Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2021, 14:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

You can now order pre-rusted parts on a Land Rover Defender

The only similarity between the new Land Rover Defender and the original is that both vehicles are mighty capable off-road. The design of the new Defender might evoke memories of the original, but the experience is nowhere close to what you get in a true classic.

You can now order pre-rusted parts on a Land Rover Defender-heritagecustomslandroverdefender-3.jpg

The Defender has become sophisticated with time. If you're a purist and want that classic car feel, this one isn't for you. But, what if you want a modern Defender that looks like it has conquered every continent and travelled the world?

You can now order pre-rusted parts on a Land Rover Defender-heritagecustomslandroverdefender-1.jpg

Heritage Customs has exactly what you need. The company has launched an accessory pack for the new Defender that adds pre-rusted side vents and hood panels giving the car a slightly distressed look.

You can now order pre-rusted parts on a Land Rover Defender-heritagecustomslandroverdefender-2.jpg

The company uses a new metallurgy process that uses spray-on metal. It can be used to spray aluminium, brass, bronze, titanium, zinc and even gold on to a metal surface. The company claims that the finish can last for up to 20 years.

You can now order pre-rusted parts on a Land Rover Defender-heritagecustomslandroverdefender.jpg

Heritage Customs also offers unique 22-inch Black Crow forged alloy wheels and brown leather upholstery for the interior.
TusharK is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 14:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: You can now order pre-rusted parts on a Land Rover Defender

What next?

Pre-rattling parts from Maruti and Mahindra?
2000rpm is offline   (162) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 14:32   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post

Attachment 2155373

Attachment 2155371

Attachment 2155372

Attachment 2155370

Heritage Customs also offers unique 22-inch Black Crow forged alloy wheels and brown leather upholstery for the interior.
That looks so cool! Tasteful overloaded!
Only if they had provided the DEFENDER badge in the front as well in the same rustic finish, the looks would have been compete
Big Smoke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 14:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, so is it paint mimicking a rusted surface or is it really rusted in a manner that the finish will stay for long and not damage the body, too?

The finish of the rusted parts are really high quality (never imagined saying this).

Cast iron parts showing orange oxidation layer during PDI should be a moment of joy for car buyers now I guess. I wouldnt be surprised to read “I rejected the car because it had no premium feeling and even the brake discs were not rusted”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Maruti already comes with one. There will be atleast one pre rattling part in every Maruti. Be it the parcel tray or glove box area.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 13th May 2021 at 14:34.
PaddleShifter is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 14:38   #5
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, is there a market for such ? Would a buyer look for a new car that fakes it's heritage/extensive usage? I can understand an antique/classic finish but pre-rusted ?

Quote:
What next?

Factory certified lemons may be next

Last edited by NPV : 13th May 2021 at 14:41.
NPV is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 14:38   #6
BHPian

I did not even imagine this to be a possible offering! I did read somewhere about pre-worn sneakers or something like that. Some MBA genius at helm?

On a lighter note, these guys are providing rust treatment to counter the success 3M and other such companies have had from their an anti-rust treatment!

Quote:
I can imagine a line in the brochure stating, "The Nexa showrooms offer premium rattle sounds in 7.1 compared to the pedestrian 2.1 tones of Arena."
Researcher is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 15:13   #7
Team-BHP Support

Really! Are people going to do this treatment to their new Defenders? This thread should be in the jokes section
BlackPearl is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 15:19   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

These exquisite visual elements are a preview of what that vehicle will eventually become once the warranty is over. Or incase of TFL youtube channel, as soon as they got it.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 15:30   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

First time I saw this on another thread, I thought the new Defender has severe rusting issues. Only when I read through it, I realized these are party clothes for the smart boy!

This reminds me of the rust wrap and paint jobs which have been popular for some time.

If someone likes their Lambo
You can now order pre-rusted parts on a Land Rover Defender-lambo-rust.jpg

Source

and i8 in this avatar
You can now order pre-rusted parts on a Land Rover Defender-rustbmwi87.jpg

Source

Even in India, we have a 911 sporting the rust wrap
ashis89 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 15:40   #10
BHPian

Porsche Exclusive launched the paint-to-sample patina last month. So probably Defender picked up on the trend.

You can now order pre-rusted parts on a Land Rover Defender-167480630_10159716016817668_9186290914891769540_n.jpg
You can now order pre-rusted parts on a Land Rover Defender-167649586_10159716016612668_1830629106414386177_n.jpg
You can now order pre-rusted parts on a Land Rover Defender-167816585_10159716016507668_6191116716023934309_n.jpg

Last edited by carthick1000 : 13th May 2021 at 15:44.
carthick1000 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 15:59   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Contrary to the other members here, I actually feel that this is a good move. Making your possessions look older than they actually are is not a new concept.

Electric guitars can be 'relic'-ed to give it a vintage finish that makes it look a lot older than it actually is. I believe Fender came up with it first and its controversial but really popular. Anyone who has owned a guitar for an extended period of time knows that scratches and dings are an unavoidable part and parcel of these instruments, especially if you move them from place to place. A relic-ed guitar gives you the appearance of a well worn guitar but in a brand new model. So you get vintage looks with modern technology. And you can choose from a range of relic finishes.

Quote:
Why would you want a relic guitar?
Scratches are the battle scars of a used guitar. But most players wouldn’t dare submit their shiny, pristine instrument to that kind of inconsistent damage. Especially when there’s such a fine line between a classy job and a clumsy mess.

Just like any other finish, relic guitars have a unique look many a musician would love to own – be it a fancy figured top wood, bold solid colour or transparent coat. It’s a stylistic choice resembling the result of years of playing.
Below are some of the finishes available from Fender.

Quote:
Journeyman Relic
Played around the house with the occasional gig or jam session. Might have even changed owners a couple of times. Slight nicks and dents, dull hardware and wear to the areas you’d expect of a well-played guitar.

Relic
The workhorse effect. A guitar with plenty of mileage under its belt, it’s been bashed against walls and amps in a lot of sweaty club gigs. Lots dents and scars all across the body and neck.

Heavy Relic
The most extreme Fender finish. This guitar has seen decades of service at the hands of players who just need it to work. Heavy hardware oxidization with dings and wear across every body, neck and headstock curve
Link to more information on relic guitars.

You can now order pre-rusted parts on a Land Rover Defender-431570r104964-1.jpg

You can now order pre-rusted parts on a Land Rover Defender-431574r104964-5.jpg

Here is what an expensive Heavy Relic Fender Strat looks like.

In case anyone wants to try a DIY relic finish on your guitar, read this.
neil.jericho is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 16:35   #12
BHPian

First of all what is the point.

And even if you did that, why only certain parts? Why not the entire car? Why do you do it at all? That Lambo looks stupid. Patina looks good on actual classics, not these impostors.

This is probably a fad and I hope it will die out in a few years.

Cheers
OctYFAN
OctYFAN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 17:00   #13
BHPian

I have seen a few cars at a meet in the UK. They use a rust paint. the price is slightly more than ordinary paint.

You can now order pre-rusted parts on a Land Rover Defender-rusty.jpg

https://www.sprayonrustpaint.co.uk/

Last edited by Indian2003 : 13th May 2021 at 17:19.
Indian2003 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 17:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

They probably got the idea from Tata motors who add retro cues like large panel gaps and niggling issues in their newer cars as a homage to their older models. I wish they made it optional, and we got to choose which versions we got.
greenhorn is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 17:15   #15
BHPian

All this is unfathomable to my middle-class mind but then we wear shredded/ distressed jeans.

My engineering mind has a question: Doesn't the rust spread along and rust adjacent, parts? Will it not compromise structural integrity which is not visible to the naked eye? What is the maintenance/ care for such parts?

My wicked mind is wondering should I let my car rust and will that make me eligible to buy a Land Rover through exchange?

Maybe all this is a dream and I need to wake up. I will know once I check my Team-BHP account.
naikameya is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks