Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2021, 20:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford introduces new petrol fragrance 'Mach-Eau' to help ease the transition to EVs

Ford has introduced a new premium fragrance called 'Mach-Eau' aimed to help ease the transition to EVs. The new fragrance is said to offer a smell similar to traditional petrol-powered cars.

Ford introduces new petrol fragrance 'Mach-Eau' to help ease the transition to EVs-fordpetrolfragrance1.jpg

Instead of just smelling like petrol, the new premium fragrance is said to fuse smoky accords, aspects of rubber and even an 'animal' element - a nod to the Mustang heritage. It was revealed alongside the European debut of the Mustang Mach-E GT at the 2021 Goodwood Festival of Speed.

Ford introduces new petrol fragrance 'Mach-Eau' to help ease the transition to EVs-fordpetrolfragrance2.jpeg

According to a survey commissioned by Ford, one in five drivers stated that the smell of petrol is what they would miss when swapping to electric vehicles. The survey results showed that almost 70 per cent claimed they would miss the smell of petrol to some degree after shifting to EVs. The survey also stated that the smell of petrol ranked even higher than both wine and cheese.

Ford introduces new petrol fragrance 'Mach-Eau' to help ease the transition to EVs-fordpetrolfragrance3.jpeg

Ford hopes that the new fragrance will help further generate interest in electric vehicles. The American brand also hopes to dispel myths about EVs and convince even traditional car enthusiasts about the potential of electric cars.

While the new fragrance has been developed by Ford, the carmaker is yet to launch it in the market.

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 18th July 2021 at 20:04.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 09:10   #2
BHPian

Re: Ford introduces new petrol fragrance 'Mach-Eau' to help ease the transition to EVs

This may well become a hit even with ICE owners!!
pineapple_ameet is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 09:20   #3
BHPian

Re: Ford introduces new petrol fragrance 'Mach-Eau' to help ease the transition to EVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Ford has introduced a new premium fragrance called 'Mach-Eau' aimed to help ease the transition to EVs. The new fragrance is said to offer a smell similar to traditional petrol-powered cars.
Though good, I feel they should change their strategy for India rather than contemplating exiting our market.
livelyyoungman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 09:32   #4
BHPian

Quote:
The new fragrance is said to offer a smell similar to traditional petrol-powered cars.

Instead of just smelling like petrol, the new premium fragrance is said to fuse smoky accords, aspects of rubber and even an 'animal' element - a nod to the Mustang heritage.

The survey results showed that almost 70 per cent claimed they would miss the smell of petrol to some degree after shifting to EVs. The survey also stated that the smell of petrol ranked even higher than both wine and cheese.
If your car smells of fuel or rubber or smoke or animal, you have probably collided with some unfortunate four legged creature, despite slamming the brakes hard. In all probability, the animal was a horned one and the collision has resulted in the pointy protrusion puncturing your fuel lines, if not the tank.

Stay calm, immediately vacate the vehicle and step far away, preferably behind some shelter.
Call the emergency services and patiently await their arrival.

On a more serious note, I think Ford might have hit the jackpot. Motoring is not just about feel and engine roar and throbbing. It is about smell too. Almost everyone absolutely love the "new car" smell (even though science has shown it's all toxic vapours). Since childhood, i always loved the petrol smell.
I predict a commercial success for this product.
RedTerrano is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 10:33   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapple_ameet View Post
This may well become a hit even with ICE owners!!
I was about to comment that I would purchase even if I don't have any plans to purchase an EV anytime soon, but thought that would add very little value to the thread.
Old 19th July 2021, 20:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

This one made me really laugh. Car companies introducing fragrances to assist the transition to EVs !

Imagine wearing this and going to office. Most probably your colleagues will think you work part time at a gas station. Who really comes up with these ideas ? Also will this be sold only to those who buy EVs from Ford ? Anyways will be interesting to see how this shapes up sales wise. If it is a success other perfume makers too will jump into this boat !
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 22:03   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

People are so innovative to come up with such ideas, last one was V8 exhaust note for Tesla.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/839216/...exhaust-sound/

Quote:
The survey results showed that almost 70 per cent claimed they would miss the smell of petrol to some degree after shifting to EVs.
Lowering the windows in signals or near gas station is an easy fix
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 16:00   #8
BHPian

Honestly.. I love the smell of petrol ! and earth when it rains !! But these are natural. I would rather sniff around my TVS NTorq than spend a small fortune on Ford 'petrol' perfume.

Like torn jeans and pre-stained T Shirts, I am sure there are pockets of people who will buy this and wear it proudly ! I would mutter 'morons' behind their backs and hold back a sniffle.
Old 23rd July 2021, 00:57   #9
BHPian

I can understand that people will miss the smell of petrol when they are in an EV car. Cannot fathom if there are people who love to smell it at all other times. Yes, it is not pure petrol smell but with other additives. Still a petrol-esque smell.

A car fragrance emanating petrol like smell makes more sense than a body fragrance. Then again, these are strange times. I pray I don't run into someone wearing this perfume.
Old 23rd July 2021, 10:00   #10
BHPian

I can't say about the perfume but I like the bottle which resembles fuel pump station. 🙂
CarNerd is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks