Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2007, 23:37   #1
BHPian

Coming up BMW's M1 following the new M3

Recent topics here at Team-Bhp's "International Automotive Scene" have been about BMW's F3 or the new Skyline, the new Audi A5/S5 and maybe some of us must've already discussed BMW's new M3 with the 4~ litre V8 that produces a whopping 400+ horsepower to lock-horns with Audi's RS4 (420bhp~) and a massive 50grand UK pounds price tag.
Here's a few pics of the new M3....following which i'll tell you guys what I've heard might happen to the engines from the current M3

So now I guess the BMW chaps have decided to go "M" throughout its range... the had the BMW M3, the M5 then came the muscular M6. Well they thought lets put some power in our entry level 1 series.... which will then be the M1. According to UK's car online it might mostly be powered by the 300+ horsepower inline six from the current M3. I wonder what the existing M3 owners would have to say about that ... Here's what the M1 might look like. Also they're not sure if they want to call it the M1 ...

Doesn't look anything on the lines of the original M1.. pictured below....
Here's some details
What do you guys think?

Last edited by highwayblaze : 7th May 2007 at 23:39.
Old 7th May 2007, 23:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Only one word ugly the car looks ugly the front is worse than the verna but everyone has his or her own opinion
Old 8th May 2007, 00:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

its a decent photochop, i really dont like it but dont hate it either..but it would be nice to see it become available..
Old 8th May 2007, 00:08   #4
BHPian

I really hope its lighter than the existing 3 series.
The NEW M3 is lighter than the existing one inspite of a bigger engine. So its definitely going to be faster with lesser weight and almost 100 more ponies.

I'm not a big fan of the new BMW looks either... and there's always other choices then such as the Audi or the new C - class AMG!!
Old 8th May 2007, 00:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

They already have the 265 bhp 130i M Sport hatch, which is quite a RWD hooligan by itself.

I wonder what will happen when they plonk in a 300+bhp motor into the 1 series!!!!!

Sounds VERY evil to me
Old 8th May 2007, 00:15   #6
BHPian

You know what. I'm starting to wonder how pissed the existing m3 owners would be if they see the same engine on a 1 series...
Oh and by the way guys its projected that the new M3 will cost twice as much as the existing one in the US. close to the M5. I think thats tooooo much! Just go and buy a 35-38K Mitsu Evo or Impreza STi and have just as much fun.
Old 8th May 2007, 00:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze View Post
I really hope its lighter than the existing 3 series.
The NEW M3 is lighter than the existing one inspite of a bigger engine. So its definitely going to be faster with lesser weight and almost 100 more ponies.

I'm not a big fan of the new BMW looks either... and there's always other choices then such as the Audi or the new C - class AMG!!
I think the engine weighs less but the overall body is heavier or the same. Atleast thats what i read somewhere, i know the engine is 33 lb lighter than the older v6..and the power to weight ratio of the M3 will be about 8.4hp/lb making it 347X Lbs which is about the same as the older M3. But then again i am not 100% sure..

As for the M1 or whatever it will be called, it should be a good 500 lb lighter, i cant imagine that small a car be as heavy as the M3 which seems considerably bigger from pictures..
Old 8th May 2007, 00:21   #8
BHPian

the thought of a 135 CSi(yes, make it a CSi and avoid the confusion with the M1) is haunting my dreams. the performance figures are already on par with the old inline 6 and a lot more can be unleashed with a bit of chip tuning.

edit: isn't the us getting a 1-series coupe soon. that would be a true to roots 2002 decendent.

Last edited by heelntoe : 8th May 2007 at 00:23.
Old 8th May 2007, 00:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You know what. I'm starting to wonder how pissed the existing m3 owners would be if they see the same engine on a 1 series...
Oh and by the way guys its projected that the new M3 will cost twice as much as the existing one in the US. close to the M5. I think thats tooooo much! Just go and buy a 35-38K Mitsu Evo or Impreza STi and have just as much fun.
The price point is not true, the old M3 started @ 47, but a good priced version always ended up in the upper 50s to almost 60s fully loaded, the new one is going to be starting @ around lower 60s and loaded @ about lower 70s where the old M5 started, they couldnt make the mistake of pricing M3 with the M5..

And also if you see the pricing from UK, the price is 50k which is about the same as the RS4 which comes to 65k here..so lets see, i really hope they dont go into the 70s for the base of the M3, else it would kill the market for it..

The new EVO-X or the Lexus IS-F(granted it wouldnt handle as good) would be at a much better price point..and probably as much or more powerful...
Old 8th May 2007, 00:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt it - the 130i M Sport, for instance costs just about Dhs.5,000 (thats about USD1500) less than a 330i, and is already in the lower 5-series territory. Its not cheap by any means, so an M1 - if there is such a creature - will not cannibalize M3 sales.
Old 8th May 2007, 00:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
The price point is not true, the old M3 started @ 47, but a good priced version always ended up in the upper 50s to almost 60s fully loaded, the new one is going to be starting @ around lower 60s and loaded @ about lower 70s where the old M5 started, they couldnt make the mistake of pricing M3 with the M5..

And also if you see the pricing from UK, the price is 50k which is about the same as the RS4 which comes to 65k here..so lets see, i really hope they dont go into the 70s for the base of the M3, else it would kill the market for it..
Oh ok then thats ok. I'd started to do the stupid mistake of already converting pounds to dollars and getting surprised by the numbers for a sports premium coupe'.

Quote:
The new EVO-X or the Lexus IS-F(granted it wouldnt handle as good) would be at a much better price point..and probably as much or more powerful...
Great point there man. the IS-F is hot ain't it??? Do you know anything about its pricing??
In general i think the IS series are great, i wish the 350 had manual tranny though :(
Old 8th May 2007, 00:34   #12
BHPian

Quote:

FYI all those who're reading and don't know about the Lexus IS-F here's a pic. It'll be powered by a V-8 and compete with the M3 and RS4 and likes....!!!

Here's some more pics

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks