Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2021, 17:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Series receives a special 70th-anniversary edition

Toyota unveiled the latest iteration of its flagship SUV, the Land Cruiser 300 Series earlier this year. The Japanese brand is also celebrating the 70th anniversary of its popular SUV this year and has released a special-edition model to mark the occasion.

The new special-edition Toyota Land Cruiser is based on the brand's older 70 Series iteration. The Land Cruiser 70 Series, which first went on sale in 1984, is still sold in some international markets like Australia and the Middle East.

Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Series receives a special 70th-anniversary edition-toyotalandcruiser70anniversary1.jpg

The 70th-anniversary edition of the Toyota Land Cruiser is based on the range-topping 'GXL' variant. The special-edition model will be limited to just 600 units, including 320 double cabs, 200 single cabs and 80 wagons. These will also be offered with a choice of three paint schemes - Sany Taupe, Merlot Red and French Vanilla.

The anniversary edition of the 70 Series Land Cruiser comes with a redesigned front grille with the 'Toyota' lettering, replacing the logo. The SUV also features blacked-out wheels arches and front bumpers. The special edition model comes with LED DRLs, 16-inch darkened alloy wheels, LED fog lamps and 'Heritage' and '70th Anniversary' emblems to help differentiate from the standard model.

Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Series receives a special 70th-anniversary edition-toyotalandcruiser70anniversary2.jpg

The updates continue on to the inside as well with the anniversary edition featuring black upholstery for the seats, a leather-wrapped steering wheel and a gear lever. There are also faux wood trims all around, along with plenty of equipment such as a type-A USB charging port, power windows, five airbags and many more.

Mechanically, the anniversary edition stays identical to the standard model. The 70th anniversary Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Series comes powered by a 4.5-litre turbocharged V8 diesel engine. It produces 202 BHP and 430 Nm and is paired with a 5-speed manual gearbox, sending power to all four wheels.

The Land Cruiser also gets a four-wheel-drive gear with a low-range transfer case. It also features front and rear locking differentials, a snorkel, a 130-litre fuel tank and a towing capacity of 3,500 kg.

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 18:28   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Series receives a special 70th-anniversary edition

I wish they had sold this in the UK and I would have bought one by hook or crook! Absolutely love the boxy design of the 70 series. I think they used to come in a blue colour which looked fabulous, or maybe the one I saw had aftermarket paintjob!
BlackPearl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 20:01   #3
BHPian

No matter how many design evolutions the automakers make these days, nothing comes close to the classic Boxy and simple designs. This and the Defenders. Nothing can contest from today's world
karthikd21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 20:31   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Australians and South Africans swear by these! If I recall the 70 series costs $70k AUD for a SUV that is so barebones that no one can believe it but yet it sells for it’s capabilities off the road. Over the 70k people spend huge amounts decking it up with the necessary off-road gear. The 4.5L V8 with a decent 201bhp and only 430Nm gets the job done!

CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 22:11   #5
BHPian

The new LC 70 review launched in Australia earlier this year.

Last edited by AJITHAAA : 10th August 2021 at 22:12. Reason: update
AJITHAAA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 22:34   #6
BHPian

I have seen so many videos from Ronny Dahl about the 70 Series Modified as an Overland Vehicle in Australia and I simply love this beast. It follows the basics, Manual Transmission for that extra control in your hands and feet. 400+ nm Torque, which is good enough to get out of tricky situations and Locking DIffs along with a Huge Fuel tank so that you can crunch miles together.

I wish if this was sold in India.
Old 11th August 2021, 03:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

They have kept it simple, like the original.

I like the Digital Clock, old school radio/CD player, slider controls for the Air Conditioning and analog instrument cluster. What could possibly go wrong in here!
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 04:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Australians and South Africans swear by these! If I recall the 70 series costs $70k AUD for a SUV that is so barebones that no one can believe it but yet it sells for it’s capabilities off the road. Over the 70k people spend huge amounts decking it up with the necessary off-road gear. The 4.5L V8 with a decent 201bhp and only 430Nm gets the job done!

https://Youtu.be/RIt5D6hjm7c
Its the overland vehicle of choice here in Australia unless you want more creature comforts without adding them yourself, in which case we just chopped LC200 in half and turned it to an overland vehicle

That said those engine outputs are stock factory tune which is very conservative and none of the Overland mods keep it stock. Its easy enough to get 700nm and around 300 bhp reliably from this block.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 09:34   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw scoop pics of these in some UAE based instagram pages.

Could only make out the darkened headlights, steering wheel from the base Hilux and new storage options in the center console. Thought it was some GCC market special. Didn't notice it was the 70th anniversary edition.

Though Toyota can still upgrade and sell the LC70 for many more years, along with the comfort oriented SUVs, just wish they would launch a next gen in the manner of the G class (not the Defender approach). Something like the show offy/luxury variant or spiritual successor to the FJ cruiser. Of course the current LC70 can continue to be sold alongside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I think they used to come in a blue colour which looked fabulous, or maybe the one I saw had aftermarket paintjob!
A dark blue colour? Think it was offered in the 5 door wagon model, at least in the Australian market. Teenage me would daydream of importing a dark blue LC70 wagon model. Stealth wealth mobile, as I thought most people in India would mistake it for a Qualis. Stupid me.
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 21:33   #10
BHPian

Will Toyota allot some units to India?
Old 16th August 2023, 09:54   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

2024 Toyota LandCruiser 70 short-wheelbase spied.

The facelifted 2024 Toyota Landcruiser 70 Series has been spied for the first time in a three-door short-wheelbase format and is fitted with an automatic transmission.

Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Series receives a special 70th-anniversary edition-f3ir9gsayaes7sw.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 13:35   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
2024 Toyota LandCruiser 70 short-wheelbase spied.

The facelifted 2024 Toyota Landcruiser 70 Series has been spied for the first time in a three-door short-wheelbase format and is fitted with an automatic transmission.
Aah. The 3 door hardtop did make it.

Guess it is only headed to the GCC market. Not sure if it is being sold in any other market. Currently it has the 4.0l V6 petrol manual with the 4.5l V8 diesel manual reserved for the pickups and 5 door wagon only. Guess it would have got the 2.8l diesel with automatic now.
Old 15th September 2023, 11:54   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

New photos of Toyota Land Cruiser 70 version dedicated to the Middle East, from the Yoshiwara factory in Japan for Toyota Land Cruiser 70 (three-door version and five-door version) model 2024 version.

Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Series receives a special 70th-anniversary edition-screenshot-20230915-115141.png

Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Series receives a special 70th-anniversary edition-screenshot-20230915-115157.png

Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Series receives a special 70th-anniversary edition-screenshot-20230915-115215.png

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks