2021 World Car of the Year : Volkswagen I.D 4

2021 World Car of the Year : Volkswagen I.D 4-vehicle_1462.jpg

2021 World Car of the Year : Volkswagen I.D 4-1.jpg

2021 World Car of the Year : Volkswagen I.D 4-2.jpg

World Luxury car : Mercedes Benz S Class

World Performance car: Porsche 911 Turbo

World Urban car: Honda e

World car design of the year: Land Rover Defender

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th April 2021 at 22:06.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 18:16   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2021 World Car of the Year : Volkswagen I.D 4

2021 World Car of the Year : Volkswagen I.D 4 - Post moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 18:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

2021 World Car Awards winners list; VW ID.4 takes top honours

The 2021 World Car Awards have been announced. The awards consist of various categories for car design, luxury, performance and Urban cars along with the most prestigious world car of the year as well.

Vehicles eligible for the World Car of the year awards must have a production of over 10,000 units per year and should be on sale in at least two continents. The vehicles are judged on various factors and scored by over 93 international jurors.

2021 World Car of the Year : Volkswagen I.D 4-worldcar2021.jpg

This year, the Volkswagen ID.4 has won the World Car of the year award. The electric SUV beat the likes of the Honda e and the Toyota GR Yaris to take the top honours. The Volkswagen ID.4 is the brand's first-ever fully electric SUV and is based on the new Modular Electric Drive Matrix (MEB) platform. The car is currently on sale in Europe, China and the US markets.

2021 World Car of the Year : Volkswagen I.D 4-worldcardesign2021.jpg

The Land Rover Defender won the World Car Design of the year. The latest generation of the iconic SUV is offered in two variants (90 & 110) and is also on sale in the Indian market. The Defender came out on top in the final round, which included the Honda e and the Mazda MX-30.

2021 World Car of the Year : Volkswagen I.D 4-worldurbancar2021.jpg

The Honda e won the World Urban Car of the year. The small quirky electric hatchback from Honda took on the Toyota GR Yaris and the Honda Jazz in the final round.

2021 World Car of the Year : Volkswagen I.D 4-worldluxurycar2021.jpg

The 2021 Mercedes-Benz S-Class won the World Luxury Car of the year. The latest iteration of the S-Class secured the highest score in the final round, beating contenders such as the Land Rover Defender and the Polestar 2.

Finally, the Porsche 911 Turbo took home the 2021 World Performance Car of the year award. The Porsche 911 Turbo faced stiff competition from the Toyota GR Yaris and the Audi RS Q8 in the final round.

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 20:13   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
This year, the Volkswagen ID.4 has won the World Car of the year award.
I wonder why!

The only real review I watched on the ID.4 is from Matt Watson, and it seemed like a pretty average car without any real standout features.

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 20:19   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the credibility of these awards? Do they really mean anything or carry any serious clout for advertising? How much are the sponsored by the car conglomerates? Are they like silly Indian auto awards?
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 10:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Compare Honda e's scores under 'World Car of the Year' with that to the same car under 'World Urban Car'. I wonder why the scores are different especially for categories like Occupant Environment, Performance, Safety and Value. How can they be different for the same car? I don't get it!
Old 22nd April 2021, 11:49   #7
BHPian

I am surprised at this. Like CD explained earlier. Nobody had anything worthwhile to mention about this car.

Jason from engineering usually gives the manufacturers a bit of leeway. But he also expressed his disappointment on this car and its charging network.(Rather the complex interface that VW followed for the charging network)

Old 22nd April 2021, 19:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

I guess it helped that the ID.4 is a BEV (flavour of the season) and a SUV/CUV (popular bodystyle). In that sense, the true competition would've been the Mustang Mach-E, but it is somehow missing from the candidate list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I wonder why!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
I am surprised at this. Like CD explained earlier. Nobody had anything worthwhile to mention about this car.
Although this car doesn't have any standout features, I think even Mat Watson's and Jason's reviews and various others bring out some aspects of the ID.4 that people consider important in a family car (that happens to be electric):

- Spacious interior
- Good cargo capacity (even without the frunk)
- Decent ride
- Low NVH
- Good equipment levels
- Pricing (comparable to competitors)
- Good highway range
- Good charging speed

Two issues highlighted in almost every review are quality of the interior and clumsy infotainment.

But I guess the Skoda Enyaq or Audi Q4 e-tron would have won the award if they were already on sale. They are similarly priced, have all the same good qualities of the ID.4 due to the MEB platform and will offer better interior quality. Or the Ioniq 5/EV6. I don't know what timeframe is considered for the awards, but I think all of these cars will be contenders for next year's awards.

Last edited by StarrySky : 22nd April 2021 at 19:35.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 03:56   #9
BHPian

I checked out both the ID3 & ID4 in the VW showroom. Compared to ID3, ID4 looks big & butch, offers more interior space and comparatively better interior quality. However, the attention to detail and perfection are no way near to Golf.

From online reviews, it seems to be a better overall package in terms of efficiency, road noise, boot capacity, rear seat space, driving dynamics, etc.

Following things are really big disappointment:
  • Gloss black in many touch points including rear door handles
  • Touch buttons for steering wheel controls
  • Rear window controls on driver door replaced with a touch toggle button
  • No battery percentage display on the instrument cluster
  • Volume & Temperature sliders instead of knobs/switches
  • Crappy voice control
  • Missing attention to detail and perfection seen in other VW cars

I think both ID3 & ID4 are built to cost and I hope VW will change its direction back to its core strengths in the upcoming BEV models.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks