Old 23rd February 2021, 23:56   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The 5th-gen 2021 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

World premiere video.

Old 24th February 2021, 00:02   #17
Team-BHP Support

Honey, I removed the buttons.

How things have changed. Just watch this video of the C class from 2 generations back.

Jonny the anchor was going gaga about the buttons and the precise feel and the exact 4 newtons of force they need to press as well as the soft plastic coating on them.

2021: What buttons? lol. Just put a massive screen with no tactility, feel or response.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 25th February 2021 at 22:21.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 01:08   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
How things have changed. Just watch this video of the C class from 2 generations back.
Jonny the anchor was going gaga about the buttons and the precise feel and the exact 4 newtons of force they need to press as well as the soft plastic coating on them.
2021: What buttons? lol. Just put a massive screen with no tactility, feel or response.
Ten years ago, I was enjoying the tactile switches of my Nokia mobile and was appreciating the feel of the switches of a Sony Ericsson phone and its metallic finish. Then we moved on to touch screen phones with a home button which later became a touch sensitive panel with haptic feedback and today even that is history on most phones.

Similarly, cars have changed and this trend is going to continue for obvious reasons including ease and cost of manufacturing. Initially I hated this idea but after around two years of using this setup, I no longer miss them buttons. The steering has got complicated over time and thats usually sufficient while the rest of the needs are either automated, or easy to access once you get used to it.

The drive select and one touch button to enable parking cameras are still semi physical buttons. One thing to hate are steering buttons which feel horrible compared to the earlier generations since they are no longer metallic buttons but a plastic panel which is one piece per side and the actual button pressed is recognized by the position of the finger since its capacitive.

If this reduction in the number of buttons is bad, wait till you experience the latest Golf/Passat. I had a tough time with it.
audioholic is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 01:24   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Ten years ago, I was enjoying the tactile switches of my Nokia mobile and was appreciating the feel of the switches of a Sony Ericsson phone and its metallic finish. Then we moved on to touch screen phones with a home button which later became a touch sensitive panel with haptic feedback and today even that is history on most phones.
I agree but a mobile is at max 1 lakh rupees not upwards of 50L. And that's the point I was saying. A car is no longer a car but a large mobile touch screen that also takes you from A to B. It has become a gadget.

Secondly, when you use a mobile screen you are focusing on the mobile. In a car you are focusing on driving and have to use the screen while focusing on the road. In 1 year of using my touchscreen on Skoda, I haven't gotten used to controlling it while driving.

Quote:
The drive select and one touch button to enable parking cameras are still semi physical buttons. One thing to hate are steering buttons which feel horrible compared to the earlier generations since they are no longer metallic buttons but a plastic panel which is one piece per side and the actual button pressed is recognized by the position of the finger since its capacitive.

If this reduction in the number of buttons is bad, wait till you experience the latest Golf/Passat. I had a tough time with it.
Yes I read the Golf reviews criticizing the touch screen only controls.

I have been telling people to buy good cars now before they go all digital. I hate the virtual dials, large screen, no AC and audio controls in new age cars. The cars are losing the personality with 2-3 huge screens inside.

These are cheaper than traditional analog controls and all the development is in software not in the 4N needed to perfectly press a button.

More over these screens are the fastest to get outdated in a car you keep for 10 years.

On top of that rear wheel steering, hybrid power trains and a 4 cylinder C63 AMG. lol.

I know what I am getting in place of my dad's corolla in 1-2 years. A god used C200 petrol current gen to keep till these gadgets take over our roads.

Sad part is being in the semiconductor industry I am contributing to this digitization. lol.
Vid6639 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 06:38   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In a car you are focusing on driving and have to use the screen while focusing on the road. In 1 year of using my touchscreen on Skoda, I haven't gotten used to controlling it while driving.
Completely agree. I find myself sometimes searching for the Repeat option or even switching across apps on the touchscreen, whereas the rotary knob to adjust the volume on the new headunit I installed feels just right! Touchscreen has a purpose, and completely doing away with buttons in favour of the touch option on cars is not the best from a design perspective, IMHO.

Even on an iPhone I find it hard to unlock the screen in the dark using FaceID, as opposed to the fingerprint recognition.
benbsb29 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 06:45   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Presenter with black turtle neck t-shirt on a stage - Check.
Big touch screen on the car - Check.

Someone at the Mercedes HQ: Nailed it folks. We've got the full attention of our audience which is the iPhone+Tesla generation.

Jokes apart, the real changes are indeed commendable. The new C class is loaded with technology and is indeed a great entry level luxury car in the developed markets.
kiku007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 09:31   #22
Team-BHP Support

Re: The 5th-gen 2021 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

Externally, what's new?

Front looks like a startled version of the previous version. Rear is an improvement but how do you figure whether it is an C,E or S. The side profile seems to be very similar.

Blame emissions regulations on the 4 pot AMG. France has strangled the hot hatch. You need to get used to piped music. Guess it might be a little more fun that 20 years on when its all electric.

Maybe it might be a lot better to see in the metal. As for the AMG, it might be ok, what is lost in the loss of the 8 pot will be gained in better handling and steering. However, the M3 will probably win more hearts

Note, no one exactly complains about A45
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 09:33   #23
BHPian

MB should bring this is the long wheel base form with softer suspension than the current one, it could seriously do well and maybe even match the numbers of e class lwb.
Turbolove is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 10:00   #24

The new C-Class has a similar interior layout as the new S class recently unveiled (the iPad looking centre console). But, the new E-Class has the flat horizontal double screen that looks like a widescreen display on the dashboard - which is similar to the A Class (and other relatively newer models like the GLE, GLS etc).

Is there any reason for this? Why would different models have an entirely different centre console while all being part of the next generation?
PontiacBandit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 10:07   #25
BANNED

W204 was one of the best looking c-class..
Shabz47 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 11:04   #26
BHPian

Quote:

Secondly, when you use a mobile screen you are focusing on the mobile. In a car you are focusing on driving and have to use the screen while focusing on the road. In 1 year of using my touchscreen on Skoda, I haven't gotten used to controlling it while driving.
Couldn't agree more. Let me put forward a use case for physical buttons that actively makes my drive safer:

When it rains and I need to use the window defogger/blower, I rarely get it right the first time, either due to velocity of air flow or temperature. I tend to adjust these on the fly since I know where the knobs and buttons are on my HVAC, allowing ME TO SEE where I'm going

I cannot for the life of me fathom why auto manufacturers are leaning towards digitizing basic functions just to appear modern, when the truth is these screens/displays/interfaces will get outdated within the decade and age TERRIBLY. Just try using a phone from 5 years ago
Nitronium is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 11:16   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh View Post
That a Mercedes or a BMW?
So I am not the only one. I was sheepishly reading the comments above yours and was thinking the same.

The front is too BMW-eque too my eyes. It is not a bad thing, but missing something which is unique to a Merc.

The rear lamps and their integration are too sharp and resemble the Koreans/Japs. I like the current lights better.
model-t is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 11:57   #28
BHPian

No offense to anyone but it looks like Merc took inspiration from BMW for front and rims, Hyundai for rear. Inside looks a lift off from Tesla with humongous screen.
CarBot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 12:20   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacBandit View Post
Is there any reason for this? Why would different models have an entirely different centre console while all being part of the next generation?
The E-Class facelift was a minor face-lift for the existing W213. Hence it still has to continue with double screen layout as before. The new central console debuted in the S-Class since that's the flagship and lead car for all major changes and then will now trickle down to other models as and when there is a version change or Bauhreihe change as it is termed. The C class is a change from 205 to 206 and this is a new platform.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 12:25   #30
BHPian

Quote:
I agree but a mobile is at max 1 lakh rupees not upwards of 50L. And that's the point I was saying. A car is no longer a car but a large mobile touch screen that also takes you from A to B. It has become a gadget.

I have been telling people to buy good cars now before they go all digital. I hate the virtual dials, large screen, no AC and audio controls in new age cars. The cars are losing the personality with 2-3 huge screens inside.
Totally agree on the above points.

It is a struggle to control volume, mute , ac adjustments in the touch forms. These functions are done whilst driving by most and it is annoying as well as dangerous to find these on screen while driving. I know they are present on the steering as well but yet. The good old knobs for such functions didn't need any digitisation honestly.

I am fully appreciative of the modernisation of the engines, suspensions, transmissions etc. but I pray that at-least the driving and control of a car is retained by the driver. Sadly guess nobody is listening to these prayers

I see how my kid pretend plays with her toys, the same will be for our cars in the near future. We will just think that we are driving..

As for the design of the new C class and the other line up's of Mercedes, I think they look gorgeous though. Merc's are really upping the game and their upgrades to their predecessors are definitely more substantial than what their competition( MAINLY BMW, AUDI ) do.

Last edited by SN88 : 24th February 2021 at 12:32. Reason: more inputs
SN88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks