Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2021, 12:54   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Renault to limit top speed of its cars to 180 km/h

Since this discussion is about very high speeds(ie out of the Indian context), whatever comment I make from now on is related to my driving over the last few years on the Autobahn in various cars, and most of the times at speeds above 140 except when restricted.

Firstly, yes, there is no harm in limiting top speed to 180. But at the same time, I do not think it really makes a difference to a manufacturer like Renault whose focus is on the mass market. Of all the cars I have driven so far, the Renault Kaptur, Nissan Micra and Nissan Qashqai the worst to drive on the Autobahn, and the only car where I never felt confident at high speeds. Forget 180, even crossing 140 felt like pushing it and I had to settle down at a comfortable 100-110, which are almost in the league of heavy vehicles on the Autobahn . Hence, they dont have to bang their chest in limiting the speed to 180. They could do lower and still no one in these countries would bother.

Maybe cars like the Megane or Talisman could be better examples of high speed experience but unfortunately I havent driven one. In comparison, the German hatchbacks like the Polo or the Golf are far better suited for higher speeds. They could do with a restriction of 180kmph since its far easier to cross this and never realise without looking at the speedometer.

I think this is just a cheaper way of a manufactuer showing their interest in safety rather than investing on innovations or cutting edge tech to address high speed safety issues without restricting the full potential of a car. There is no point in engineering a Volvo or a Mercedes and making it very capable, but limiting its speed. If so then dont provide more than five gears also. It will automatically redline the car at around 160 in fifth gear and problem solved
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks