Team-BHP - SFO petrol tanker fire melts highway
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   SFO petrol tanker fire melts highway (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/23599-sfo-petrol-tanker-fire-melts-highway.html)

OAKLAND, Calif. - A petrol tanker truck with 32,500 litres of petrol crashed into a pylon and burst into flames near the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge on Sunday morning at 3:45 am. The truck's 51-year old driver escaped with his life and with second-degree burns on his hands, arms and face.

The intense heat (1,510 degrees Celsius 200 ft. flames) melted the stretch of highway above which collapsed.
Steel beams holding up the interchange from eastbound I-80 to eastbound Interstate 580 buckled.
Bolts holding the structure together melted and the interchange collapsed.
Cost of repairs would likely run into the tens of millions of dollars.

Transportation officials added trains to the Bay Area Rapid Transit rail system. California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger authorized funding for free-of-charge use of ferries, buses and the rail system on Mon. 30th April 2007.

interesting.....the same reason why the WTC collapsed....the high temperature melted the steel beam....

Could have been worse... glad no lives were lost. What may be interesting to see is how fast everything (including fixing the bridge or an alternative) will be put back in place.

Off topic... a simple railway flyover in my city has been taking ages to build...

Whoa! Thats one mega knock-on result. Will the trucking company be fined in part or whole?

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMAG (Post 425649)
Whoa! Thats one mega knock-on result. Will the trucking company be fined in part or whole?

It will be the insurance company that is taking the Hit now, but eventually it come back to bite the Trucking company over the increased premiums.

Actually according to reports the truck was overspeeding. So I guess the truck company will face higher premium, but apart from that I doubt there will be much to pay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 425735)
Actually according to reports the truck was overspeeding. So I guess the truck company will face higher premium, but apart from that I doubt there will be much to pay.

AFAIK, in the USA, mere allegations albeit by the police is not enough to swing the insurance premia.

There has to be irrefutable scientific proof, the onus of proof is on the prosecution side and they are very rigorous about, "innocent until proven guilty". Local politics, the press and public emotion can't hijack due process of law, unlike in the third world.

On 3rd Dec 1984, in the mother of all industrial disasters, gross negligence of Union Carbide Bhopal, failed to contain 43 tons of methyl isocyanate from leaking out of their carbaryl insecticide plant, taking 20,000 lives and injuring 2,00,000 others. Sadly we have failed to close the book on this till date.

Well in the USA if you meet with an accident which results in your claiming insurance(unless you are rear ended) expect your premium to be higher the next year.

Assuming an average economy of 12.3 km/litre, with the 32,500 litres of wasted petrol, you could theoretically drive 10 times around the world.
Equatorial radius being approx 40,070 km.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ram (Post 425813)
Local politics, the press and public emotion can't hijack due process of law, unlike in the third world.

Someone tell OJ Simpson that!

I always suspected, someone would remember one isolated instance and make an issue out of it.

One that we know about. I'm sure there are others. There are bad apples everywhere, just so happens that more of them fall off the tree here! But overall, I am in agreement with you on that part.

:Shockked: It melt? Wow! Thats the stretch I used to take every weekend to go to south bay (saves 2 dollars if I bypass Golden Gate :D)

the image on the left looks photoshopped???
found some links
‘Jaw-dropper’ may cause months of grief - Examiner.com

and a video
Collapse: Video, photos, alternate routes - Examiner.com

its a very busy road, expect some detours and longer commute

3.45 am ? Maybe the driver fell asleep.