Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2021, 13:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

GM removes idling start-stop from some cars; gives $50 discount

With the silicon chip shortage continuing to affect vehicle production, American automaker General Motors seems to have found a temporary solution.

GM removes idling start-stop from some cars; gives  discount-2021cadillacescalade072.jpg

According to a media report, in order to reduce the number of chips required in production, General Motors has removed the automatic start-stop feature in a number of its products. As compensation for selling a vehicle without the listed feature, the brand is offering customers a $50 discount on the model's base price.

GM removes idling start-stop from some cars; gives  discount-2021chevrolettahoehighcountry056.jpg

The list of vehicles without the automatic start-stop include a number of full-size SUVs and pickups, built on or before June 7, 2021. The affected models include SUVs such as the Chevy Tahoe, Chevy Suburban, GMC Yukon and the Cadillac Escalade, along with the Chevy Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 pickups.

GM removes idling start-stop from some cars; gives  discount-2021gmcyukonat4401.jpg

Diesel-powered variants of the above-mentioned models are not affected. The missing start-stop feature is only on those variants which are powered either by the 5.3-litre and 6.2-litre petrol V8s, paired with the 10-speed automatic transmission.

GM removes idling start-stop from some cars; gives  discount-2021chevroletsilveradotrailboss034.jpg

According to a statement from a GM official, the removal of the feature gives the company a chance to continue the production of its in-demand models.

Source: CarandDriver

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 23rd June 2021 at 13:38.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 14:02   #2
BHPian

Re: GM removes idling start-stop from some cars; gives $50 discount

Just out of curiosity I went to check on the US configurator website, found this. Not sure how customers will take this.

GM removes idling start-stop from some cars; gives  discount-untitled.png
sagar iswalkar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 17:41   #3
Team-BHP Support

Will work in the US but not in Europe where taxation is emissions related. Removing the stop-start increases emissions in theory. Not in practice where increased wear and tear shortens engine life
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 17:49   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Very curious. The way Ford put it the start stop function is a separate function through dedicated hardware (chipsets)? Anybody any insights into this? I doubt that some how.

Would they still supply the vehicle with the same battery and startermotor or will that every to standards as well? In which case they are going to make a fortune in cost saving.

I am surprised they can actually do this. The start/stop function is normally part of the fuel efficiency and emission specification. Not sure as I am no expert but I thought it is part of the EU emission certification as well. So just leaving it off the car would affect the certification or at least the fuel efficiency and emission. Not by much, but still.

Anybody some more expert insight in how this works in the USA?

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 20:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good riddance ! Start stop features are really useless unless one is in an very congested urban environment. Even then prolonged shut down of the engine will affect cooling levels of the air conditioner. Someone who has set out to buy heavy vehicles such as these will not think about fuel efficiency. If possible one would pay $50 extra towards GM get rid of such features !
TrackDay is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 21:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
If possible one would pay $50 extra towards GM get rid of such features !
A few people have paid me to disable it in VAG cars. I did it with OBDeleven. This start stop feature is useless.
Indian2003 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 09:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Start-stop systems, cylinder de-activation are a bunch of nonsense, especially in the American context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Would they still supply the vehicle with the same battery and startermotor .....
Knowing the cost-cutting in GM, they are probably using previous gen stuff and making huge savings of a couple of hundred dollars per car. A small part of the savings is passed onto the customer.

Quote:
I am surprised they can actually do this.
There's always a way to bypass regulation in this land of extreme capitalism. If the automakers don't meet CAFE, they can buy carbon credits.

That's how Tesla makes their money.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/18/tesl...explained.html
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 09:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
A few people have paid me to disable it in VAG cars. I did it with OBDeleven. This start stop feature is useless.
Exactly, I will pay $50 to disable it, if any of my cars had this feature
It's one feature, i absolutely hate to the core; I wonder, if there are any savings from this, apart from increasing wear and tear
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed