%
911 - 997 25 15.82%
911 – 991 20 12.66%
911 - 992 43 27.22%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2020, 10:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Porsche 911: Which is your favourite generation?

None of these actually. A Singer Porsche any which day!
Old 3rd December 2020, 10:25   #17
BHPian

Has to be the legendary 993 Turbo S with 450 horses for me !!!1(Childhood memories from NFS High stakes)
Just love the shape and size of this model
Porsche 911: Which is your favourite generation?-993.jpg

Also the reincarnation of the RUF Yellowbird CTR in 2017 is a spectacular machine
Porsche 911: Which is your favourite generation?-landscape14888747022017rufctr4.jpg
123.rishabh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 10:49   #18
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

The 911 - 964. The all time absolute favourite of mine. It was the first car I had ever driven (virtually ) in a game back in 2001! Oh how that hot potato mess of pixels pulled at my heartstrings and that screaming flat-six. To me, 964 and 993 would always be special as they look like absolutely smashing potatoes. I love potatoes. Yeah, customisation whatnot but modern NFS games are just a shell of what they used to be.
Attached Thumbnails
Porsche 911: Which is your favourite generation?-maxresdefault-6.jpg  

Porsche 911: Which is your favourite generation?-maxresdefault-5.jpg  

Porsche 911: Which is your favourite generation?-ps1_need_for_speed_high_stakes120314.jpg  

vredesbyrd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 11:00   #19

Whatever little experience i have had behind the wheels of 911 was on 997 and 991 series, I always found the NA Carrera more engaging to drive compared to Turbo S, although trying launch control on 911 Turbo S was one the best experiences behind the wheel I ever had.
It's really hard to choose between 911's , Porsche has always kept this car updated with changing times.

I will vote for 997 as it still felt a bit more analog than the current crop, but honestly speaking wouldn't mind having any of these (barring 996 with those ugly headlights) if the pocket would have allowed.
Lukky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 11:29   #20
BHPian

I think everyone here is going to vote for the contemporary 911 from when they were growing up !! And, particularly, the earliest one they have a memory of.

Last edited by chieftain : 3rd December 2020 at 11:32.
Old 3rd December 2020, 13:22   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by S15 View Post
Cant vote, but if I could, I'd happily vote for 996.
The most distinctive 911 to me.
This was the car that started the GT3 variant.
for sure, but has been affecting me as well, for some reason after I log in I can't vote, I see this message ; Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll.

Moderators, please move to the appropriate forum if required. I had raised an issue via the contact us form as well.

Last edited by vb-saan : 3rd December 2020 at 13:41. Reason: Quote tags fixed. Thanks!
Old 3rd December 2020, 13:54   #22
BHPian

If i could vote, i would vote for 992.

Last July i had the best 8 hours of my life by renting this beauty from Zürich and drove through scenic schwarzwald (Blackforest).

Porsche 911: Which is your favourite generation?-img_8990.jpg
Porsche 911: Which is your favourite generation?-img_8970.jpg
Porsche 911: Which is your favourite generation?-img_8969.jpg
Porsche 911: Which is your favourite generation?-img_8968.jpg
Porsche 911: Which is your favourite generation?-img_8964.jpg
Herr_Autobahn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 14:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

I was torn between the 964 and 993, but eventually opted for the 993. The last of the air-cooled Porsche's is also probably the best looking of the lot.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 14:26   #24

(Would love to vote, but dunno why the option of voting is not available)

My all-time favourite 911 has to be the 930 Turbo, the way it looks, those compact dimensions. Just perfection.

One more 911 I love is 991.2. Was not a big fan of the 992 gen due to its square bonnet but it grew on me. And lemme tell you, that rear is absolutely drool-worthy.

Not a big fan of 996 though, those headlights are something I don't like that much.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd December 2020 at 16:43. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old 3rd December 2020, 14:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

This is like taking the ten year old me to the candy shop and asking to select just one ! All of them I love all of them !

I think the first Porsche I remember has to be the Porsche 911- 996. Hence voted for that. Till now never drove one, so cant comment on any other aspects other than the looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
The 911 - 964. The all time absolute favourite of mine. It was the first car I had ever driven (virtually ) in a game back in 2001! Oh how that hot potato mess of pixels pulled at my heartstrings and that screaming flat-six. To me, 964 and 993 would always be special as they look like absolutely smashing potatoes. I love potatoes. Yeah, customisation whatnot but modern NFS games are just a shell of what they used to be.
This too for me was my first NFS. High stakes was a very cool game !
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:41   #26
BHPian

Had a chance to see the review of the 2021 Porsche 911 GT3RS by Henry Catchpole from Carfection and the video starts with a flyby. That exhaust note is enough to make you sell your soul and be the first in line to buy it. And the fact that it is still naturally aspirated and comes with a 6 speed manual gearbox as an option in this day and age is a testament that Porsche has listened to its customers.

By no means I would say I dislike the older generation cars. We wouldn't have got the 2021 911 GT3RS if they weren't there.
ron_9191 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 21:20   #27

As someone else has said here before, I too grew up playing the NFS 2000 Porsche game with all porsches up till then. I was in love with the 911-993 turbo. There was just something about the lines that were sharp along with the curves that made it look amazing.

Much later I got the chance to see and drive one while in college. There used to be one parked next to the street and I would ogle at it everyday. One day I was standing there and simply taking it in after a bad exam day. And the guy (an old bloke, about my fathers age) comes out and says he’s been watching me stare at the car for so many days, he offered me a ride in it! That was the first time I had ever been in a Porsche and that too a 993. It was not a turbo but even then the rawness of the engine and sounds were amazing. He offered me to drive it in an empty parking lot. I was a bit scared but loved to be behind the wheel for a short distance. Its the most memorable experience I’ve had. Although I can’t vote, the 911-993 is my most favourite version.
RallyMechanic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 22:44   #28
BHPian

Found this interesting photo on reddit sometime ago. Tyre size comparison of a 1970 911 and a 2020 911.
Attached Thumbnails
Porsche 911: Which is your favourite generation?-huo9pbyu4bh41.jpg  

abtyagi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 04:31   #29
BHPian

I have driven all the 911 generations, from the 996 to the 992 (nothing earlier though).
With each successive generation, these become faster, bigger, comfortable & more technologically advanced. And sound (very subjective) - not necessarily becoming better, but there are valid reasons & laws for that.

Faster - no issues - faster & quicker, the better
So even a bare bones car 2 generations later, is faster & more exciting than the turbo version from earlier. But it is not always about the fastest - at least for some.
There are so many cars that do insane speeds, but do not feel as connected to the road or don't give the audio-visual experience as a 911.

I would love a car to become bigger if I was buying a SUV or a family car. But not a sports car such as the 911 - no (for me).

Comfortable - more the better. Except - don't want it to be so comfortable that you feel you are in a luxury sedan rather than a sports car!

Technology - the way it is with Porsche or most European carmakers, they keep themselves at the leading edge of tech. But unfortunately, that means sometimes there are reliability problems that get fixed/improved either in the next gen or a .2 version of the same gen (not always). So, I am a bit scared of buying the absolute latest & the greatest.
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love technology & especially in cars. But in this car I would rather have it 10 years behind the curve. By that time, we know what works & what doesn't work, & avoid the ones that are not as reliable (but always fun ).
The only reason I operate this way is because I do not have infinite Vitamin M. Middle class person with some dreams that I am willing to save & pay for.

The last thing is emission related regulations. With each successive gen, Porsche is forced to make them quieter (no not that each gen is quieter than the earlier), but their hand is forced & will lose a lot in that department over the future. CO2 emissions have their own challenges for them too. Nothing wrong with these laws which are absolutely for the right purpose - just kills a few other things about such cars over a long period. For me that is the quality of sound (& a little bit the loudness too - but not that much).

Having said all of that, my favorite is the 997 & therefore I own & use one too. For me it is the right balance between all the tech that I cannot have lived without vs. keeping it still not on the leading edge. This gen was very reliable too (not the earliest years). Looks good. Still small enough usually & big enough for certain times - if you really want to squeeze in some friends & family :-) Is insanely quick & fast - yes not as much as what you can get today - but that will always be the case. Comfortable enough, more than many other sports cars, but certainly not as much as today's gen. Hydraulic steering, sweet high revving NA engine & that engine howl coupled with a sports exhaust (which is pretty loud too if you want it) - heavenly. And? Lots & lots of buttons everywhere. Its a button lovers paradise. Hehe.
I do like the current 992, because if I have to lose a few things from the 997, then I would not stick to stuff in between.

However, if I had infinite Vitamin M, I would own & use them all. This long note is just nitpicking, because I have to only choose one within my limited means

Last edited by anks_at : 4th December 2020 at 04:37.
anks_at is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 13:44   #30
BHPian

Actually every Carrera becomes a new favourite, there is something so appealing about the Carrera that even a Ferrari or a Lamborghini fail to achieve.

Talking about the best one, it has to be the 996. The first I fell in love with that thing was in the movie “Gone in 60 seconds” when Kip Raines steals it from the showroom and races it with a Honda Civic!
Mat095 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks