Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2008, 11:55   #31
Senior - BHPian

I dont understand why they have to have a Infiniti version of the GT-R. Its not like the skyline needs a better badge for a more upmarket image or anything, I dont know how much potential buyers (in this category especially) will appreciate the better badge.

The sedan part may make some sense though as the car can also double up as a daily driver and can drop the kids off to school before heading out to the tracks.

Last edited by khanak : 12th February 2008 at 12:01.
Old 12th February 2008, 15:41   #32
Senior - BHPian

its asthough the engine is great.. instead of putting in effort to take up the brand equity of the Skyline, lets plonk the engine into to an upmarket brand! It might work.
Considering its going to compete against some powerful sedans.
Old 12th February 2008, 22:06   #33
Senior - BHPian

Whats the whole point? Make a more powerful sedan? Add another car to the stable of G37s and M45s?
Old 12th February 2008, 22:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

Infinity G35 was a skyline based product. Makes perfect sense to bring the R35 in too, people who know, will always know that it is the skyline even without any badge saying so.

Same as people know where the Honda Legend and Integra are.

Last edited by 1100D : 12th February 2008 at 22:39.
Old 12th February 2008, 23:00   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
I dont understand why they have to have a Infiniti version of the GT-R. Its not like the skyline needs a better badge for a more upmarket image or anything, I dont know how much potential buyers (in this category especially) will appreciate the better badge.

The sedan part may make some sense though as the car can also double up as a daily driver and can drop the kids off to school before heading out to the tracks.
yes khanak thats how its going to be like brabus e class, bmw m5 etc etc

looks good doesnt it?
Old 16th February 2008, 08:48   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Whats the whole point? Make a more powerful sedan? Add another car to the stable of G37s and M45s?
The point is Infiniti is almost an all out premium luxury brand like BMW and Mercedes. So far the G37 = 3 series/c class. M45 = 5 series/e class.

They've decided the next step for the brand to progress is by creating a direct competitor to the CLS, M5s, E55s, and what not. Maybe down the road they'll also create a competitor to the 7 series and s class. Sure cant wait - exciting times ahead at Infiniti/Nissan.
Old 1st July 2008, 21:50   #37
BHPian

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd revive this one only.

Apparently New York Times thinks that Nissan is lying about the GT-R's horsepower figure of 480 bhp. Just came across this link on NYT.

How Much Power Does the Nissan GT-R Really Have? - Wheels - Autos - New York Times Blog

Also Nissan apparently refused to test their GT-R on the official SAE dyno whereas its competitors tested theirs (Corvette, CTS-V, 911 etc.). Hence their horsepower figures are not SAE certified.

Last edited by sujaylahiri : 1st July 2008 at 21:53.
Old 1st July 2008, 22:33   #38
BHPian

They should've stuck to the Infinity name. :@
Old 2nd July 2008, 09:49   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
They should've stuck to the Infinity name. :@
for which car you talking about? The first picture was for an Infiniti G37 but if you talking about GT-R i agree, I would have loved to deal with my current inifiniti dealer instead of some sorryass nissan stealer..
Old 2nd July 2008, 10:06   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
Apparently New York Times thinks that Nissan is lying about the GT-R's horsepower figure of 480 bhp. Just came across this link on NYT.
Except that, unlike korean horses, the GTR may actually have MORE than Nissan's claimed figures. So net net, no customer will be complaining

I am sure some GTR owners have already dyno'ed their beasts? What are those numbers looking like?
Old 2nd July 2008, 10:32   #41
BHPian

Oh yes, someone already did that. Edmunds.com put the first unofficial GT-R import in US on a futuristic dyno (whatever that means) and this is what they have to say

Quote:
Despite our problems, the two good runs on the Dynapack verify our testing with the Mustang dyno. According to the Dynapack, the output of the Nissan GT-R's V6 peaks at 452 hp at 6,350 rpm and 448 lb-ft of torque at 3,865 rpm.
Old 2nd July 2008, 21:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
Oh yes, someone already did that. Edmunds.com put the first unofficial GT-R import in US on a futuristic dyno (whatever that means) and this is what they have to say
are you serious and mustang dynos are conservative so if the car is making 452 awd that is freaking crazy..I thought people said it makes around 430 and there is a 10% loss claimed by nissan..
Old 2nd July 2008, 23:51   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Except that, unlike korean horses, the GTR may actually have MORE than Nissan's claimed figures. So net net, no customer will be complaining

I am sure some GTR owners have already dyno'ed their beasts? What are those numbers looking like?
I'll have to dig around the internet for the actual links, but on the top of my head I remember somewhere above 500 bhp claimed by some websites.

The reason Nissan might have under-quoted the bhp numbers is for emissions and insurance reasons.

I also don't think they are following the Gentleman's Agreement in Japan over the horsepower figures, but I do believe that more than 500 bhp is usually frowned upon in Japan.
Old 3rd July 2008, 00:46   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
I also don't think they are following the Gentleman's Agreement in Japan over the horsepower figures, but I do believe that more than 500 bhp is usually frowned upon in Japan.
The Gentleman's agreement was for 276 bhp/280 ps and that is why for so many years the EVO/STI and even the R32/33/34 Skyline's never quoted more than those figures (apart from the UK where they had bigger powered versions). Now Nissan has become the first to publically break the agreement.

Most Viewed