Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2021, 11:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

New Hyundai Kona N global unveil on 27 April

Hyundai has announced that the Kona N SUV will be unveiled on April 27, 2021. The unveiling will be part of the company’s first-ever ‘Hyundai N Day’ – a digital showcase for its N brand models.

New Hyundai Kona N global unveil on 27 April-1_kona_n__frontupdated_with_name_re.jpg

Once unveiled, the new Kona will become the brand’s first-ever SUV to be part of the high-performance N line-up.

New Hyundai Kona N global unveil on 27 April-4_kona_n__stop_lamp_teaser_image.jpg

The Kona N SUV features a larger front grille with the 'N' logo, redesigned set of split LED headlamps, triangular tail lights, larger dual exhaust pipes and a diffuser on the rear bumper. The SUV also features red accents all over.

New Hyundai Kona N global unveil on 27 April-5_kona_n_grille__teaser_image.jpg

Hyundai is yet to reveal the car's engine and transmission options.

New Hyundai Kona N global unveil on 27 April-3_kona_n4rearaupdated_with_name_re.jpg

The Hyundai Kona N will be unveiled by Albert Biemann, President and Head of R&D, Hyundai Motor Group. Also present will be Thomas Schemera, Executive VP & Head of Customer Experience, Hyundai Motor Group, who will further explain the future of the high-performance N brand.

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 16:19   #2
BHPian

Re: New Hyundai Kona N global unveil on 27 April

Who is doing the Market Research on these things. I don't think anybody was asking for a performance version of the Kona Cross-over, unless Hyundai is planning to enter it in some competition and these are some sort of Homologation units. It was already a love it or hate it kind of design. They are just going to make it look more absurd.
Old 18th April 2021, 10:39   #3

Coming from Hyundai, which has tried to capture the right consumer behavior in India with its products and making Maruti sweat, certain moves continue to surprise me.

They must work on increasing driving range, making Electric cars more affordable, etc.

This move only makes sense if they plan to keep themselves on the top of the consideration set thanks to Tesla's announcement and Hyundai having no major plans for India on a better Electric Cars lineup.
Old 18th April 2021, 10:54   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Who is doing the Market Research on these things. I don't think anybody was asking for a performance version of the Kona Cross-over, unless Hyundai is planning to enter it in some competition and these are some sort of Homologation units. It was already a love it or hate it kind of design. They are just going to make it look more absurd.
This is international news, not India specific. And there is no doubt that performance is what made EVs cool! Looks like Hyundai wants some of that action now.

Kia recently showcased their EV6 against established petrol powered supercars. Sister brand Hyundai will be planning something similar - to kickstart the 'N' EV image.

Old 18th April 2021, 13:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
This is international news, not India specific. And there is no doubt that performance is what made EVs cool! Looks like Hyundai wants some of that action now.

Kia recently showcased their EV6 against established petrol powered supercars. Sister brand Hyundai will be planning something similar - to kickstart the 'N' EV image.
I understand how performance (esp. instant torque and super acceleration) transformed the EV category image from boring to awesome supercar beating machines for the masses.

But the Kona N is not an EV! Its an ICE car.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2022-h...ission-434450/

I guess company's like Hyundai won't release models like these without a proper business case (unless as I said they are planning to enter this in some competition).

Its just that the combo is weird. They are trying to make a hot cross-over. maybe to capture the buyers who doesn't have enough Vitamin M for all the Super-SUVs rolling around?
ZenMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 14:02   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But the Kona N is not an EV! Its an ICE car.
Yikes! My bad.

Guess I read too much between the lines of our Kona EV and the recent Kia GT6 unveil.

Quote:
They are trying to make a hot cross-over. maybe to capture the buyers who doesn't have enough Vitamin M for all the Super-SUVs rolling around?
Crossovers and SUVs = sales.

That's the mantra worldwide and once again, everyone wants in! Even Ford slapped their famous ST badged on a Puma crossover recently.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th April 2021 at 14:08.
Old 27th April 2021, 14:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

2021 Hyundai Kona N officially revealed

The Kona crossover has become the fifth Hyundai to gain an N-badged performance variant, after the i20, i30, i30 Fastback and Veloster hatchbacks

New Hyundai Kona N global unveil on 27 April-2022hyundaikonan12.jpg

New Kona N has set to become the first N crossover, the model promises to provide a “winning combination of versatility, spirited acceleration, agility and racetrack readiness.”

New Hyundai Kona N global unveil on 27 April-2022hyundaikonan4.jpg