Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2008, 22:25   #16
BHPian

Jeremy clarkson was/is in love with the GT coz its a reincarnation of the legendary british Ford GT 40. I'm sure all of you who saw TG episodes regularly know that the new GT has the worlds WORST reliability. In one of the episodes he said that he's NEVER EVER driven that car with EVERYTHING in it working properly. Atleast some thing failed each time. He sent it over back to the US to get it fixed at one time.

And btw that 1000HP Ford GT that "1day" mentioned there's video on video.google.com for the work on that car. LOL he dropped so much money on it and then some dude with a Hayabusa with air shifters beat him in a street drag race LOLLLL. His face was worth seeing then!
I love Ford GT they sound a look fabulous but I would never buy one! (or atleast i think so )
Old 14th March 2008, 00:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Never occured to me that it'd be a replica - that's for you experts to work out.
If it fools a few more duffers like me, I wouldn't mind owning a replica .
Dont worry, it doesn't need expertise to tell. The first and easiest pointer was the windscreen, second the lack of mass at the point the engine should have been.
Old 14th March 2008, 06:05   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Dont worry, it doesn't need expertise to tell. The first and easiest pointer was the windscreen, second the lack of mass at the point the engine should have been.
Inititally i thought it might be some weird mach1 / mk2 or some lesser known version of the GT40 (*1) since it looked so strange, however the first things that tipped me off was the fact that the rear tyres (*2) were about half as wide as they should have been if it was a real one (or even a real-good replica), and too add to that, the car seemed a lot taller than it should have been.

Pics :
(*1)
Ford GT-fordgt40mach1b.jpg

(*2)
Ford GT-1968-ford-gt40-mk-i-gulf-engine.jpg

cya
R
Old 16th March 2008, 02:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
and too add to that, the car seemed a lot taller than it should have been.
Yup. The original is only 40 inches tall and hence the name. The 21st century Ford GT was 42 inches.
Old 16th March 2008, 13:32   #20
BHPian

Nice car, the Ford GT. I saw one in downtown Montreal last year, we even followed it around a few blocks, but it was too quick and nimble for our Ford Taurus rental around Montreal traffic.

I won't mind owning one over a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, if I had that kind of money. I just love the sound and the looks, so seductive.
Old 16th March 2008, 14:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Cobra

I am "Olde School". I like the Ford sports car named after India's national bird, the Ford Cobra! Circa 1965.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford GT-ford-cobra.jpg  

Old 16th March 2008, 22:30   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I am "Olde School". I like the Ford sports car named after India's national bird, the Ford Cobra! Circa 1965.
Dude, the Indian National Bird is peacock! Unless u want to say that this cars called the ford peacock !
Old 17th March 2008, 01:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Wow I thought a cobra is a snake.

But Dan I concur with you, I like the original AC Ace though. Less of a caricature. Imagine what that will do with an RB26 or even the 7M-GTE from the Supra.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford GT-acace1958front.jpg  

Last edited by ananthkamath : 17th March 2008 at 01:44.
Old 17th March 2008, 02:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
Wow I thought a cobra is a snake.

But Dan I concur with you, I like the original AC Ace though. Less of a caricature. Imagine what that will do with an RB26 or even the 7M-GTE from the Supra.
Supra would be quick. But this had a 427 cubic inch V-8 in it. I would like to hear it start up once. Actually, the Cobra was a harmless song bird until 1947. Then a rich fat lady from the Punjab, who did not like being awakened early in the morning by this bird, paid a sizable bribe to a high government official shortly after Independence and the Cobra was made into a snake by national decree.
Old 17th March 2008, 13:06   #25
HPP
BHPian

That earlier pic is a horrible kit car(Probably based on the Fiero). The Ford GT is definitely a beautiful car, but it had a lot of mechanical setbacks which ended the production of them prematurely. But with a pair of turbo's, they can easily make 1000whp.

And that first pic of the Cobra is a kit as well I believe, but those are beautiful cars.

Both have undeniable history and are legends in the car world(originals).
Old 17th March 2008, 20:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

I remember seeing Kari's plans of making a GT40 replica in an old Auto India mag. Wonder if there are any prototypes remaining in and around Coimbatore.
Old 17th March 2008, 22:32   #27
BHPian

Quote:
We get these kits dont we? SC Cobra. You can buy the body/frame and install your own engine too right?
Old 18th March 2008, 01:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

Yeah you can buy Shelby replicas. Factory Five is the most popular from the looks of it. I haven't seen an AC Ace replica yet.

Back on topic, Superformance makes a great (looking) GT40 replica. Check it out:
Superformance | GT 40
Old 18th March 2008, 02:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

Checked it out.

Quote:

Superformance makes a great (looking) GT40 replica. Check it out:
Superformance | GT 40
Checked it out. It's a work of art, IMHO. Not a good off-roader though. Have to leave it home when traversing the Manali-Leh road.
Old 18th March 2008, 03:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I remember seeing Kari's plans of making a GT40 replica in an old Auto India mag. Wonder if there are any prototypes remaining in and around Coimbatore.
The one in Delhi used to belong to Kari originally, unless I'm mistaken. It's a kit car replica.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks