Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2021, 19:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai-Genesis create a stunning station wagon, the G70

Genesis has revealed the Shooting Brake version of the G70, first model developed specifically for the European market.

Hyundai-Genesis create a stunning station wagon, the G70-genesis_g70_sb_1.jpg

Quote:
The G70 Shooting Brake draws heavily on the design of its saloon. Genesis says the decision to develop a streamlined estate for European customers was made because it is “a bodystyle firmly rooted in European automotive history and favoured by customers in the premium luxury sector”.
Hyundai-Genesis create a stunning station wagon, the G70-genesis_g70_sb_4.jpg

Hyundai-Genesis create a stunning station wagon, the G70-genesis_g70_sb_6.jpg

Hyundai-Genesis create a stunning station wagon, the G70-genesis_g70_sb_12.jpg

Hyundai-Genesis create a stunning station wagon, the G70-2022genesisg70shootingbrake132.jpg

Quote:
At 4685mm long and 1400mm high with a wheelbase of 2835mm, the G70 Shooting Brake is the same size as the G70 saloon.
Hyundai-Genesis create a stunning station wagon, the G70-genesis_g70_sb_3.jpg

Hyundai-Genesis create a stunning station wagon, the G70-genesis_g70_sb_2.jpg

Quote:
Genesis has also yet to offer any details of which powertrains will be offered on the G70 Shooting Brake. In other markets, the saloon version is offered with a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine and a 3.3-litre twin-turbocarged petrol V6, in combination with both rear- and four-wheel-drive.
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 12th May 2021 at 19:48.
Venkatesh is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 13:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai-Genesis' upcoming 3-Series rival, the G70

Hyundai-Genesis create a stunning station wagon, the G70

Genesis has unveiled a stunning new station wagon in the form of the G70 Shooting Brake. The new Genesis G70 Shooting Brake is based on the brand's G70 luxury sedan and will be sold exclusively in Europe.

Hyundai-Genesis create a stunning station wagon, the G70-genesisg70shootingbrake1.jpg

The G70 Shooting Brake carries forward the stunning design lines and characteristics of the sedan. The station wagon can be seen featuring the brand's signature 'Crest Grille' at the front, flanked on either side by quad lamps with integrated LED DRLs. The new Shooting Brake model extends this design to the rear as well, with the split LED tail lights.

Hyundai-Genesis create a stunning station wagon, the G70-genesisg70shootingbrake3.jpg

Interiors of the new G70 Shooting Brake remains identical to its sedan sibling, with Genesis claiming it resembles the cockpit of a fighter jet.

Hyundai-Genesis create a stunning station wagon, the G70-genesisg70shootingbrake4.jpg

The Shooting Brake model also carried forward the same dimensions as the G70 sedan. However, the new station wagon is now said to offer 40% more luggage space. Genesis has also improved practicality on the Shooting Brake, with the rear bench seats coming with a 40:20:40 split.

Hyundai-Genesis create a stunning station wagon, the G70-genesisg70shootingbrake5.jpg

The Genesis G70 sedan is offered in three engine options - a 2.0-litre turbo-petrol, a 3.3-litre twin-turbo petrol and a 2.2-litre diesel unit. The new G70 Shooting Brake is expected to carry forward the same engine options as well.

Hyundai-Genesis create a stunning station wagon, the G70-genesisg70shootingbrake2.jpg

The Genesis G70 Shooting Brake, as mentioned before, has been introduced exclusively for the European market. The company will commence sales of the G70 Shooting Brake later this year, starting with Germany, UK and Switzerland.

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 13th May 2021 at 13:48.
RahulNagaraj is online now   (26) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 14:37   #3
BHPian

With the steady decrease in acceptance of station wagons throughout the world, Europe is the only place where its still a thriving segment. I'm happy to see Genesis, although being a Korean company, develop a new station wagon.

Any details whether it'll get AWD?
Big Smoke is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 15:27   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Not having a design language is a blessing for Koreans, they can do whatever they want, this should have been a 2 door though for those who want to go hunting without friends.
Kosfactor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 18:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Looks stunning but the front end, especially the 'grille', they could have done better. It ruined the whole look of the car in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai-Genesis create a stunning station wagon, the G70-genesisg70shootingbrake1.jpg  

HammerHead is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 20:07   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Not having a design language is a blessing for Koreans
Isn't this in line with their unique design language? And consistent with the rest of the Genesis range?

Totally different story that I hate it - especially the front grille! But it sure is unique now.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 21:03   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Isn't this in line with their unique design language? And consistent with the rest of the Genesis range?

Totally different story that I hate it - especially the front grille! But it sure is unique now.
2017 - 2019 you can sort of relate them - 2020 onwards things have gone wild. This is very different from say an Audi within the same time frame.

If you look at what Hyundai is doing, they are not going for incremental updates to their design, it's moving very fast. The yet to launch Skoda crossover is more related to a Mk1 Creta design wise than the current one. It's not about what is good or bad, it's just what companies can do when they don't have any corporate design constraints.
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 07:37   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai-Genesis create a stunning station wagon, the G70

I generally hate the station wagon body style, but still find the G70 to be gorgeous! Wow, stunning indeed. Hyundai-Genesis is definitely onto something with their new cars & designs. Plus, if you talk to any Genesis owner, you will usually find a happy one. The brand sure stands for "value luxury".

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
The Genesis G70 Shooting Brake, as mentioned before, has been introduced exclusively for the European market. The company will commence sales of the G70 Shooting Brake later this year, starting with Germany, UK and Switzerland.
They had better be ready for a long play. The premium segment of Europe is very hard to crack - even Lexus couldn't do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Looks stunning but the front end, especially the 'grille', they could have done better.
Yeah, it does look strange, but will hold the verdict until seeing non-press release images.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 07:58   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow!

Why can't we get something like this in India? Our roads can handle this with a little more of GC. This looks stunning and practical too. Loads of space for passengers as well as luggage. Only issue I see would be the price, hitting north of even Santa Fe!

At one point of time, I used to like the Indigo Marina, Fiat Palio Adventure and Baleno Altura but then there were multiple factors which were not in its favour. But in today's context, something like this will get buyers.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 10:06   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Genesis always had my respect, but with their new deaign language am seriously enamoured by their models.
Just love stationwagons and especially the shooting brake versions of larger luxury cars.

Would wonder how they would be like in India. With Hyundai's muscle they could undercut the competition and now have a wonderful inline-6 diesel too. But Hyundai India having burned their hands are now going slowly upmarket instead of jumping segments and also like most of Lexus, Genesis also manufactures their cars exclusively in Korea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Wow!

Why can't we get something like this in India? Our roads can handle this with a little more of GC. This looks stunning and practical too. Loads of space for passengers as well as luggage. Only issue I see would be the price, hitting north of even Santa Fe!
Mercedes and Volvo did, never to repeat the mistake again.

The price would definitely be more than the Santa Fe. Proper luxury car vs run of the mille family crossover.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 11:03   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I generally hate the station wagon body style, but still find the G70 to be gorgeous! Wow, stunning indeed.
Any particular reason for hating the station wagon body style? I've always felt they are grossly underrated. They marry the driving dynamics of a sedan with added practicality of a large boot. The Volvo V90 CC is perfect for my needs, I felt.

And no doubt, the G70 is really something else! Looks incredible.
pavanmadhini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 22:06   #12
BHPian

Oh man this is a handsome estate car for sure! Has the proportions of all the best looking recent estate cars - I mean you can't go wrong with a well implemented shooting brake design (Porsche even managed to make their resident elephant man of a car, the Panamera, relatively respectable in shooting brake form).

I totally love the way they've done the rear windshield! That's a lovely design touch.

I'm probably on my own here but I'd really love to see Zagato have a go at doing a version of this - I think the Zagato grille would lend itself to the front fascia and the double buddle roof would look a treat on this I think.
ads11 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 22:08   #13
BHPian

The design looks heavily influence by Mercedes. It could easily pass off as one with different badges and front grill which is a good thing. It looks beautiful!!

Station wagons are a very European quirk that are extremely user friendly and practical. I guess the pseudo-SUVs have almost made them extinct but they do have certain advantages over the pseudo-suvs. A friend in the UK had a Subaru impreza wagon and it was such a hoot that I have always wanted one. Unfortunately never got to buy one before I moved back to India. They will never sell in India, sadly!
Amsdoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 23:13   #14
BHPian

Wow. Looks stunning. Hope the Genesis brand is launched in India soon.
Old 17th May 2021, 11:27   #15
BHPian

Beautiful design. First modern wagon I liked after the V90 Cross Country & E63.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks