Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2021, 22:47   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient

Škoda Fabia officially unveiled :

- Starts at < 14000 Euros

New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-11.jpg

New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-12.jpg

New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-3.jpg

New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-44.jpg

New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-46.jpg

New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-47.jpg

New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-54.jpg

New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-53.jpg

New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-51.jpg

New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-50.jpg

New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-49.jpg

New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-48.jpg

New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-45.jpg

Quote:
The basis will remain the 1.0 MPI Evo atmospheric engine with outputs of 48 and 59 kW and the same torque of 95 newton meters. Both performance variants combine exclusively with the five-speed manual transmission, and the fact that it is an option for the less demanding reveals the acceleration of a stronger version, which accelerates to 100 in a hundred seconds.

There is also a supercharged three-cylinder 1.0 TSI Evo with direct injection, which we tested in the new Octavia. It is available here with outputs of 70 and 81 kW. While the weaker version still has a turbocharger bypass valve, the stronger version got a turbo with variable blade geometry and also a dual-mass flywheel for more effective damping of engine torsional vibrations. The weaker version is combined exclusively with the manual five-quality, the stronger version receives the six-quality, or you can pay extra for a seven-speed two-clutch.

The 1.5 TSI Evo unit is at the absolute top of the range. The parameters of 110 kW and 250 newton meters look more than decent, but unfortunately for many people interested the engine is connected exclusively with the DSG machine. One-five uses the Miller cycle, variable turbo blades, electrically controlled thermostat or plasma-applied cylinder surface. It also has ACT technology, ie switching off two cylinders at a lower load.
New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-s1.jpg

New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-s2.jpg

New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-s3.jpg

New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-a1.jpg
New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-a2.jpg
New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-a3.jpg
New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-a4.jpg
New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-a5.jpg
New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-a6.jpg
New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-a7.jpg
New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-a8.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th May 2021 at 23:11.
volkman10 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 07:51   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 4th-gen Skoda Fabia design sketches revealed; unveil in May

The first gen Fabia with the taller roof, perfect proportions, segment first center arm-rest and sunroof, along with their flagship Bolero infotainment system was truly one of the best family hatchbacks ever made. It just was a beautiful car, like it's sedan counterpart of that time the Laura.

The subsequent model was heavily watered down, had no sunroof, no center arm-rest, bare-bones interior and a high price point that truly killed it's desirability, all done so that it's uber boring (to look at) space-less boxy cousin the Polo, sells more.

Today too, the Fabia remains a platform and body-shell cousin of the Polo, though the design inside-out is yards better and practicality wise almost every Skoda is better than its VW/Seat twins.

Hope Skoda will consider this model for India, there is a market for such cars at about 16-18 lakhs on-road. It'll surely be a far better deal than a BMW 1 Series, Merc A Class or Audi's A3.
dark.knight is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 10:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient

Skoda has unveiled the fourth-generation Fabia hatchback.

The new Skoda Fabia is now underpinned by the Volkswagen Group's MQB-A0 platform. This gives the hatchback larger proportions, compared to its predecessors. The new Fabia is now 4,108 mm in length, 1,780 mm in width and has a wheelbase of 2,564 mm. It also comes with a 380-litre boot space, which can be extended further by folding the rear seats.

New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-skodafabia4gen-1.jpg

In terms of design, the new Skoda Fabia now comes with a much sharper styling. It features LED headlamps with integrated LED DRLs, a signature front grille with chrome surrounds, LED tail lights with Skoda's crystalline elements and 18-inch alloy wheels on the higher trims (14 and 15-inch steel wheels offered on the lower trims).

New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-skodafabia4gen-3.jpg

Inside, the 4th-generation Fabia now comes with a host of updates, features and equipment. This includes a new dashboard layout with a large 9.2-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto at its centre, a fully-digital 10.25-inch instrument cluster with five layouts, two-spoke steering wheel with mounted controls, dual-zone climate control, LED ambient lighting, premium upholstery with contrast stitching and many others.

New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-skodafabia4gen-4.jpg

In the international market, the new Fabia will be offered with three engine options. The first is a 1.0-litre, three-cylinder MPi in two states of tune; producing either 64 BHP or 78 BHP and 93 Nm and mated to a 5-speed manual transmission.

New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-skodafabia4gen-2.jpg

The second is a 1.0-litre, three-cylinder TSI engine again offered in two states of tune; producing either 93 BHP / 175 Nm and mated to a five-speed manual gearbox or 108 BHP / 200 Nm paired to a 6-speed manual transmission with the optional 7-speed DSG on offer.

The range-topping variant of the Skoda Fabia comes powered by the brand's 1.5-litre, four-cylinder TSI engine. It produces 148 BHP and 250 Nm paired with a 7-speed DSG as standard.

New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-skodafabia4gen-5.jpg

Skoda claims that the Fabia is capable of offering a mileage of 900 km (WLTP cycle) from its 50-litre fuel tank capacity.

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 5th May 2021 at 10:41.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 11:00   #4
BHPian

Re: New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient

In my opinion and my fervent wish, Skoda should launch this car in its 1.5 TsI Avatar in India and price it at around 16-18 lakhs. Yes, it won't be setting sales charts on fire but it will definitely help cement their stand as value-luxury. The next sporty hatchbacks you can buy are from the Mini and they will be costing more than twice of what one would end up paying for this.
Also it might help VW to ease in the transition of current version of Polo in India to the same as what is present everywhere else in the world.

Though I do think that it is all my wishful thinking and VW-Skoda won't be launching this in India.
HR 16 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 11:44   #5
BHPian

This is such a beautiful looking car, is it me or anyone else is also getting Mercedes GLA vibes. Due to our 4m regulation it won’t make sense for Skoda to launch it here and considering the focus towards crossovers these days, but I highly believe that there would be a niche set of buyers like me who would love to own one. If Indians can pay 13L for a hyundai i20, I don’t see why wouldn’t we buy a solidly built euro hatch for the same money. Hope Skoda is listening and they bring it to our shores, even if it’s through ckd route. Skoda should see that there’s a dearth of premium hatch in India, I mean polo is dated, Altroz has its own set of reliability issues, Hyundai and their safety records, Baleno is dated etc. there indeed is an opportunity for Skoda.

New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-d98ed05e16464b9fb37d0bb972853ad1.jpeg
sachin_cs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 11:51   #6
BHPian

If they can import the 1.0 & 1.5 TSI variants under the 2,500 unit homologation-free quota scheme that is extended to all car manufacturers, it would find takers
CafeRacer16 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 12:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Such a nice looking hatchback, love to own someday. It a shame that it will not be launched in India, specially with that 1.5TSI motor. Interiors also look nice with panoramic sunroof, not sure how useful that would be here though.
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 13:32   #8
BHPian

Owning a Fabia for the past 10yrs, I can say with conviction that owning this car is not for the faint hearted.

You end up paying more for a premium hatch, with high maintenance costs.
Average to poor Skoda service, with a handful of FNGs who may solve issues with only 20% lesser costs than ASS.

For anything above 10L, India will now buy a mini SUV.

Oh, the Hondas offer Amaze, under 10L. Which is not as well built but is a Honda, big car effect, with similar maintenance costs.
BNG-motorhead is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 13:36   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 4th-gen Skoda Fabia design sketches revealed; unveil in May

New Fabia, official videos:

volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 10:34   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer16 View Post
If they can import the 1.0 & 1.5 TSI variants under the 2,500 unit homologation-free quota scheme that is extended to all car manufacturers, it would find takers
Ruled out as it will be uncompetitive in this segment or above:

New-gen Skoda Fabia globally unveiled; larger, more powerful and efficient-1.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th May 2021 at 10:35.
volkman10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 11:01   #11
BANNED

The only phrase which caught my attention was:

Starting <14,000 Euros

Right at that moment I knew that we are not going to get it. Saw the pics, felt bad - expressed my opinion. Case closed
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 18:01   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Zac said in another tweet that the Fabia is not even on the consideration list currently. Skoda, VW, Honda, Toyota, Ford and others have moved on from the fiercely competitive, cost conscious hatchback segment and left it largely to Maruti, Hyundai & Tata. No point spending so much time, money & effort on hatchbacks with slim margins when the same resources can help you sell crossovers with F-A-T margins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer16 View Post
If they can import the 1.0 & 1.5 TSI variants under the 2,500 unit homologation-free quota scheme
Those cars are still subject to stiff import taxes which make them prohibitively expensive. Will be a bigger flop than the first Fabia in India.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 11:38   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin_cs View Post
This is such a beautiful looking car, is it me or anyone else is also getting Mercedes GLA vibes.
Sorry for the language, but the GLA looks like turd when compared to this. The new Fabia is such a beauty with immense mod potential and brilliant ride dynamics. But then this exactly the kind of vehicles that we don't get/deserve in India.

Can't wait to get my hands on the raised hatchback Kushaq now!! /sarcasm
yd_gli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 12:05   #14
BHPian

The car is looking handsome. If not below 4 metres it may not come here. The old Fabia sold here was a solid car and had its fans. If it comes here and is priced equivalent to sedans it may remain a niche, poster product. Pity
clementw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 16:42   #15
BHPian

Is Josef Kaban still the design lead at Skoda? If so he and his team are still churning out handsome cars (the great irony of the VAG being that it's the lesser sibling brands Skoda and Seat that arguably make the much more interesting cars than parent VW).

Not sure I've seen as many Fabia's in the hatchback segment here in the UK compared to its bigger sibling Octavia which is the de facto favourite for mini cabbers and Uber drivers (outside London, where the Prius reigns supreme likely because of the congestion charge). That being said I remember parents renting the 2nd gen Fabia (the one that made it to India) once and it was a stout little vehicle. Dad came away very impressed, it was only the horror stories of Skoda ASS that put him off buying one alongside the high sticker price.

Much as I'd like to see more variety in the premium hatchback space, I think GTO is right. Most OEMs have thrown in the white flag for this sector. It's a shame really. I'd gladly take a handsome hatchback like this Fabia, though for me it's much more likely I'd get one here in the UK for myself than in India.
ads11 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed