Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2021, 20:24   #1
BHPian

Watch a failed cash-in-transit robbery attempt

Sometimes real life scenarios of few minutes just beats the experience of a full fledged action movie. See the unfolding of a failed robbery attempt on a Cash-In-Transit vehicle in South Africa.

I have no idea what it is to be like this driver. But one thing is sure. This does not look like his first time getting shot at!

This being south africa, the driver seems to be speaking Afrikaans esp. that one sentence around 01:43 'Kom nou %^&%!' means 'Come on now ^&%$!' is ballsy, I would say.

And the relevant news article in dailymail

Last edited by carthick1000 : 7th May 2021 at 20:29.
carthick1000 is offline   (61) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 20:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Watch a failed cash-in-transit robbery attempt

Front angle video of the same

Source: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6x...IPPF2_-ExZzd2w
badboyscad is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 20:58   #3
Team-BHP Support

wow, what a guy, before I read the article, it made little sense to imagine a person driving so cool and his counterpart despite having the gun was sitting like a... We must not forget that bulletproof glass can only save to an extent and some more shots would have pierced and hit him, still, he kept on driving.

And then the next video from angle, it all becomes even more clear. His presence of mind to take the car directly into the waiting truck, this is all movie stuff.

No wonder the vehicle that helped this brave guy is a Toyota Land Cruiser.

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th May 2021 at 21:14.
Turbanator is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 21:13   #4
BHPian

What a guy! Him getting out with that assault rifle in the end gave me goosebumps. The way he was driving after the first hit, in a zig zag fashion, I am guessing it’s training kicking in or I might be wrong. Will go through the news article.
vj_torqueaddict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 21:13   #5
BHPian

Oh wow!!! awesome presence of mind and he is indeed made of steel. His reaction to the scenario, evasive and aggressive maneuvers were well executed during this high adrenaline episode. Hats off to the gentlemen. I believe he's ex spec ops.
rahulananda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 21:50   #6
BHPian

He seems to be trained well because his instincts kicked in way before as he was keeping a watch on the cars approaching from both the angles. He kept his cool throughout which is very important in other normal conditions too when we face an adverse situation like an accident. Considering him, his co-passenger it seems had no idea what to do.

Last edited by GTO : 9th May 2021 at 09:37. Reason: Poor language & grammar
jacobsam is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 8th May 2021, 10:50   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
it made little sense to imagine a person driving so cool and his counterpart despite having the gun was sitting like a...
Exactly, the second video shows the driver's tremendous presence of mind and offensive/defensive driving - trying to neutralize the attackers. And the guy with the gun is such a deer stuck in the headlights.

At the end, he takes the gun and steps out like he's out to buy some bread. Shouldn't these vehicles have a SoS button that directly patch through law enforcement/transportation agency's control room; the co-driver seemed he was like flipping through contacts to call someone.
libranof1987 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 11:15   #8
BANNED

Impressive, came across this video 2 days back in Youtube, impressed with the way this gentleman has handled the situation. Calm, composed, and still working as per the plan - that's how the security personnel are supposed to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
his counterpart despite having the gun was sitting like a
The training manual says that, under an ambush - you aren't supposed to leave the vehicle till the moment it is mobile. Where, leaving the vehicle includes opening the doors too. That is bulletproof glass, what this guy could have done with a gun from inside the car? Bulletproof glass can't be rolled down, and even if it could be, that would have been a bigger risk. Isn't it?

Anyone who is associated with VIP security will tell this, when fired on - just run away. Exactly what these guys did. Assault forces are supposed to be the heroes, 'evasion' is the task of security providers. Imagine getting killed by coming out of the vehicle while trying to get into a face-to-face bullet shower - life and cash, both lost!

That said, at the end of the video, the even took the rifle, opened the door; and exited with the car as the vehicle got stuck somewhere and got immobile (we can listen the tyre slipping noise in that) at 3:24 in the video. That's where he exited the vehicle with the loaded rifle in hand - again as per the rulebook. The moment the vehicle is no more mobile, exit and look for a cover - being a sitting duck is riskier after all.

But yes, the gunner was supposed to exit the vehicle the moment it got stuck, instead of the driver!

Also, the gunman was asked to "call Robi, call Josh" at 2:50, but he was probably too nervous to handle anything at that moment.

Just read a bit about the man, 52 Year old - former police sniper, has protected the likes of Prince Charles and Nelson Mandela; I am not any more surprised by his presence of mind and composed acts!

Last edited by VKumar : 8th May 2021 at 11:28.
VKumar is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 12:51   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
That is bulletproof glass, what this guy could have done with a gun from inside the car? Bulletproof glass can't be rolled down, and even if it could be, that would have been a bigger risk. Isn't it?
Quote:
the gunman was asked to "call Robi, call Josh" at 2:50, but he was probably too nervous to handle anything at that moment.

I have no personal experience, but I think one can roll down the windows on certain vehicles. The least this guy could have done was to have the gun ready and maybe try to fire by opening the door while the car was still in motion. But this is easier said sitting on a laptop.

Perhaps the difference between the two individuals is so large, that one feels that way about the second guy.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 13:08   #10
Team-BHP Support

That assault rifle is too large and unwieldy. But all models of assault rifles have a "carbine" version (mostly used by paratroopers, special forces etc), with a shorter barrel and foldable stock. That's more user-friendly inside cramped cabin of a van.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbine

Eg: AK-47 Carbine

Watch a failed cash-in-transit robbery attempt-whatdoestheakmeaninak47.jpeg

Last edited by SmartCat : 8th May 2021 at 13:13.
SmartCat is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 14:06   #11
BHPian

Here are some updates to this thread.
I was curious by the background of these type of attacks and it seems to be very common and daring in South Africa. Came across an interview with these guys from a SA news channel below. Seems that the colleague who sat next to driver just did what he is supposed to do :

And also an interesting analysis of the situational awareness shown by a trained professional here :

carthick1000 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 15:09   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsam View Post
He seams to be trained well because his instincts kicked in way before as he was keep a watch on the cars approaching from both the angles. He kept his cool throughout which is very important in other normal conditions too when we face an adverse situation like an accident. Considering him his co-passenger it seams had no idea what to do.
He is ex South African Special Forces apparently. Been on private security detail with Prince Charles , Kim Kardashian and similar. The guard was a week old rookie
ajmat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 15:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Car jacking / Robberies are very common in South Africa and not new news. But this was something else and only seen in movies, where as this is real life ! When those bullets started hitting the vehicle, it sounded like someone knocking on the vehicle till things became clear. After the game, challenging someone like Leo for street Cred is basically sheer stupidity ! Any attempt at taking him down in the future will bring in a lot of heat from his friends. Those mercenary type guys are not to be messed with, You hurt one of theirs, they return with hell !

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Front angle video of the same

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=gCuZuclmY_Y
If you watch from 0:23 it is very clear that he is sending a strong message back ! There was enough gap on the right side, yet he decided to go through the left between the pickups so that he could run down and eliminate some threats. This guy is a John Wick / Nobody and those goons picked up the wrong guy to mess up with ! Imagine the sheer terror on their faces when this guy gets out and starts aiming that automatic rifle ! Also going by his profile and history he is very good at his job and would likely be picked up as a security by some billionaire again. His shotgun passenger is obviously out of place and might need some therapy while Mr. Leo is relaxing. Also to be noted how bad Robbie and Josh must be, if Mr. Leo had to call them for back up Also a word of mention for the Toyota Land Cruiser (J70) for being a worthy partner in such testing times !

TrackDay is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 15:23   #14
Team-BHP Support

The man is driving, strategising, pretty much almost one step away from shooting. You were told one job!! At least get Rob and Josh on the phone mate!

I don’t know maybe its just me and some saying the passenger is doing exactly what he was told to but he didn’t look like much of an asset to me. At least I could not see him manage to call for any back up either like he was asked.

On the driver - hell - what can I say thats not been said already. I think this was my Netflix action quota for the day.

Last edited by Axe77 : 8th May 2021 at 15:24.
Axe77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 21:57   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post

The training manual says that, under an ambush - you aren't supposed to leave the vehicle till the moment it is mobile. Where, leaving the vehicle includes opening the doors too. That is bulletproof glass, what this guy could have done with a gun from inside the car? Bulletproof glass can't be rolled down, and even if it could be, that would have been a bigger risk. Isn't it?
If I correctly remember probably which I have read in one of the forums here, even in the car used by the President of United States Of America, the driver can roll down the bullet proof window which is approximately 5 inches thick by 3 inches so that they can communicate and respond with their teams.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 10th May 2021 at 10:55. Reason: Fixed broken quote, corrected typo -> roll

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks