Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2007, 14:04   #1
BHPian

Honda shows hardcore S2000 CR concept

Quote:
Honda has unveiled the S2000 CR concept, essentially a last-hurrah for the venerable roadster before production ends and Honda releases a replacement. The latest racer-inspired version, which is described by Honda as “aggressively-tuned,” will go on sale in the second half of the year and is aimed at enthusiasts after a stripped out racer engineered for track use. The factory-tuned roadster provides highly-aggressive suspension settings, increased body and chassis rigidity, overall weight reduction and an aerodynamic body kit dialed-in for reduced lift. An aluminum hardtop replaces the convertible soft top as standard equipment.
Substantial structural bracing has been added to the storage area previously occupied by the soft top, resulting in additional rigidity. The aluminum hard top replaces the soft top of the conventional S2000, resulting in an overall weight savings of approximately 90 pounds when removed (relative to the current S2000).
Air conditioning and an AM/FM Stereo with CD player are optional equipment, proof that Honda was serious about reducing weight.
Motor Authority » Honda shows hardcore S2000 CR concept

Honda S2000 CR Concept - RSportsCars.com
Old 14th April 2007, 14:17   #2
BHPian

The S2000's always looked too 2F2F for me!

Gimme a hardcore exotic anyday!
Old 14th April 2007, 18:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wooooo...wheels look horrid though.
Old 14th April 2007, 20:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

AWESOME!!! Bad choice of colour and wheels though. but for hardcore roadster fun, give me an S800 anyday. made 70 bhp from an 800 cc engine and revved to 9500 rpm in 1965.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 14th April 2007 at 20:04.
Old 15th April 2007, 08:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

So its basically a S2000 with a spoiler and bodykit eh?
Old 12th March 2008, 00:42   #6
BHPian

Maybe this s2000 is a bit too overpriced ...approx 36K+ $ for an underpowered roadster.
for this price it should atleast make 300Bhp.
I like Honda's but I never understood this "niche segment" s2000's pricing.
Old 12th March 2008, 00:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Is it really worth the price? Looks like the 2002 S2000 with a body kit.And an oversized spoiler.
Old 12th March 2008, 00:46   #8
Awaiting Email Confirmation

S2000 should just stay the way it is...its a good play around car and thats it. K-20 engine is perfect though for some high speed fun
Old 12th March 2008, 00:58   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Is it really worth the price? Looks like the 2002 S2000 with a body kit.And an oversized spoiler.
exactly ... whats wrong with Honda ...?
Even the 4 door Civic si with the Mugen "kit" had nothing special.
seems they are aiming for rice boys types..
Even my wife thinks this car is too girly..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxx View Post
S2000 should just stay the way it is...its a good play around car and thats it. K-20 engine is perfect though for some high speed fun
its simple but too expensive .. its just a track day car.
But outside the track I'm sure lots of cars in 35k+segment can kick its *** in style !!
The F series engine makes a lot of power per bhp with its high Rpm but its still only has a very pathetic 237 BHP.
Im a Honda fan but looking at this price tag I'd go for a turbo Bmw 1 series with 300 BHp or a even a 306 bhp 350Z or a second hand STI/EVo and do the mods in that price range.
Even a basic C series sports sedan from merc comes in this price range.

I really dont understand the s2000 and this s2000 CR.

Last edited by chetanhanda : 12th March 2008 at 01:00.
Old 12th March 2008, 01:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

The S2000 (by itself) is a nice car. Pricey,for sure. The MX5 may have less power,but the fun factor is common.
And for something in the upper $30K segment,the Saturn Sky or the Solstice offer pretty good stuff on the top end versions.
As with many other Honda cars,the S2000 hasn't changed in a long long time.
Old 12th March 2008, 02:20   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
its simple but too expensive .. its just a track day car.
But outside the track I'm sure lots of cars in 35k+segment can kick its *** in style !!
HP is not everything. As it is, 237 HP from a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder engine is mighty impressive. Add to that a light weight RWD convertible and it is motoring nirvana. Unfortunately some HP hot heads never understand this simple concept. I never understood why anyone would want more than 200 hp in a every day car? Why would anyone want to go fast in a straight line?
IMO, a Lotus with its 4 cylinder corolla engine making 200+ hp is more venerable than a BMW 335Ci or any American hot rod making 300+ hp. Probably I belong to a minority which prefers handling over horse power. I see that Ananthkumar has similar tastes... 70 hp roadster!
Old 12th March 2008, 02:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
. I never understood why anyone would want more than 200 hp in a every day car? Why would anyone want to go fast in a straight line?
200bhp itself can never be fully utilized. Really no point in having something that needs to be used 99% of the time on a track,rather than on the streets.

Quote:
. I see that Ananthkumar has similar tastes... 70 hp roadster!
That'll be Ananthkamath.
Old 12th March 2008, 02:55   #13
BHPian

talk about a souped up miata .. just more $$ .. i can see a 16 yr old asking his dad if he could "pretty please" get one ...
Old 12th March 2008, 03:35   #14
BHPian

Quote:
HP is not everything. As it is, 237 HP from a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder engine is mighty impressive. Add to that a light weight RWD convertible and it is motoring nirvana.
Dude relax, Its not such a "complex" concept.
Everyone likes a good handling car, Im not a muscle car guy.
I love watching touge with light wt handlers vs bulky hi bhp machines..

Quote:
Unfortunately some HP hot heads never understand this simple concept.
As if u have understood some hidden black art concept on handling etc..
too bad HP hot heads dont get it...

Quote:
I never understood why anyone would want more than 200 hp in a every day car? Why would anyone want to go fast in a straight line?
IMO, a Lotus with its 4 cylinder corolla engine making 200+ hp is more venerable than a BMW 335Ci or any American hot rod making 300+ hp. Probably I belong to a minority which prefers handling over horse power. I see that Ananthkumar has similar tastes... 70 hp roadster!
Right but you see u missed my point..
I mentioned price also whenever I made a point in my previous posts.

Why charge 35K+ for this simplistic 4 cylinder which belongs to a track day niche segement ?

dude also plz read my post I very clearly said "outside of the track" its *** will get kicked in style for this price tag.
Outside of the track on the streets where ppl do most of the driving this "simplistic roadster" will get walked over by some cheaper cars.
Why do u think I said "outside the track" ?
Its good on the track but on freeways, streets and drags this 36K+ roadster will not stand a chance.
Do u get what Im saying ...too bad u didnt get my point or understand my earlier post in the 1st place.. too bad some ppl are ready to give "bhashan" without giving other poor non technical souls like me a second chance...
hmm.. "O enlightened one what is the concept of power to weight ratio and good handling" ? plz explain us ppl its a complex concept.

If i want handling I'll get a lightweight Miata..
My point being ..the s2000 CR @ the given price @ this niche segment.
lets leave the "motoring nirvana" and educated and elite "minority" ka speech at home..

Note from Mod : Please take the time to type out your posts in full words as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid the use of SMS language (wt = weight, hi = high, u = you etc), and please take the time to re-read your post for typos before submitting.

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th March 2008 at 07:24. Reason: Please see note in post.
chetanhanda is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th March 2008, 03:44   #15
BHPian

Quote:
200bhp itself can never be fully utilized. Really no point in having something that needs to be used 99% of the time on a track,rather than on the streets.
U just said 200 bhp cannot be utilised..agreed.
no use of more power ..agreed

So now lets make an ultra light car with 150 BHP SOHC 3 cylinder car and sell it for 40K + $ ...
nice concept ..but do u like the price ? its got our desired features..
thats all..Im trying to say, I didnt like the price tag, do u like the 40K price tag for this ?

Quote:
yep... i can guess ur answer ..

Last edited by chetanhanda : 12th March 2008 at 03:51.

Most Viewed