Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2021, 15:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Lamborghini's future plans | Hybrids & electric sports car coming

Stephan Winkelmann, President and CEO of Automobili Lamborghini has revealed plans in a video released by the car maker to hybridize the Huracan, Aventador, and the Urus SUV by early 2025. Also plans are in action to introduce an all new fourth model

Lamborghini's future plans | Hybrids & electric sports car coming-lambo.png

Quote:
Lamborghini CEO Stephan Winkelmann has announced a plan to bring electric assistance to every single of the brand’s models by 2024 and put its first ever EV on the road before the end of the decade.

The plan, called Direzione Cor Tauri (Towards Cor Tauri) and referencing Lamborghini’s famous bull logo and Cor Tauri, the brightest star in the Taurus constellation, contains a step-by-step roadmap to electrification over the course of the next decade that will put the brand’s first mainstream hybrid on the road by 2023. Moreover, by 2025 Lamborghini hopes to have slashed CO2 emissions to half their current level by extending hybrid power to the full Lamborghini line-up.

The first phase of the plan will take place during 2021-22 and focus on celebrating the combustion engine, or probably more accurately, waving goodbye to it in its current naturally aspirated, non-hybrid form. Lamborghini says it will reveal two new V12 cars during 2021, one of which is likely to be a rumoured Countach tribute and the second some kind of commemorative model to send-off the current V12 powertrain in style.

In 2023 the focus switches from looking backwards to looking forwards. That’s when Lamborghini will launch its first hybrid series production car, and only the company’s second ever electrically assisted model after the limited run Sian. The new hybrids are the first fruit of a massive €1.5 billion ($1.8 billion) investment, the biggest in Lamborghini history, allocated over four years.

But the most exciting part of the announcement is Lamborghini’s confirmation that it is working on a fourth model line, an EV that will be introduced during the second half of the decade.

“Acceleration [of development] in the second part of the decade will be dedicated to full-electric vehicles, with the vision of a fourth model in the future,” Lamborghini said in a statement. “Once again, technological innovation in this phase will be oriented towards ensuring remarkable performance, and positioning the new product at the top of its segment.”

“We wouldn’t do a smaller SUV – it would be a problem of cannibalization. We are not a premium brand, we are a super sports brand and we need to stay at the top.”

“I believe there is a chance for a fourth model, a 2+2 GT car – that’s a segment where we are not present but some other competitors are. That’s the only extension I can see making sense.”

When asked if it would be a two-door or four-door car, Domeicali said: “That’s not decided, but I think a four-door is for the SUV, being a super sports car, the fourth model should be two doors.”

“Lamborghini’s electrification plan is a newly plotted course, necessary in the context of a radically changing world, where we want to make our contribution by continuing to reduce environmental impact,” he said. “Lamborghini has always been synonymous with preeminent technological expertise in building engines boasting extraordinary performance. This commitment will continue as an absolute priority of our innovation trajectory.”
Lamborghini's future plans | Hybrids & electric sports car coming-lambo-1.png

Last edited by TrackDay : 18th May 2021 at 15:12.
TrackDay is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 15:21   #2
BHPian

re: Lamborghini's future plans | Hybrids & electric sports car coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Stephan Winkelmann, President and CEO of Automobili Lamborghini has revealed plans in a video released by the car maker to hybridize the Huracan, Aventador, and the Urus SUV by early 2025. Also plans are in action to introduce an all new fourth model
I was just about to post this .

Here's the official release from the company:

Quote:

“DIREZIONE COR TAURI”: LAMBORGHINI MOVING TOWARDS ECOLOGICAL TRANSITION

Making its debut is the new “Direzione Cor Tauri”, the environmental sustainability route that will lead Lamborghini to the decarbonization of its future models. The Latin term for heart of the Bull, Cor Tauri is also the brightest star of the constellation of Taurus, and it depicts the direction Lamborghini has taken towards an electrified future, however a future always faithful to the heart and soul of the brand.

The constant focus of the process to electrify the products will be identifying technologies and solutions able to guarantee top performance and top driving dynamics, staying true to Lamborghini’s genuine tradition.

Stephan Winkelmann, Chairman and CEO of Automobili Lamborghini, commented: “Lamborghini’s electrification plan is a change of course that was made necessary by a radically changed context, in which we want to give our contribution by continuing to reduce environmental impact with tangible projects.”

Direzione Cor Tauri breaks down into three phases:
  • Celebration of the internal combustion engine (2021-2022)
    The first step will be distinguished by the development of internal combustion engines for models that pay tribute to the brand’s glorious history and to its iconic products of past and present.

• Hybrid transition (by the end of 2024)
    In 2023, the first hybrid model will be launched and the entire range will be electrified by the end of 2024. This stage pursues the target of reducing CO2 emissions by 50% starting from the beginning of 2025, and what will guide the hybrid transition will be a ground-breaking investment: over € 1.5 billion allocated in four years, the biggest investment of Lamborghini’s history.

• First Full Electric Lamborghini (second half of the decade)
    The summa of the journey is the vision of a future fourth full electric model able to guarantee extraordinary performance and to position the new product at the top of the segment.

The Lamborghini program is inspired by a holistic vision of the company’s sustainability strategy: a full-scale approach that starting from the product embraces the entire Sant’Agata Bolognese site, from the production lines to the offices, while keeping focus on the quality of performance and the genuine driving experience high in the development of new technologies.

The soul and compass of the Cor Tauri transformation plan will once again be the brand’s DNA and its innate ability to turn challenges into opportunities, with special attention paid to the most urgent ecological choices that the world demands of us.
Personally, I feel that the upcoming electric car could be a sleek super-sedan based on either the Estoque or the Asterion concepts, that shares its underpinnings with the Porsche Taycan, but let's see.
Turbojc is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 18:19   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojc View Post
Personally, I feel that the upcoming electric car could be a sleek super-sedan based on either the Estoque or the Asterion concepts, that shares its underpinnings with the Porsche Taycan, but let's see.
Lamborghini are one of the final few who not only have a naturally aspirated V12 in their line up but offer a V10 as well, the latter to me being increasingly rare (I struggle to think of many other brands currently offering V10s). I hope they give a suitable final hurrah to their big displacement engines

But change waits for no one and it was always a matter of time before Lambo had to go the electrification route. I will say if Lamborghini borrowed from within the VAG family, say the Taycan platform, and made something like the Asterion concept a reality, I'd be all for it!

I think though they already have an excellent candidate for an early platform in terms of the Urus. Sales of that model already underwrite the rest of the model range and besides, most Lambo’s end up shuffling along Knightsbridge at walking pace with the poor clutch getting fried. It would be easy to hide the pork of a whole EV system in the Urus and any loss in dynamism (the latter I find unlikely to be frank given the instant poke available from electric motors).
Next up would be to bring it to another "mass market/entry level" model like whatever replaces the Huracan.

Oh, and on a side note, Lamborghini have already used a supercapacitor beyond just a technology demonstrator. The Sian employs a supercapacitor instead of a battery pack and based on all the reviews by Top Gear, Carfection and others on Youtube, it’s just as bonkers and over the top as you’d expect from a brand that’s made it their main currency. I'd love to see them keep tinkering with exotic things like supercapacitors!
ads11 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 19:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

The beautiful sounding V12 will now make for a 12V.

It was the engine which carried on the legacy for manufacturers like Lambo and Ferrari. Lets see what electronic magic they bring in next to a car which will no longer has its soul (NA or even a Turbo engine)

Our current gasoline powered vehicles are rated on the additional electronic features it has and the future electric cars will have nothing to do with gasoline or will they (clean and natural energy)?
SnS_12 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks