Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2021, 17:21   #16
BHPian

Re: You can now order pre-rusted parts on a Land Rover Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Porsche Exclusive launched the paint-to-sample patina last month. So probably Defender picked up on the trend.
Nope. This was an April fools’ prank.
DeKay is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 17:27   #17
BHPian

Like ripped jeans for Humans, similarly rust garnished parts for cars. When people can adore torn clothes on their bodies, then scarred body panels for cars are actually quite late.
Old 13th May 2021, 18:08   #18
BHPian

I really do not like this whole rusty car thing.

This this thing looks only good on American classics and rat roads.

This whole thing was started because of rat rods.

You can now order pre-rusted parts on a Land Rover Defender-800pxrod_n_kustom_1apr2006_040.jpg

But I honestly do not see any one buying and installing this . It really looks out of place on a new defender.

It is not executed properly. Just having rusty vent's only a clean painted body is not exactly good looking. You have to have some stains to make it more realistic.

But taste is subjective after all.

Last edited by Eshan Joshi : 13th May 2021 at 18:17.
Eshan Joshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 20:36   #19
BHPian

I am trying to get my head wrapped around this. How many of you would want this faux rusty stuff? And why?

To a limit I can understand say stickers which make your SUV look like you just crossed highest mountains, or run through many fields (Sorry U2, could't resist) or even survived crocodile infested swamps, so you get that adventurer look, but this? What is rust even supposed to signify besides lack of care?

Is this the in thing now or am I just too old to get it?
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 21:14   #20
BHPian

This isn't even like the torn jeans fashion (I wouldn't mind some exposed machinery on a car) this is like putting on make-up to look older

Last edited by superguy282 : 13th May 2021 at 21:15.
superguy282 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 10:14   #21

The rusted parts aren't just providing a rustic appearance to enhance vintage look, there is a fair bit of functional technology at play.

The same technology has been used in buildings, marine vessels, and rail road. It is known as Pre-weathered Steel. In simple terms, the top layer sprayed with a different metal composition is deliberately allowed to rust, and that rust acts as a barrier to protect the core metal beneath it.

Advantages:
1. You can do away with requirement of regular painting/rust prevention thus saving on material and manpower cost
2. Gives (buildings) a rustic appearance. That was one of the reason that a global farm equipment major - John Deere chose this technology for the new HQ building (IL, US) in 1964, just so that it blends into the woods. See picture below sourced from Deere Website
Attached Thumbnails
You can now order pre-rusted parts on a Land Rover Defender-deere-hq.jpg  

Kols is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 11:07   #22
BHPian

The first thing that strikes my mind is that Mahindra has already been delivering such parts on new XUVs since a decade....!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th May 2021 at 12:29. Reason: Smileys - 2 per post. Please go by the rules of the board. Thanks!
SamarthMehrotra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 13:13   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Leave alone the fact that old Defenders/Series models didn't really have rusting problems for the body panels. The rot was all underneath, out of sight.

And the new Defender too is all aluminium. Just a distasteful fad. Fake patinas are more tasteful than this.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 18:22   #24
BHPian

Okay. I guess some people do like a vintage look on their possessions. Presumably to give an element of indestructibility (looks old but still functions).
But then why do that for just a few panels?
I mean, does it look odd that a few panels with well defined cut-offs are completely rusted and others are shiny and new?
Doesn't look natural at all I feel.
I think the desired message changes completely from "there has been no issues with this car for the last 20 years" to "what's wrong with this car?"
arijitkanrar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 22:18   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Just when you thought the JLR crowd could not get any worse, they come up with rusty accessories. Not my style at all.

I have seen lots of the “rat-style” hotrods when we lived in the USA. Actually, getting a whole car to look rusty is more difficult than you might think.

Buying a new car with new fake rust is just beyond me.

I never got the intent of "making things look old”. Whether it is a chair, a desk, a lamp or a guitar. There is stuff that is looking old and worn, because it is, uh, old and worn! And that is fine, it might have a certain charm to it. We like antique and we like to visit any number of Brocante market around all of Europe.

But either it is old, and you might want to restore it to its original condition, or maybe persevere its current condition. I get all of that. But “raging” stuff, is beyond me I am afraid.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 08:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

This looks bad to me not because the finish is poor or low quality but because rest of the car is all shiny and reflective making rusted parts completely out of place.
Had they rusted body panels surrounding the vents that would look even worse in a good way.
amol4184 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 11:32   #27

So the Faded and Torn Jeans fashion that picked up Pace in 1990' is now catching the auto industry. Good for a change if not for looks.
Somehow de developing countries like India have unfolded Car Scrapping policies/Laws recently which will bury actual Old Cars into history, so after an year or two, the Rusted and Scratched Looks in Premium cars would be the apple of the eyes for all retro car lovers
Old 15th May 2021, 11:41   #28

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 16th May 2021 at 19:45.
contactgauravg is offline   Received Infraction
Old 16th May 2021, 19:55   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If the rusted look comes into fashion, it sure will save owners of old cars a lot of money! Fixing rust is a standard part of my Jeep's annual service checklist. Although, I will add that some 4x4s & pickup trucks can look good with rust. Sort of adds to their character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Contrary to the other members here, I actually feel that this is a good move. Making your possessions look older than they actually are is not a new concept.
Like other BHPians, torn denims were the first to come to mind!

You can now order pre-rusted parts on a Land Rover Defender-1.jpg
Source

There's a market for worn out sneakers too!
You can now order pre-rusted parts on a Land Rover Defender-2.jpg
Source
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 14:57   #30
BHPian

There's this chapter in Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, where a city bred guy is invited by his friend in the country to spend a hunting season at his rural homestead. Having never hunted before and with money no object, the city guy goes and buys the best of hunting gear available, for the visit. On the 1st day of the hunt, he is out on the porch decked in his sparkling new attire from head to toe and is feeling rather smug only until his 'rural' host comes out looking classy as hell, in hunting attire which has seen years of use, the boots are cracked, the riding breeches are worn, the gloves are stained. This city guy's emotions and dejection at his own misplaced vanity are beautifully captured.

No wonder there's a market for pre-worn jeans, faded jeans, ripped jeans and now fake patina and rusted parts!

The quest for things that money can't buy!?
cpabhijit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed