Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2021, 06:17   #1
BHPian

DIY: Jugaad Homemade Cars!

These are 2 cars that a friend Kåre Høie made. The cars are made without any drawings. He sort of laid down the pipes on the floor and started to cut and weld.
The make according to the Road Transport Department is Høie44.

Here is a short video of both cars.

DIY: Jugaad Homemade Cars!-1beggebiler.jpg

DIY: Jugaad Homemade Cars!-2bil1foran.jpg

DIY: Jugaad Homemade Cars!-3bil1bak.jpg

DIY: Jugaad Homemade Cars!-3bil2foran.jpg

DIY: Jugaad Homemade Cars!-4bil2bak.jpg

DIY: Jugaad Homemade Cars!-5bil2bakfra.jpg

The rear wheels are chain driven and the rear axles comes out of a differential.
DIY: Jugaad Homemade Cars!-bakstilling.jpg

I forgot to ask but the rear suspension looks like they are from Öhlins
DIY: Jugaad Homemade Cars!-eksosogfjring.jpg

The suspension and steering are homemade
DIY: Jugaad Homemade Cars!-forstilling.jpg

The cockpit is similar on both cars
DIY: Jugaad Homemade Cars!-ratt.jpg

You can call it an advanced jugaad project. He is not an engineer but a teacher at a trade school. He teaches car electrics.

4 cylinder motorcycle engines are used. In car number 44 he used a CB600F Honda Hornet engine and the other one, a Suzuki GSR600 engine.

Reverse is with an electric motor. The rear axles are chain driven. He was out on a drive today to polish out minor issues for the final registration.

All components are made in his shed. The bodywork is rolled out using his knees and pieces of wood. The first one has a stainless steel body while the latest one has an aluminium body.

The steering racks are homemade as well as the brake caliper holders.Top speed is 170 km/hour. At 100 the rear wheels burn rubber if he throttles it. The cars weigh 390 kilos with a full tank.

Last edited by Indian2003 : 21st May 2021 at 07:11.
Indian2003 is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 08:04   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: Jugaad Homemade Cars!

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the International Scene. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 09:52   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Your friend's "jugaad" standards are very high

Jokes apart, really impressed to see what he has built here. I have also always dreamt of making a small go-kart like abomination using an Enfield 500 or 350cc engine and keeping the weight as low as possible. End of the day, the satisfaction one derives out of such projects is unparalleled I am sure.

Could you shed some more light on how the road transport department classifies these vehicles and decides road legality? What sort of criteria are to be met?
vishy76 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 11:05   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow. Great Work! Also surprised to see homemade cars getting a registration. Here we upgrade a bumper and registration goes for a toss.

Would appreciate knowing how he got a registration for the car.

Also, please feel free to shed some light on the technical details.
dhanushs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 11:26   #5
BHPian

The track day dream!!! I would truly love to try this vehicle on a race track. Kudos to your friend for building not one but two custom cars. I wish the law here allowed us to make/register our custom built vehicles. Looking at the design your friend was truly inspired by the 1967 F1 cars.

DIY: Jugaad Homemade Cars!-e4561f280c58e885594d81e5409db52f.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
I forgot to ask but the rear suspension looks like they are from Öhlins
Attachment 2158345
You can call it an advanced jugaad project. He is not an engineer but a teacher at a trade school. He teaches car electrics.
That rear suspension setup looks interesting.
You don't need to be an engineer to build a car. You just need the experience to know what's right and what's wrong. Your friend certainly has a lot of experience if he's engineered this without a drawing board. I knew an experienced mechanic who is a diploma drop out and he probably had more knowledge about the engines than the engineer who made it. He could literally point out faults and changes that needed to be done even though he had no idea on how to operate a computer.

It would be great if you could share his build journey(or pics).

Last edited by SenPai_GTi : 21st May 2021 at 11:28.
SenPai_GTi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 13:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

If this is what he can do without drawings, I wonder what he will be able to make with a set of proper engineered and detailed out drawing sheets. Like BHP-ian vishy76 said, your friend's 'Jugaad' standards are very high indeed .

Sad fact is that today most of our engineering graduates in this discipline are not well versed with the basic fundamentals, forget making a car altogether.

Anyways do share more details about this ride, especially videos if you have of this taking down the roads.
TrackDay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 15:11   #7
BHPian

Your friend has done an amazing job.

Building something like this takes a lot of passion , commitment and patience . I can only imagine how much he has for building two.

I was just wondering , how long did it take to build both of them?

This reminds me of this South African man who built this on this Sauber-Mercedes C9 Replica on his own , which is also road legal:
Eshan Joshi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 15:25   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshan Joshi View Post
Your friend has done an amazing job.
I was just wondering , how long did it take to build both of them?
I asked him but he could not tell. The car was built in his spare time after work but he used a few years. I saw the first car in 2017 and already then talking about building one more.
Indian2003 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 16:31   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Could you shed some more light on how the road transport department classifies these vehicles and decides road legality? What sort of criteria are to be met?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Wow. Great Work! Also surprised to see homemade cars getting a registration. Here we upgrade a bumper and registration goes for a toss.

Would appreciate knowing how he got a registration for the car.

Also, please feel free to shed some light on the technical details.
Here you can see the criteria for homemade cars and motorcycles. You will need to ask our friend Google for some help in translation. They send engineers to check out on the project throughout the build to study the quality of the welding.

A friend of mine once chopped a car. He lowered the roof and the body of the car.
DIY: Jugaad Homemade Cars!-chopped.jpg
He had to inform them every time he did something new and wait for the engineer to come around and check. I was there when they came to check the removal of the roof and when the low roof was attached to the car.

https://www.vegvesen.no/kjoretoy/Eie...ing/amatorbygg

Last edited by Indian2003 : 21st May 2021 at 16:40.
Indian2003 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 18:26   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Anyways do share more details about this ride, especially videos if you have of this taking down the roads.
Here is the clip that I forgot to splice into the first video. Sounds nice at acceleration. I will have to meet him again and find a nicer place to take some pictures.

Indian2003 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 21:06   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
... Sounds nice at acceleration. ...
Damn, 12,000 + revvs in four wheels and a steering sounds soo good man! Any idea what's the total weight of these rigs?
dhanushs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 21:08   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Damn, 12,000 + revvs in four wheels and a steering sounds soo good man! Any idea what's the total weight of these rigs?
I wrote that in the first post. 390 kilos with a full tank
Indian2003 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 10:21   #13
BHPian

Excellent! They seem like the kit cars that are fairly common (at least where I used to live) in the UK. Except he has made most of the parts at home. I am sure he must have taken some ideas from the various kit car makes. Every time I saw a Catherham or a Morgan I would want one. Sadly, never got to it. Super like to your friend though. What an amazing build!
I presume this is in Norway. Don't know what the regulations are like in Norway but I don't think this would have run with Sweden, which I initially thought it was. They have extra strict regulations for everything!
Amsdoc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 11:20   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdoc View Post
Excellent! They seem like the kit cars that are fairly common (at least where I used to live) in the UK. Except he has made most of the parts at home. I am sure he must have taken some ideas from the various kit car makes. Every time I saw a Catherham or a Morgan I would want one.
This appears to be very different from a kit car. Caterham can be bought ready made and as a kit. There is a TopGear episode where Jeremy, James and Richard put one together in less than a day.

Morgan are definitely not a kit car. For a while it was sold as a kit car in the USA. But it was basically a ready made car, but without the engine. You would have to put that in yourself. The reason they sold it as a kit car was to circumnavigate USA car legislation. Kit cars require a lot less safety features. So that was a loophole that could be explored to get the Morgan plus 4 into the USA market.

The Caterham was really designed as a kit car from early on. The Morgan was not.

These two cars appear to be home build ground up. Which is very different from a kit car. One of the tricky things on these cars is the tubular frame. Very tricky to get it right, you really need a jig and a lot of welding experience. There are probably only about half a dozen of firms in Europe that have the necessary in-house experience to build you a tubular frame. But of course, you can do it yourself too, especially if local laws allow you to do so.

I googled Høie44 and the registration popped up straight away:

https://regnr.info/DP47464

Being Dutch I can sort of read Norwegian (and Swedisch), and context makes up for the rest. And otherwise google translate to the rescue

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 12:40   #15
BHPian

Great to see marvellous outcome of hard labour.
Here is a Jugaad Car getting Registered, while in India, Factory designed,Engineered and Produced Cars are being scrapped as they get 15 Years Old, irrespective of their condition.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks