Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2007, 21:57   #1
BHPian

2008 Corvette: New 436hp 6.2L LS3 Engine

Engine

A new, 6.2L LS3 small-block V-8 is the standard engine in Coupe and Convertible models. It is rated at 430 horsepower (321 kW)* and 424 lb.-ft. of torque (586 Nm)* with the standard exhaust system; with the new, optional two-mode exhaust system, power ratings increase to 436 horses / 325 kW and 428 lb.-ft. / 592 Nm. As a result, the standard Corvette is true supercar, capable of 190 mph. The LS3 with the six-speed paddle-shift automatic is the fastest automatic-equipped Corvette ever, with 0-60 mph capability of 4.3 seconds.
This new iteration of the storied small-block family features a revised, larger-bore cylinder block – 4.06-inch / 103.25 mm vs. the previous 6.0L’s 4.00-inch / 101.62 mm bores – high-flow, LS7/L92-style cylinder heads; larger-diameter pistons; revised camshaft and camshaft timing; revised valvetrain with offset intake rocker arms; high-flow intake manifold; high-flow fuel injectors from the Z06’s LS7 engine; and a new engine beauty cover.
The LS3 features an aluminum cylinder block with cast iron cylinder liners. In addition to its larger bores, which help create a 376-cubic-inch displacement, the block casting also features revisions and machining in the bulkheads that enhance its strength and improved bay to bay breathing. But while the bore of the 6.2L engine is increased when compared with the previous 6.0L engine, the engine’s stroke remains at 3.62 inches (92 mm). The pistons for the larger 6.2L engine also are new and are designed for its high-rpm performance capability.
Breathing for the new 6.2L engine is accomplished via new, high-flow cylinder heads. They’re based on the large port/large valve design found on the LS7 engine and other GM L92 engines, with larger-capacity, straighter intake ports. The design optimizes intake flow to the combustion chamber and the exhaust ports are also designed for better flow.
Complementing the larger-port design of the heads are commensurately sized valves. The intake valve size alone increases from 2.00 inches (50.8 mm) to 2.16 inches (55 mm) – an increase of nearly 9 percent. The intake valves feature lightweight hollow stems, which enable the engine’s 6,600-rpm capability. The exhaust valves also are large, measuring 1.60 inches (40.4 mm) in diameter.
To accommodate the engine’s large valves and enable more direct intake port flow, the intake-side rocker arms are offset 6 mm between the valve tip and the push rod. Actuating the valves is a new camshaft, with intake-side lobes providing more than a 5-percent percent in increase in lift, from 0.521-inch to 0.551-inch (13.25 mm to 14 mm). Exhaust-valve lift remains unchanged from the LS2. The camshaft timing was revised to optimize performance with the higher-lift intake cam profile.
Ensuring the cylinder heads receive all the air they can handles falls to a new, acoustically tuned intake manifold. The composite design is manufactured with a “lost core” process that improves runner to runner variation and reduces airflow losses. An acoustic foam material is used to reduce radiated engine noise; it is sandwiched between the outer top of the manifold and an additional “skull cap” acoustic shell. Also new beauty covers atop the engine shield the rocker covers and also feature a noise-reducing, acoustically tuned insert to provide a more refined engine sound.
Exhaust system – Optional on ’08 Coupe and Convertible models is a new, two-mode performance exhaust system. Similar in design and function to the system used on the Z06, the dual-mode exhaust uses vacuum-actuated outlet valves, which control engine noise during low-load operation, but open for maximum performance during high-load operation. It is not identical to the Z06 system; the Coupe/Convertible uses a 2.5-inch-diameter exhaust, while the Z06 uses a three-inch system.
With the new, dual-mode performance exhaust, power output for Coupe/Convertible rises from 430 horsepower (321 kW) and 424 lb.-ft. of torque (575 Nm) to 436 horses (325 kW) and 428 lb.-ft. (580 Nm). This system gives the Corvette a more aggressive exhaust sound character that will appeal to performance enthusiasts.
Transmissions and axle ratios – The shifting efforts for both the six-speed manual transmission and paddle-shift six-speed automatic transmissions have been improved in ’08 Corvette models. The manual transmission shifting improvements include a more positive and direct feel during gear changes, with better gate-to-gate location.
The six-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission on Coupe and Convertible is improved with new hardware and a new controller calibration that deliver quicker shifts. This change bolsters the feeling of performance and driver control when using the shifting paddles.
Also new for ’08 models is the availability of the 2.73 performance axle ratio with the automatic transmission. It is included with the Z51 package.
Steering system – The Corvette’s precise rack-and-pinion steering system is revised to provide improved feel at all speeds. The revisions are due to a new, premium machining process of the system’s internal components, a new, stiffer intermediate shaft and controller calibration changes.
Wheels – Corvette Coupe and Convertible models come with a new split-spoke wheel design for ’08. The design was introduced on the limited-edition ’07 Indianapolis 500 Pace Car replicas with a Sterling Silver finish. The standard 18-inch front wheels and 19-inch rear wheels feature a Sparkle Silver finish, with a Competition Gray version optional.
Also new is a distinctive, performance-oriented forged aluminum wheel for Coupe and Convertible. It comes in a polished finish.

2008 Corvette: New 436hp 6.2L LS3 Engine

Old 27th April 2007, 22:14   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice to see the American icon not too worried abt dwindling petrol reserves I like it
Old 28th April 2007, 00:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

its key features are:

1. New and more powerful Engine
2. Better 2-tone leather clad interiors for the dash with different available center console options(black piano look etc)
3. Z06 style butterfly exhaust
4. Newly refined Transmission
5. Newly refined(finely made) steering rack providing better feel
6. 0-60 time for the Auto reduced by .2 sec, so manual will be quicker as well.
7. Ipod connectivity
8. New wheel designs
9. Still no Gas guzzler tax

I think this is pretty much it..

Pretty nice, atleast shows that the General is listening to all the complaints from the customers and working on them, I am sure the newer C7 that will come in 2010 will feature far superior interior and build quality making it compete with the big dogs without any complaints and still be 1/2 the price..

Anyhow this is good to know, may be its time for me to switch , I will wait for the 2009 i think when they should up the power on the Z06 and introduce the SS/Z07..

hmm...corvette team continues to outdo themselves..good for them(and us corvette folks)

Last edited by 1Day : 28th April 2007 at 00:12.
Old 28th April 2007, 00:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
Engine
A new, 6.2L LS3 small-block V-8 is the standard engine in Coupe and Convertible models. It is rated at 430 horsepower (321 kW)* and 424 lb.-ft. of torque (586 Nm)* with the standard exhaust system; with the new, optional two-mode exhaust system, power ratings increase to 436 horses / 325 kW and 428 lb.-ft. / 592 Nm.

Hey Pawan, are the specs mentioned at the wheels or at the crank ?
so how much does this massive 6200 cc V8 engine make at the wheels actually ?
Old 28th April 2007, 00:49   #5
BHPian

I Wonder how with all this cubic capacity they come up with ONLY 463 horsepower??? Rather...I WONDER WHY? Definitely got tonnes of torque but why no HP?
Old 28th April 2007, 04:55   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Nice to see the American icon not too worried abt dwindling petrol reserves I like it
you know, the vette gets decent highway mileage. the old one got 30mpg i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
Pretty nice, atleast shows that the General is listening to all the complaints from the customers and working on them, I am sure the newer C7 that will come in 2010 will feature far superior interior and build quality making it compete with the big dogs without any complaints and still be 1/2 the price.
for the kind of power it offers and it's price. this is acceptable, but seeing what GM did with the interior of the new CTS i feel they could have done better.

Last edited by heelntoe : 28th April 2007 at 04:58.
Old 28th April 2007, 09:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
Hey Pawan, are the specs mentioned at the wheels or at the crank ?
so how much does this massive 6200 cc V8 engine make at the wheels actually ?
most likely its at the wheels but not sure about that.
Old 28th April 2007, 09:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelntoe View Post
you know, the vette gets decent highway mileage. the old one got 30mpg i think.

for the kind of power it offers and it's price. this is acceptable, but seeing what GM did with the interior of the new CTS i feel they could have done better.
They could have and i guess come C7 the interiors should really become nicer and better designed...

GM is learning and i can only applaud their efforts to make a mediocre design interior to this snazzy level..

i cant wait for the C7..
Old 28th April 2007, 09:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
most likely its at the wheels but not sure about that.
no way...thats @ the crank, HP numbers are never mentioned at the wheels, always at the crank..

436 will mean it will make about 366whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze View Post
I Wonder how with all this cubic capacity they come up with ONLY 463 horsepower??? Rather...I WONDER WHY? Definitely got tonnes of torque but why no HP?
You are not serious right..whats with people and cubic inches vs hp levels, it makes me wonder..

Who cares what the medium was as long as the end result is neck breaking..and thats what this machine does better than any in its class..isnt that what matters??

And just imagine the capability it leaves the modders with..just insane

But getting 436 hp probably 0-60 in 4.0 and still getting about 25-30 mpg on the high is just plain cool..dont know of ny other machine that does that...oh wait i know a C6Z06

Last edited by 1Day : 28th April 2007 at 10:03.
Old 28th April 2007, 10:31   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But getting 436 hp probably 0-60 in 4.0 and still getting about 25-30 mpg on the high is just plain cool..dont know of ny other machine that does that...oh wait i know a C6Z06
I heard from the "Vette gang that the Corvette is also the most compliant sports car for the highway? Good comfort, low noise levels and superb MPG.

I dont know if a sports car can be called that, but the Vette is one value-for-money machine.
Old 28th April 2007, 15:56   #11
BHPian

Quote:
no way...thats @ the crank, HP numbers are never mentioned at the wheels, always at the crank..
HP at the crank is of no use, its the whp that matters the most, how much the engine can effectively provide at the wheels after all the losses.
I really hope manufacturers quoted the approx realistic whp etc, I guess they leave it to the people to dyno and find out the real stuff.

Quote:
436 will mean it will make about 366whp
ok..

Last edited by chetanhanda : 28th April 2007 at 15:58.
Old 28th April 2007, 16:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I dont know if a sports car can be called that, but the Vette is one value-for-money machine.

Amen! Test Drove a Z-6 a couple of weeks back - one that had some extensive mods and a claimed 450 whp. Total cost after mods was allegedly = M3 or RS4, and boy what a ride and a half!

There's discounts + free insurance + 3 year 50k kms service plans on the LS2 'vette now - guess they're bringing in the LS3.
Old 28th April 2007, 20:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
HP at the crank is of no use, its the whp that matters the most, how much the engine can effectively provide at the wheels after all the losses.
I really hope manufacturers quoted the approx realistic whp etc, I guess they leave it to the people to dyno and find out the real stuff.

ok..
Its a simple calculations for most of the cars, some break the norm more than the others in either direction..whp will never be too much off the approx calculations..

usually its about 13-17% loss from the drive train for a 2WD car and about 22-20% for an AWD. Some cars that i know off that break this norm are the C6Z06, Ford GT and Viper, may be its because the HP estimates/claims made by the manufacturers are under-rated, but that has been proved wrong in the case of a Z06 because they are SAE corrected. So in Z06 case i know the loss is more like 8-11%.

So to go back to my point again, no manufacturer ever says what the wheel HP is but you can easily approximate within a margin of acceptable error, plus the crank HP is not pulled out from the behind, it is calculated by deriving the drive train loss so most of the time it means almost as much(hear acceptable margin or error)

Last edited by 1Day : 28th April 2007 at 20:28.
Old 29th April 2007, 11:04   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Its a simple calculations for most of the cars, some break the norm more than the others in either direction..whp will never be too much off the approx calculations..

usually its about 13-17% loss from the drive train for a 2WD car and about 22-20% for an AWD. Some cars that i know off that break this norm are the C6Z06, Ford GT and Viper, may be its because the HP estimates/claims made by the manufacturers are under-rated, but that has been proved wrong in the case of a Z06 because they are SAE corrected. So in Z06 case i know the loss is more like 8-11%.

So to go back to my point again, no manufacturer ever says what the wheel HP is but you can easily approximate within a margin of acceptable error, plus the crank HP is not pulled out from the behind, it is calculated by deriving the drive train loss so most of the time it means almost as much(hear acceptable margin or error)
ya .. agreed, we need to figure out ourselves..
and the crank horsepower sounds much more nicer for the marketting people and the ads..
Old 29th April 2007, 12:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I heard from the "Vette gang that the Corvette is also the most compliant sports car for the highway?
They would say that, wouldn't they?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks