Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2021, 00:18   #1

Preparing a car for a 50,000 mile road-trip around the world

Disclaimer: This is not a trip that I did. I came across this post of a man named Dan Grec who drove around the coast of Africa. It was inspiring and interesting. I felt like sharing it with the rest of the community here.

https://jalopnik.com/how-to-prepare-...newtab-intl-en

I have come across travelogues of people who have traveled across countries in their vehicles earlier too. I wonder what does it take mentally as well as from a preparation point of view to drive through borders and countries (many of which are in conflict)

Moderators: I did read the rules before posting this but if I have missed out anything or if there is a different place to share links like these, happy to move this to the appropriate place.
aishmishra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 12:02   #2
BHPian

Re: Preparing a car for a 50,000 mile road-trip around the world

Was reminded of this epic travelogue. London to Jammu.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...nge-rover.html (London to Jammu: With a Range Rover)

Sadly the thread has been abandoned incomplete since 2018.
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 18:09   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Mr Aditya Kapoor, son of Late actor Mr Shammi Kapoor had embarked upon such a world tour with his Triumph Bonneville, about three years ago in 2018. He had delivered a talk on his very exciting experience during the entire 35,000 km drive that took him through many countries. A thread with this link jots down some of his experiences and adventures. The talk was during his en route halt while on his way back home to Goa.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...neville-2.html (Aditya Kapoor: 35,000 km around the world on a Triumph Bonneville)
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 21:21   #4
BHPian

I am curious on a few things for such cross country trips.
  • Does the Vehicle make and model must be one that has service center in every country on the route where more than a certain threshold of distance / days would be covered?
  • On a related should the vehicle be an international model (even if not in international spec) for ready availability of spares?
  • Is it necessary to carry wear and tear spares if not accidental spares?
  • How does the insurance work in different countries?
  • How to settle traffic fines if the same cannot be settled on spot or requires a local process to be followed involving more than a day's work? Some local agent to be hired for facilitating all general purpose logistics?

I would certainly take an older car and not a new car owing to the uncertainties involved and considering the cars would depreciate heavily if new car runs 35,000 - 50,000 miles in the first 2 years.

Last edited by haisaikat : 16th June 2021 at 21:24.
haisaikat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 23:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

With the current pandemic situation it is better to put off any plans of such until the world is completely rid of this virus. Obviously the number one factor would be pre-planning. Taking visas for the countries though which one is planning to transit, booking hotels and also service centers to get the vehicle in shape. All this involves a lot of money and if one cant afford it, better to find sponsors. This is why vehicles on such trips are often covered in sponsor stickers.

It is also important to get one's wills and documents updated before such trips. Ensure access to funds/savings/deposits/documents/investments are given to loved ones in case of any unfortunate event.

A Team-Bhp thread on a journey from Mumbai to London:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ai-london.html (Planning a drive from Mumbai to London)
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 23:03   #6
BHPian

This family of four drove from Bangalore to Paris in their Fiat Linea T-Jet

Link

It seems more than anything else you need the will and the energy.
fordday is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 02:27   #7
BHPian

If one wants to understand the thought process behind building an Overlander, I would strongly recommend checking out 4XOverland on YT.

Andrew the channel owner runs an outfit in Aus and South Africa prepping Land Cruisers LC200, LC70 into Overlanders.
motorpsycho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 20:00   #8
BHPian

When you think about a trip this big, it is natural to have a million questions. Some questions can be answered by searching online. Reading experiences of others who have done it. But I would suggest that if someone is thinking of doing a big trip like this in the future then first they should at least attempt an all India tour. That way they get to experience a proper road trip. Also it will help answer many unanswered questions I am sure. If you look at India as a whole, even if one decides to take the direct rout to tour the country then you are looking at 5000kms plus. If one decides to take a scenic route crisscrossing the interiors as well then you are looking at almost double that.

This would be the best way to get answers to the questions and prepare for such an epic trip.
amrisharm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 22:29   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

The most important bit of advice in that article:
Quote:
Factory reliability can only decrease with each modification, so I never modify the driveline, engine and other key systems.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks