Team-BHP - Most popular cars in the world; Toyota reigns supreme
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   Most popular cars in the world; Toyota reigns supreme (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/236276-most-popular-cars-world-toyota-reigns-supreme-2.html)

While Toyota is not a surprise, the Hilux being more popular than the Corolla could be interpreted in many ways..

1. The current SUV vs Sedan fight. Or maybe the world is trying to emulate the USA sales charts?

2. More purchases have become utilitarian in nature.

3. More lower income people are buying new cars and they need a versatile vehicle than just personal transport

4. Or maybe simply because many lower income countries which used to be excluded are now included in the studies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 5053069)
No manufacturer to beat Ferrari in terms of operating profits though:

Link

The one company that surprised me in this study was Ford. Just couldn't wrap my head around the fact that Ford needed to sell 900+ cars to get the profit that one Ferrari gives. That too when VW (poor at cost efficiency) and GM (bankrupt prone) were making profits by selling <100 car equivalent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carpainter (Post 5053197)
Edit: Another noticable thing is, in Bangladesh, Corolla is the highest selling car where as in India Swift it is according to the website. Even a couple of years ago it was actually Alto which probably wouldn't even qualify to sell in some countries.

Wouldn't read much into it. In many countries where cars are even more a luxury than in India, the best seller would be a Corolla or something in that segment, or even the next segment.

Picture this. An Alto or Swift would be costing 12-15 lakhs. A Corolla would cost 20+ lakhs. A car is a status symbol and you would be waiting to buy it for years. You would wait and buy a Corolla even if it is expensive and use it for 10+ years. Or buy a used one.

In fact, except for USA, most developed functioning countries (not talking about the places with more money than people) have cheaper affordable cars as top sellers. In Germany, the Golf is a top seller, not an E class. In UK, it is the Ford Fiesta or cars in that class. In Japan, it is the Yaris or WagonR, not the Crown. Another example would be the case of the GCC nations. Saudi Arabia which has more population and overall less wealth per capita has the Camry as the top seller. Rest of the coastal gulf states with way more money than people has the Landcruiser as the top seller.

Closer home, we have the perfect example during the first lockdown period. While top sellers like Swift, Alto sales dived on one hand, expensive high sellers like the Innova, Fortuner were down in the other end, the top selling car in India was the Creta.

Toyota continues to reign Supreme.

- Toyota Sales, Production Numbers Reach Record Highs As They Brush Off Chip Shortage

- Global sales rose 44 percent to 982,912 units, while global production rose 31.6 percent to 843,393—both numbers are record-highs.

- Toyota's exhaustive monitoring of its supply chain and stockpiling of chips have allowed it to keep producing cars to meet rising demand, while its rivals have been forced to idle production due to parts shortages.

-The RAV4 is the best-selling Toyota model, selling 1,031,000 units—up 2.4 percent year-on-year.

Link

Lot of people seem to be surprised to see the Skoda Octavia on the list. In India the Octavia has low sales but if you do the research Octavia has been a top seller in multiple European countries many times. Even outside Europe it has quite a reputation. The only let downs in India are the visits to service centres for whatever reason. (Repair, unreliable DQ200 DSG, battery, intent of service centers to extract money etc. )

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 5053411)
Toyota continues to reign Supreme.

-The RAV4 is the best-selling Toyota model, selling 1,031,000 units—up 2.4 percent year-on-year.

Link

As I see this is for the following reasons

Moving up from Sedan Cars to SUV, RAV4 is the first step.
Land Cruiser is too costly for most as it comes with ultimate luxury. In US, other similar models e.g. Highlander and 4Runner are on the upper scale.
In Middle East, LC is the first and last choice of upper class.
In India, we are content with Fortuner as the pride possession. Absence of RAV4 is better, otherwise there may be a class war between Fortuner and RAV4 owners.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj (Post 5052966)
Among the long list of car brands present across the globe, Toyota has come out on top as the most popular. The Japanese carmaker is said to be the world's most popular car brand, registering the highest market share in as many as 44 countries.

According to reports, Toyota is most commonly seen in countries in Africa, Asia and parts of Europe. Among these, however, Toyota is said to have the highest following in Yemen, where it is said to have a market share of over 93 per cent.

For the dark grey areas in Africa and Afghanistan, hope they didnt try to get the response. I am sure Toyota followed by Nissan trucks would be the most popular ones lol: That means 90% of Africa is Toyota !

Quote:

Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts (Post 5053037)
Only one country; Monaco had a premium brand Mercedes-Benz as it’s highest selling brand (although car was a Smart Fortwo)

Isn't Monaco considered a tax haven? IMO it shouldn't come as a surprise to see the luxury marquees selling well there.

Also, do brands like Honda/Subaru not do well in Europe ? I can't find a concrete source to check myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiku007 (Post 5053309)
As always the devil is in the detail.

How did they calculate the, "The most popular car models in the world."?

Answer: Number of countries it is the most popular in.

:OT This is the same logic people use when they say they have been to X number of countries in the world. In Europe, 2 hour journey later, you are in a new country. :p

Flabbergasted to see the Octavia up there. Though I/we like the car so much but just wish that it was a Toyota product.

Hope Skoda ASS, which of-late is seen improving it's services, takes it to the next level, and we all gather the trust to loosen our pocket for a Skoda and experience the beauty.

Amen

Toyota being the most popular are follows the most efficient manufacturing processes. All the modern Jargon of Lean / 6 Sigma and TPM are perfected by them.

No wonder there cars are super reliable and can last a lifetime if proper maintenance schedules are followed.

Its funny (and sad) to see that Toyota, despite doing so well internationally, opted to sell re-badged cars in India.

Good to see that I own second most popular car in the world :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrackDay (Post 5053275)

Can't help noticing that states with high Indian/Asian population are having Japanese cars as best sellers. Shows our inclination to VFM and 'kitna deti hai' mindset.

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 5053069)
No manufacturer to beat Ferrari in terms of operating profits though:

Attachment 2150021

Well according to this article, Ferrari makes an average profit of $80,000 per car sold whereas Porsche makes $17,250 and Audi, BMW, Mercedes each make about $10,500 per car:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...s-per-car.html

So for every car Ferrari sells, Audi/BMW/Mercedes have to sell 8 cars and not 34 or 38 as shown in the image. Correct me if I am wrong :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carpainter (Post 5053197)
Edit: Another noticable thing is, in Bangladesh, Corolla is the highest selling car where as in India Swift it is according to the website. Even a couple of years ago it was actually Alto which probably wouldn't even qualify to sell in some countries.

If you go to Chittagong seaport, you will see ships from Japan unloading used Japanese cars (saw it first hand). A Bangladeshi would naturally prefer a used Corolla than a local car if they are not hugely different in price.

Wow, no mention of Honda!!!

What are they doing?? Their cars are so good and reliable and not a single mention anywhere? The black sheep is getting darker I would say

More than the presence of a Skoda, I’m surprised by the absence of Honda Civic. Need to know whether these stats take into account total sales across generations or only current generation of each model.