Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2020, 12:33   #1
BHPian

OEM LED/HID headlights - Do they cause issues to other motorists?

The reason for the thread is my own experience in night driving. I am absolutely blinded with LED/HID headlights in certain cars. I tried attributing the same to my dwindling eyesight, however, based on conversation with folks, this seem to be a real issue. I do know LEDs and HID are different, however, they both, in general seem to emit bluish light. Doing some google made me realise that across the globe people are complaining about the same.

Quoting few for reference

https://abc3340.com/news/nation-worl...ight-less-safe
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/mot...getting-worse/
https://www.quora.com/What-will-it-t...s-to-be-banned
https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...ed-headlights/

So, what is the real issue?
  • Is there a regulation on colour temperature allowed? If so, don't think it is being followed by manufacturers.
  • Are the cut offs for low beams proper?
  • Does "cool white" really helping even the one who is driving the car?

Here are my thoughts
  • LEDs, by default produce more light per watt. So, a 60W LED would be way more brighter than a regular halogen. Government should refine/update the rules to limit the light emitted, than limit the wattage.
  • High wavelength light disperse less, hence gives more visibility to driver. This is the reason to have 3500K-4000K colour temperature (yellowish) for headlights. Anything above, due to dispersion, creates blinding effect to onlookers and is a hazard. This needs to be regulated by government, if not done already. I tend to think there could be rules that are getting violated.

Then the question is why LEDs seem to light the road ahead. It is purely because of the reason # 1 above- more light per watt.

Amongst the vehicles with LED/HID on Indian roads, some are more disturbing than others. The most disturbing headlight, by far is the one on Suzuki Baleno, and to a lesser extent Ciaz. It is definitely a higher colour temperature, normally referred as cool while, may be 6000K and it is HID, I guess. Mercedes Benz, in general, seem to have "cool white" light compared to BMW lights.

The least disturbing one I've seen is the one on Endeavour. Even the LEDs on Vento appears to be harmless.

To summarise, before it gets out of hand, government agencies need to publish rules governing the lights, matching with best use of latest technologies. Last thing I want is a rule similar to sun film ban- we need a rule that governs the desired outcome, not the means.

And, we're not even talking about aftermarket fitments.
WhiteKnight is offline   (86) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 12:56   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: OEM LED/HID headlights - Do they cause issues to other motorists?

Let me start with the major culprits (I have utmost hatred towards these companies for the same reason)

1) All scooters with white light that fluctuates according to acceleration, major pain.

2) ALL Mercedes Benzs, if you've never had Lasik eye surgery, try driving with one of these nasty cars in front of you. Except this Lasik will make you go blind.

3) Toyota Fortuner - ABSOLUTELY brutal!

4) Maruti Baleno & Ignis - another Lasik blinding surgery, curse them.

If one is totally unaware of circadian rhythm, they should Google it, our eyes are trained to recognize and adapt to yellow light, not white and for people with sensitive eyes like me, it is a harassment to have these vehicles destroy my eyesight as they come barreling down the street, considering eyes are the essential component of driving, apart from limbs.

Projectors with their rapid flashing almost gives me fits, these vehicles are a great threat on the road and should be done away with, Mercedes engineers should have their face 2 inches away from the headlight, for 2 hours, let's see how they like it.
dark.knight is offline   (89) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 13:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

I find LED's bit of a overhype. After driving cars with different types of lights, I can say the Low beam halogen + High beam HID works the best. Low beam halogens are good for oncoming traffic too! LED's are worst in foggy/rainy condition.
PrideRed is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 13:45   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Many chauffeurs hate either of them, they drive these premium cars as a means of employment. Often they dip the headlamp leveler down for better visibility and use high beam a lot out of necessity. They usually dip the beam when you give them a flash.

Then there are the newbies who love to do low-high-low disco dance for reasons that are unknown to me, sure it's not helping them see anything neither am I on high beams. Guess we will never know.
Kosfactor is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 14:00   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I find LED's bit of a overhype. After driving cars with different types of lights, I can say the Low beam halogen + High beam HID works the best. Low beam halogens are good for oncoming traffic too! LED's are worst in foggy/rainy condition.
Did you mean the otherway around? Low beam HID and high beam halogen.
sagarpadaki is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 14:12   #6

Higher wattage headlights in high beam from oncoming traffic is an annoyance while driving at night. The next vehicle norms should make Adaptive driving beam (ADB) headlamps mandatory. These headlights work by controlling headlamp beam to deliver increased roadway illumination while reducing glare for oncoming vehicles.

Driving with high beam is illegal in European countries such as UK while in US high beams must be dimmed when approaching traffic is within 500 feet.

Also a ban on after market strobe lights for brake/tail light would be welcome.
futaboy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 15:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

There was a time in Mumbai I think when people used to drive only using the parking lights since the street lights were so well lit. Honestly, I am done with this LED craze.In my experience, the Toyotas have the most piercing bi-beam lights (Corolla and Fortuner). My Creta too has a bit of a glare especially on high beam that oncoming traffic may not take too kindly to.
fhdowntheline is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 15:51   #8
BHPian

Are we just going to dicuss about blinding issues with respect to headlights? I mean, it is troublesome for the opposite guy.
What about the bright LED brake lights? Especially those new gen swift and ignis bright reds. Lot of trouble in traffic.
Torq is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 16:14   #9
BHPian

This is a big nuisance. And unfortunately one with a positive feedback loop. ie. If you get blinded by oncoming highbeams, you also switch on your high beams to see that little bit better.

And, in my experience, no amount of flashing one's high beams has ever gotten the message across. I don't see any solution for this in sight other than regulation.
batladanny is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 16:19   #10
BHPian

The only thing that comes goes through my mind when I make the mistake of momentarily looking at these eye-piercing lights and my mind goes numb, is this nursery rhyme:

Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
(Those lights are no less than stars)

How I wonder what you are!
(This is me wondering what would be the vehicle which would need this much illumination, also I need to wonder what is in my path beyond those glaring lights)

Up above the world so high,
(That's in my opinion, no offense to any owner, what they think of themselves when they zoom past with high beams)

Like a diamond in the sky.
(That's what I am left seeing after my eyes are dazzled)
HR 16 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 16:34   #11
BHPian

The constant high-beams are my main concern when driving at night. Always leaves me with a headache.

People always assume that more powerful lights mean better visibility - but they don't seem to realise that its blinding others and that is dangerous.
playingpossum is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 16:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
The reason for the thread is my own experience in night driving. I am absolutely blinded with LED/HID headlights in certain cars. I tried attributing the same to my dwindling eyesight, however, based on conversation with folks, this seem to be a real issue.
Amongst the vehicles with LED/HID on Indian roads, some are more disturbing than others. The most disturbing headlight, by far is the one on Suzuki Baleno, and to a lesser extent Ciaz..
Thanks for bringing up this issue. Initially, I also thought that my eye sight is weakening. Went for a checkup / test - was told eyesight was OK and no change from the test taken a year ago. Issue was confirmed when wife asked how I manage to keep driving when (some) headlights dazzle your vision (am practising to turn my eyes left when I see powerful headlight approaching me and concentrate on the white line on the edge of the road - where available).

Yes, I too find the Baleno's light too bright and blinding.

There doesn't seem to be any way to curb this menace, because people feel that high powered lights mean better visibility and enable them to drive faster - without realising the difficulty they pose others.

-

The intensity of beam on the ORVM also distracts me once in a while. Thankfully, IRVM is day/night type, but when high powered headlamps come close keep flashing to pass makes me focus on the car behind, when all I should do is only keep the corner of my eye there.

There are also other morons on the road - mostly mini trucks and omni buses - who fit two - or even four - additional lights on their front bumpers and blaze it away to glory. And, there are bikers who fit LEDs on their crash guard - one on either side.

Surprisingly, truck drivers seem to be more tolerant - haven't come across many with auxiliary lights and additional lamps. May be their high seating position cuts the beam intensity and they don't face the same difficulty as car drivers & bikers do?

Last edited by vrprabhu : 30th December 2020 at 17:14. Reason: Left out an item
vrprabhu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 17:01   #13
MSC
BHPian

LEDs & HIDs, both are a nuances, more so, in hills these are proving to be a disastrous.
I live in Himachal Pradesh and driving on single lane roads in high hills is nothing short of a pilot on a kamikaze mission when you encounter such people. One side you have a deep gorge and a hilly side on the other, sometimes you don't have any option but to come to a full stop as you are literally blinded with these beams.
There definitely has to be a limit upto which the lights should be having an intensity as everyone is well aware how many times people dip their beams for incoming traffic.
Frankly speaking, I have been living in hills since birth and have owned three cars. A Hyundai Santro, Tata Nano and Hyundai Venue. I have never ever felt lights to be underpowered despite driving day in and day out in deep fogs or pouring rains. All my lights setup have been a stock headlamp with a pair of yellow fog lamps, as white lights are useless in fogs. Other than that I never felt any need to upgrade the lights.
God only knows if I have a super eye sight or people have weak ones that these days cars can be seen with LED headlights accompanied with LED fog lamps and to top it all, a LED bar.

Last edited by MSC : 30th December 2020 at 17:03.
MSC is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 17:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Literally abhor LED headlights. They ruin the driving experience at night and I try to avoid night driving on undivided highways. I dont think that LED lights are best in monsoon or in fog, but its being marketed and sold as 2050 technology in 2020. Adding to agony is high beam being just ON. When will people understand use of low and high beam ? Weekend drive in outskirts of city is loaded with sagging rear end of cars (Baleno specially when fully loaded) with their LED headlights on high beam. However, its noteworthy that VW headlights are not that hurting. Factor in two wheelers and aftermarket fitment of LED bulbs/lights and night drives are crazy. Any undulation on road and the two wheeler will have its beam bouncing up and down, it actually makes me feel if they are flashing headlight unnecessarily. Somehow, I have observed three wheeler having LED lights installed at height on roof that blinds oncoming traffic.
aaggoswami is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 17:33   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batladanny View Post
This is a big nuisance. And unfortunately one with a positive feedback loop. ie. If you get blinded by oncoming highbeams, you also switch on your high beams to see that little bit better.

And, in my experience, no amount of flashing one's high beams has ever gotten the message across. I don't see any solution for this in sight other than regulation.
I have seen that this feedback often results in two blind vehicles moving forward at each other - not the best thing to do in my opinion.

Dim your lights, Slow down or stop if the shoulder of the road is not visible. Heavy vehicles and bigger UVs have an advantage of ride height and many more 1000s of KMs under their belt. You can irritate them however to the extend that they will ever so slightly move to your lane and then you will go off the road.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed